By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is the description "linear" used so negatively in gaming?

Every game doesnt have to be an open world or sand box (honestly I can get bored in sand box game like GTA).

BUT typically linear games are heavily repetitive or empty. Doing the same things as you walk forward or even simply walking with nothing to do.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Around the Network
Platina said:
I don't think it was ever a negative until open world became more popular allowing the gamer to have more 'freedom'

But I still enjoy linear games so maybe I'm the minority :p

Open world is actually more akin to the style of RPG. You shape the world you're in with your actions. The world throws its best at you and you make decisions and fight to upgrade and make the world whatever you want it to be. If there is no choice..its not what it truly meant to be which goes back to D&D. Most RPG's today are partial RPG's.

In typical action games I agree there should be many types. Uncharted and Gears of War wouldnt be such a ride without being linear. Looking at the new Batman though,  I might just stand corrected.

The same reason people criticize the most popular music.

There's nothing wrong with a linear game done right. It mainly needs to be enjoyable and have plenty to distract you from the fact that it is linear. TLOU, resident evil, god of war, gears of war and COD are some of the games that do that right. Being able to backtrack sometimes offsets the negatives of a game being linear.

For me, FF XIII is the perfect example of a game that's linear being done wrong. It didn't help it that RPG's are typically not linear. 

People think we're passed linear. I don't know why people do though. I really enjoy open world and linear. Now, some games (like the order) are being criticized for being excessively linear, which I'm pretty sure ryse also falls under this category. The problem with ryse and the order is that they're so linear, that there is no replay value, and they are only 5-6 hours games. I do agree though, that linear is becoming a derogatory term though.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Most game that are criticized for being linear have more things wrong with them than just being linear.

Yeah you pretty much nailed it. There is nothing inherently wrong with a linear game as long as it's designed well just like any other other game.

Linearity is not a bad thing per se, but other aspects must compensate for it. A good story, fun gameplay, interesting level design and so on.
For example Bayonetta is very linear, but it's a very good game because it has a sublime gameplay and Cereza is so captivating.
Ryse was criticized because of the very poor combat system, longevity, story...everything except for graphics. Same goes for TO.