By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the RPG Renaissance Among Us??

Possible?

Hell yes its a renaissance 14 70.00%

Nope not even close sales... 6 30.00%

Total:20

Ok first off Im sure some of you know that last gen was very sucky for jrpg but wrpgs seems to be fine.

Now this gen I noticed that sales for rpgs are getting better.

I mean Bloodbourne sold 1 million in 9 days and the Witcher 3 sold friken 4 million in 2 weeks.

They were both highly praised and loved and now I am thinking.

I noticed more and more the biggest hyped games are rpgs.

These include Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy 15, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Persona 5, Illusary Revelations#FE, and obviously Fallout 4.

I feel like RPGs will start to gain mainstream attention like Witcher 3 and get the biggest sales since the 6th gen(especially kingdom hearts 3 with that frozen craze and fallout 4 since its friken fallout.

Thoughts?

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

Around the Network

Good. RPG's are my favorite genre.

I want my DQ.

They probably won't reach 5th/6th Gen glory again, or at least for the time. But I'm sure this Gen will bring them back from the dead. 7th Gen really hurt the genre. But yeah, they're coming back, but more than likely not in full force.

we have star ocean 5, persona 5, new tales of game, and more coming.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

I think people are mixing up JRPGs and WRPGs in the comments. WRPGs did freakin awesome last gen and are doing well so far this gen.
Last gen JRPGs died, and hopefully this gen can come back.
I truly believe that WRPGs will forever now sell more than JRPGs

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

Around the Network

Yes and we all owe it to the glorious, incredible, amazing, Witcher 3.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

WRPGs - yes, for some time now. Both mainstream, like TES and Witcher and niche old-school cRPGs, like Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera.

From my perspective, Souls and Dragon's Dogma (as well as upcoming Deep Down) are J-WRPGs (just like South Park and Child of Light are W-JRPGs), so basically, Japanese devs making such games are contributing to that renaissance as well.

Big title JRPGs on Wii alone included The Last Story, Tales Of Symphonia Dawn Of A New World, Xenoblade Chronicles, Dragon Quest Swords, Dragon Quest X, and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers, Phantom Brave, ect.

Then there were great smaller titles like Arc Rise Fantasia, Fragile Dreams, FFIV The After Years, FFCC Echoes Of Time, Pandora's Tower, ect.

The titles this gen are going to be far fewer than last gen, and quality is strictly opinion.

RPG's never went away, it's just the fact that major JRPG publishers are faltering and the small publishers aren't picking up the slack.

Pixel Art can be fun.

The more RPGs the better. I like both WRPGs and JRPGs. Just give me more.