By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nikkei: Nintendo NX to use Android OS

Soundwave said:

Could be very smart.

A Nintendo Android tablet won't beat the iPad ... but it could beat out a lot of Android tablets, because if you're going to drop $250-$300+ on a tablet, why not get the one that also plays regular Nintendo games too.

It could also justify a higher price point on a handheld ... no one's paying $250 for a 3DS, OK, but that was because it was just a "game handheld" (read: a toy). If it has Android OS and more important all the Android apps ... that would be a value proposition that would be a game changer. That would be a device you could use for a lot more than just playing Mario. 

Still we don't know enough to really make concrete conclusions here. Nikkei is usually right, but they could be misinformed.

I don't know. They are basically exiting a market in which they are dominant (although shrinking considerably) to enter a market cluttered with competition, especially at the pricing segment.

It could work, but this means significant marketing expenditures, which doesn't sound like current Nintendo to me.

And with Nintendo bringing their IPs over to mobile, this move makes even less sense: Compete in the "mobile/Android segment", while at the same time providing your games to the competition.

I don't think it's true, and if it is, I think this marks Nintendo's exit from serious gaming competition and a shift in the Konami direction (does not mean that it cannot turn out to be very profitable.)

Around the Network
Keybladewielder said:
Is this good or bad? does it mean that the NX will be flooded with mobile games?

I've actually speculated on how an Android-Nintendo tablet would work ... Nintendo could have all apps go through their own eShop. Amazon does this with the Kindle tablets. 

So Nintendo could control the number of mobile games they allow. 

Soundwave said:

Could be very smart.

A Nintendo Android tablet won't beat the iPad ... but it could beat out a lot of Android tablets, because if you're going to drop $250-$300+ on a tablet, why not get the one that also plays regular Nintendo games too.

It could also justify a higher price point on a handheld ... no one's paying $250 for a 3DS, OK, but that was because it was just a "game handheld" (read: a toy). If it has Android OS and more important all the Android apps ... that would be a value proposition that would be a game changer. That would be a device you could use for a lot more than just playing Mario. 

Still we don't know enough to really make concrete conclusions here. Nikkei is usually right, but they could be misinformed.

Who said it will be tablet. It can be home console. They can put security to make is anti modding. Have you seen nvidia shield? It runs games like Crysis and borderlands in real time.

Keybladewielder said:
Is this good or bad? does it mean that the NX will be flooded with mobile games?

I think there would still be a dedicated Nintendo Eshop. But yes, it would allow you to go to the droid app shop and get mobile games.

Soundwave said:
Keybladewielder said:

I've actually speculated on how an Android-Nintendo tablet would work ... Nintendo could have all apps go through their own eShop. Amazon does this with the Kindle tablets. 

So Nintendo could control the number of mobile games they allow. 

It's like you read my effing mind!

Around the Network
twintail said:

Basically a 'source' has said that the NX will run Android, as a means to allow for many developers to develop for the hardware.

Could it mean that the NX can run Android? As in it has its own unique operating system, but that it can... sort of emulate Android OS? Some deal with Google to give the NX access to the Play Store, without literally turning the NX into an Android machine?

Granted I put no stock in any such rumors at this time. I don't expect any legitimate info about NX until next year. But it's an interesting idea, worth discussing.

Called it. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Platina said:
It'd be great if you could post a recap for those who can't read Japanese...

..but from what the title says, this could be very interesting move if Nintendo actually makes their next handheld able to use Android OS. I was thinking this would be unlikely given how protective Nintendo is about their systems but this could definitely attract more casual gamers..

This fuels my idea that NX is the 3DS' successor a handheld then in 2018 Wii U's successor

In fact it seems like they already have a fusion type of network worked out.

http://shield.nvidia.co.uk/play-pc-games/ (explains picture in better detail)

Put buttons, ect on the side of the pad instead of having a seperate controller and boom! Nintendo NX.

What I do like about his proposition is if they go the "Android tablet" route, then it's a pretty large shift in hardware philosophy and one that will likely take their hardware more towards be less toy-like.

Don't get me wrong, Nintendo hardware has its charms, but I'm kinda tired of all hardware first and foremost having to be "well this can't be too powerful, because kids won't be able to afford it".

I love Nintendo but at the same time I'm not 11 years old anymore. I would like a handheld from them that has some nice specs and a nice quality screen.

They could price an Android based tablet at $300 and it would still be reasonable now that it's within the realm of a tablet rather than a traditional handheld. And that means a better end product for we the gamer.

So I'm down with that. Plus there are a fair number of Android games I wouldn't mind playing if they had actual physical controls. So there's that too.