Forums - Gaming Discussion - I Honestly Thought Microsoft Had This In The Bag

Who had the better conference?

Xbox, Backwards Compatibi... 109 14.36%

Playstation; TLG, FFVII Remake, Shenmue 3! 511 67.33%

Both were unrealistically amazing! 54 7.11%

Both were absolutely awful! 21 2.77%

See Results 64 8.43%

Total:759

Must be demoralizing af for Xbox staff. They work their ass off all year, brought their A game and still Sony blows them out the water. Reminded me of Lord Stannis vs Winterfell, total blowout, ain't even see it coming.
Clearly Sony is on another level this gen.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Well I really liked MS conference, but wouldn't give them a win because Sony games attract me a lot more.

But Hunt mechasaurs and the myths were unbeatable. Will Agent and HL3 comes at gamescon? So much finnancing may be the reason for worst margin prediction on Sony budget announcements.

People downplaying it are just having the posture I had with MS show, bias and preferences make you mostly not caring for the other side bombshells.

This, I agree with.

RJ_Sizzle said:

MS still had a good showing. They showed gameplay of their upcoming games. Announcing BC was cool. It was a safe and dignified conference.

It's just Sony was out to make dreams come true yesterday.

Agreed.

MS gave us more of what we want from MS.

Sony on the other hand said lets pander to the nerds. Which worked great on me! But they didn't get me excited about Sony IPs.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

loy310 said:
Must be demoralizing af for Xbox staff. They work their ass off all year, brought their A game and still Sony blows them out the water. Reminded me of Lord Stannis vs Winterfell, total blowout, ain't even see it coming.
Clearly Sony is on another level this gen.

I think we would be more impressed with Sony if they actually impressed us with their own games.

Sony never showed more reliance on 3rd parties. Some of their most notable showings were multiplat or coming to PC. These are things MS has been heavily criticized for.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I'm actually surprised the internet has been so overhwelmingly pro-Sony, but I guess it makes sense.  They had those surprises.

But I wonder.  I'm talking to my teenage students today about E3 and games, and one made a good point and the rest of the kids agreed.  He (current 360 owner who has been wanting to go PS4 with his summer job money) said basically "Why should I care about these games everyone is getting hyped about?"  TLG was first shown before he started really gaming outside of like Wii Sports and stuff.  He has no idea what Shenmue is and has never played a FF game, let alone one that launched the year he was born.  

As an older gamer, I hadn't thought about that.  I wonder how these "megatons" play out with younger audiences.  I've been playing since Atari, and I get why people would be amped for a remake of their favorite game. And I get why they are news.  But it's even hard for me to get too psyched about things coming out 2/3 years out.  (I know TLG was said to be 2016, but I'll believe that when I see it.  Unless they are purposely playing coy, that game is still in pretty low res state, showing the same stuff as before.  Makes me believe it isn't that far along)

If Shenmue is still getting funded, it's just starting.  2018 at the earliest.  FF VII they'll try to get out for the 20th anniversary if all goes well, so that's two years off at least. 

I dunno.  I'm looking forward to a lot of those games long-term, but they really are long-term.  

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
RJ_Sizzle said:

MS still had a good showing. They showed gameplay of their upcoming games. Announcing BC was cool. It was a safe and dignified conference.

It's just Sony was out to make dreams come true yesterday.

Agreed.

MS gave us more of what we want from MS.

Sony on the other hand said lets pander to the nerds. Which worked great on me! But they didn't get me excited about Sony IPs.

It comes down to taste in games, really.  (And fanboy loyalties and all, of course.)  MS gave their fans all this stuff that they get to play THIS year.  Sony did indeed fulfill dreams of their fans, but it's so far off.  I remember sitting there with my phat PS3 waiting for gran Turismo 5 and FFXIII as promised.  And waiting.  And waiting.  And waiting. And waiting.  I got that vibe again.  Another multi-year wait.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

fastyxx said:

I'm actually surprised the internet has been so overhwelmingly pro-Sony, but I guess it makes sense.  They had those surprises.

But I wonder.  I'm talking to my teenage students today about E3 and games, and one made a good point and the rest of the kids agreed.  He (current 360 owner who has been wanting to go PS4 with his summer job money) said basically "Why should I care about these games everyone is getting hyped about?"  TLG was first shown before he started really gaming outside of like Wii Sports and stuff.  He has no idea what Shenmue is and has never played a FF game, let alone one that launched the year he was born.  

As an older gamer, I hadn't thought about that.  I wonder how these "megatons" play out with younger audiences.  I've been playing since Atari, and I get why people would be amped for a remake of their favorite game. And I get why they are news.  But it's even hard for me to get too psyched about things coming out 2/3 years out.  (I know TLG was said to be 2016, but I'll believe that when I see it.  Unless they are purposely playing coy, that game is still in pretty low res state, showing the same stuff as before.  Makes me believe it isn't that far along)

If Shenmue is still getting funded, it's just starting.  2018 at the earliest.  FF VII they'll try to get out for the 20th anniversary if all goes well, so that's two years off at least. 

I dunno.  I'm looking forward to a lot of those games long-term, but they really are long-term.  

The vast majority of gamers are in their 30's (the majority) and 20's. Those games may not be megatons to kids but it is to us.  I'm willling to wait a bit longer for those games. It's nice to know that that they are being made.

fastyxx said:

This is a very good post.  Able to cut past the hype and see things a bit more clearly.  Aside from the "megatons", Sony still showed some great stuff.  Uncharted looks better every time I see it and Horizon was a surprise, too.  I just feel that people are sometimes more motivated by "In your face!  My console is better than yours because...." type arguments than the reality of things.  People were throwing Agent (the vaporware from Rockstar) into arguments for years despite never seeing more than a logo.  Such is the nature of the beast.

d21lewis said:
DonFerrari said:
Well I really liked MS conference, but wouldn't give them a win because Sony games attract me a lot more.

But Hunt mechasaurs and the myths were unbeatable. Will Agent and HL3 comes at gamescon? So much finnancing may be the reason for worst margin prediction on Sony budget announcements.

People downplaying it are just having the posture I had with MS show, bias and preferences make you mostly not caring for the other side bombshells.

This, I agree with.

Funny enough I think I liked Nintendo presentation more than ninty fans, probably because for me it's an addition to my ps4 not my main reason to play.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

fastyxx said:

You have a good point.

But since this is internet age in a few days they may enter the hypetrain. And Sony still showed uc4, horizon and will have privileges on the MP blockbusters. They will capitalize on that.

And in the end we know that Sony will put a lot of work to make those games great, at least forme, a guy that loved puppetter and knack.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."