By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are big third party blockbusters skipping the wii u?

So i just thought about the non existing third party support for the wii u.

I thought about the real reasons why big blockbusters like assassins creed and call of duty skipping the wii u, exspecially when they release a last gen version anyway. 

So we do all know that third party games arent doing that good on wii u. 

Example: Call of Duty games sold between 250k and 300k on wii u. Same game sold 9mio on ps3. Thats ALOT more.

But are wii u versions inefficient just because of the low sales compared to ps/xbox version. I really doubt that.

A port of a game is pretty cheap. All the developing is done, voice acting. You just need to reprogramm code and thats not that expensive.

The credits of games like COD:Ghost for wiiu count around 30 People who are involved in making the wii u Version. Thats like nothing.

The publishers dont event need to invest into marketing, scince the marketing for the other version is there anyway. They just need to add a small symbol "wii u" to the advertisments and thats it.

There are ALOT games that sell around the same numbers then the wii u port of an blockbuster for pc or other systems. That are completly new games. I cant see those games beeing cheaper to make as a simple port of an xbox 360 version. But this game are made anyway and are profitable.

Games like: Risen 3 for example.

Ubisoft said on wii u launch that a port of a game to wii u is about 1mio$. 

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-07-23-ubisoft-says-wii-u-ports-costing-under-USD1-3-million

Saysing that Ubisoft will earn 20$ per sold assassins creed port (rest taxes, vendors, materials, transportation) then they would still get:

20$ x 200k = 4mio. Thats still a profit of 3mio$. 

Even a giant game like witcher 3 just cost 30mio to make, including ports to consoles, voice acting, localisation and co. So i doubt a simple wii u port of a game like assassins creed or call of duty will be more then 4 mio$. Exspecially if you already made an xbox 360 version.

So i dont understand why big publishers dont get that money.

your thoughts?

Around the Network

Because they don't sell and the hardware is too weak.
It just doesn't make sense for them.
Ubisoft and EA did support the Wii U at the beginning, but the games didn't sell really well.
Also developing for Wii U is harder than for PS4 / Xbox One afaik.

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

this thread doesnt need to exist. the answer if very obvious.

cause big third party games don't sell on nintendo consoles or handheld

Nintendo's image since Wii days is that of family and kids company

mature third party games just don't sell,even if the hardware was as powerful as PS4 and XBONE,it still wouldn't sell because of image problem

Because these things cost money to develop and the publishers want to make a profit.

Around the Network

Because they have the xbox and the ps4 for that so they say "fuck the wii u and Nintendo, 300,000 copies are not a good business"

Ever since the N64 days, third parties have been pretty reluctant to put games on Nintendo consoles.

Main problems with the Wii U include the fact the hardware isn't up to snuff, the different achitecture of the Wii U compared to the PS4 and XB1, and the poor sales of the Wii U, doesn't allow third party titles to sell a whole lot.

With all these factors, it's really just a waste for most third parties to devote all this time just for third party Wii U titles that don't sell a whole lot.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Because this is a business. Not a charity.

I just finish my text, please read again to get what im thinking

RealGamingExpert said:
Because they don't sell and the hardware is too weak.
It just doesn't make sense for them.
Ubisoft and EA did support the Wii U at the beginning, but the games didn't sell really well.
Also developing for Wii U is harder than for PS4 / Xbox One afaik.

Hardware isn't too weak really. They still make cross-gen titles. Ubisoft did support the console but their titles didn't sell too well.
EA however never really did support the console at all.
It is true though that developing for Wii U is considered more difficult than the Twins.