By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: games nowadays look so realistic that they all look the same

trying to fix his broken link.

Lets see if this works:

http://nintendoeverything.com/miyamoto-says-star-fox-zeros-style-was-made-with-a-purpose-games-look-the-same-these-days/

*edit: yep I fixed it guys, you can now read whatever it was OP wanted you to see.

Around the Network

There is a difference though between realistics art style and pushing technology. Kingdom Hearts 3 and the new Ratchet and Clank aren't realistic art styles but they are still on the cutting edge of graphics.

I completely agree with him.
Most games look the same today. Taking a different artstyle is much more important than having the best graphics possible imo.
That's why I still prefer Nintendo.
Modern games just don't do it for me.

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

I'm not a fan of post-Wii Miyamoto, but he makes a good point here.

Intire article :
(cuz its so short its clickbait worthy to link it, I feel when its just one tiny quote)

In a press event Sunday, Miyamoto said that the point of Star Fox Zero is the gameplay and the visual style of the game, which is somewhat cartoony. It was made that way with a purpose. “A lot of games nowadays look so realistic that they all look the same,” Miyamoto said.

^ this is what the link shows if you click it.

Basically everything in the article is right there in the "link" name, that goes to the site, no need to even visit it.

Check the comments to it:

"Because as we all know a realistic looking fox in clothing would look so appealing." (sarcastic remark)

"At this point I think they are just saying bs to try to do damage control. You can have a cartoony style and still looking like a current generation game. And I'm not even one of those who complains about graphics and stuff"

"Miyamoto is delusional ..........It seems this guy didn't see other games besides the Nintendo kids games he???"

"I understand what you mean. There are so many developers trying to make their games look as real as they can, but most of the time they are not cartoony games and more human. This is Star Fox, if you tried to make it look a bit more realistic, it would look amazing!"

Doesnt sound like anyone is happy with StarFox not looking better than it does.

Around the Network

I also feel like Miyamoto is kind of pulling this opinion out of his ass too. Yeah, a lot of games that may be considered AAA employ a more realistic art style because it's the best choice for that series. Could you imagine if Uncharted was more cartoony in anyway? If Until Dawn decided to go more colorful instead of realistic? If Gears of War decided that colors popping or a less realistic style was better than a more realistic gritty look?

Games pick the most fitting art style. If realistic doesn't fit Nintendo's time, budget, and overall style, that's fine. Acting as if other games are doing something wrong for employing more realistic looks that people are, you know, asking for just smells like jealously and frustration over criticism towards the look of some of Nintendo's latest announcements.

Edit: Even then, he's missing the mark on Starfox. People aren't saying the overall style is bad, but rather, the quality looks like something out of the Gamecube era in quite a few places currently. This is just dumb all the way through lol

Yep this is Damage controll / PR spin by Nintendo... in re-action to people complaining about starfox's graphics.

Bloodborne, Knack, Infamous Second Son, Little Big Planet, Horizon, Uncharted, The Last Guardian, Ratchet and Clank, Final Fantasy XV, Street Fighter, Fallout 4, Doom, StarWars Battlefront, Halo 5, Sunset Overdrive, Fable Legends all look different... Theres obviously variety. I think its not so much about the games looking so realistic they all look the same, its about a lack of artstyle amongst games that are literally based on realism (military FPS games). I'd agree there should be diversity in game setting amongst AAA

Edit: after reading the article this is just a lame excuse for Starfox looking underwhelming lol.

JRPGfan said:

Doesnt sound like anyone is happy with StarFox not looking better than it does.

I'm happy with how it looks, I think people are exaggerating, graphics are not that bad. Obviously they are not great, but, the game is not too painful to see. But I'm thinking how people reacted when we first saw Super Mario 3D World, and look how it turned out. It needs some polish, but I like the art style and the cartoonish feeling of the game. 

He is not jelous, he is totally right, I have been telling this for years. When all the games are only trying to look like reality they all look... like reality, they all look the same, there is no artistic value in those games, not genuine vision, only a copy from reality.