By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 40% of PS4 owners didn't own a PS3!

I've been saying for the longest, the PS4 community is almost like a homecoming of the ps2 era. The PS2 base was severed by the 360 and a lot of gamers jumped ship to Microsoft and have recently returned to Playstation.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
GTstation said:

Wish all you want, theres only about 10 million Xones in the market.  Millions will use bc on it is a total joke now and in the future.  Especially since it i can tell you now it will never be 100% BC.  Even more so its not actually playing of the dics, you have to downlaod the whoel game.  Do you plan on having 30 hds hooked up ? My X1 is nearly full and thats just game updates and mandatory installs, while i had to slap a 2tb hd in my PS4 to keep up with it all.

Millions are playing Old Gears Halos or Cods, i seriously doubt that.  Halo 4 had about 20k online players a year after release.  

You do understand the X1 is still growing, right? And the userbase is more like 12 million.

Xbox 360 games are actually pretty small compared to 8th gen or even PS3 games (disc games are usually 4 - 7 GB). If you're low on space, get a USB powered external HDD. I did, works great.

There are likely a million or millions still playing Gears, Halo, or CoDs on 360 periodically. For game to have peaks of 20K in 24 hours, then there is a significantly higher number of uniques throughout the day. I'll elaborate on that if you need me to.

Dude, a lot people still play old shooters. I play MCC and I can tell you people fucking love playing Halo 1 and 2 still. You'd be surprised how many old games on 360 still have an active online population.

Playstation's long term future looks bleak given the Playstation brand is actually shrinking. Don't forget, their mobile gaming market is basically dead. While major companies like Valve and MS could easily make a service to compete with PS Now and offer more. You say Sony is milking cash out of PS Now, but its uncertain if the service is profitable. They certainly haven't made back the $380 million they spent acquiring the tech for PS Now.

Oh come on. You want to talk about the Playstation brand shrinking but in relation to the competition it as strong as ever. Hardware sales are down, but the people who are buying hardware and buying more games.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

d21lewis said:
They would really benefit from backwards compatibility! They missed a lot of good games on PS3!

How would that 40% benefit from backwards compatibility if they never owned a PS3 and PS3 games?

They're better off playing it on PS Now if they never owned the game in the first place.

CPU: Ryzen 9950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

I'm part of that 40%. I upgraded from my awesome ps2.

I'm all for remasters, gimme!

Mr Puggsly said:

I dunno, I expect maybe 50 million units? X1 can still have a big userbase, albeit smaller than PS4.

I've seen a few thousand playing Titanfall on 360 at once during peak hours. The thing is people have so many options, you don't see everybody flocking to a single game. But there are certainly millions of people still 360 games online periodically.

You're wrong, many still like playing Halo 1 and 2. Not everybody is a graphics whore. Its a sad, sad reality. Just ask the people that play Minecraft, a popular PS4 game.

Sony's mobile games brought in a lot of money at one point. That's why the Vita exist! Sony is just relying on PS4 at this point, the Playstation brand is smaller because of this.

Sorry, its a safe bet PS Now is not profitable... yet... if ever. Making back $380 million with a mediocre service ain't easy. Especially when the requirements to play games well are high.

50, wow someones is highly optimistic.  

No you are wrong, dead wrong.  Movies music games all have short lives, you are argueing agianst humen nature and pretty well know facts just to support some wishe of bc importance you have.

Sorry lol why, you lack info or any metrics to deduce any sort of claim on profability. 

Enjoy your beliefs.  

Around the Network
GTstation said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I dunno, I expect maybe 50 million units? X1 can still have a big userbase, albeit smaller than PS4.

I've seen a few thousand playing Titanfall on 360 at once during peak hours. The thing is people have so many options, you don't see everybody flocking to a single game. But there are certainly millions of people still 360 games online periodically.

You're wrong, many still like playing Halo 1 and 2. Not everybody is a graphics whore. Its a sad, sad reality. Just ask the people that play Minecraft, a popular PS4 game.

Sony's mobile games brought in a lot of money at one point. That's why the Vita exist! Sony is just relying on PS4 at this point, the Playstation brand is smaller because of this.

Sorry, its a safe bet PS Now is not profitable... yet... if ever. Making back $380 million with a mediocre service ain't easy. Especially when the requirements to play games well are high.

No you are wrong, dead wrong.  Movies music games all have short lives, you are argueing agianst humen nature and pretty well know facts just to support some wishe of bc importance you have.

Sorry lol why, you lack info or any metrics to deduce any sort of claim on profability. 

Enjoy your beliefs.  

I see 50 million as doable for the XB1. The key is MS letting have at least 5-6 year to sell before they try to kill it. If they pull what they did with the Xbox it will end up with somewhere in the low 30s.

PS4 90-100 Million, XB1- 45-50 Million, WiiU- 15-20 million

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

deskpro2k3 said:
d21lewis said:
They would really benefit from backwards compatibility! They missed a lot of good games on PS3!

How would that 40% benefit from backwards compatibility if they never owned a PS3 and PS3 games?

They're better off playing it on PS Now if they never owned the game in the first place.

You're right.  They can't.  It was wrong or me to say they would.  :(

deskpro2k3 said:
d21lewis said:

I think youre neglecting PS Now is shit for most users. The requirements are high and quality is generally lower on wifi. Lets not forget about bandwidth caps either.

Emulation is more practical and is the next best thing to the actual hardware.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
deskpro2k3 said:

I think youre neglecting PS Now is shit for most users. The requirements are high and quality is generally lower on wifi. Lets not forget about bandwidth caps either.

Emulation is more practical and is the next best thing to the actual hardware.

Where is the source for this story?

5Mbps to high?

you still have to buy or own the game in the first place for emulation.

CPU: Ryzen 9950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
GTstation said:

Enjoy your beliefs.  

If they do an average of about 6 to 7 million a year, then 50 is feasible. Maybe they will have even better years after price cuts. They had good sales last holiday.

Thats not accurate. Old content is still consumed by many. Which is why Sony still offers hundreds old games from PS1, PS2, and PS3.

You tell me people dont care about old content, yet you think PS Now is a success?

Enjoy your contradictions.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)