By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
shikamaru317 said:

Ugh, remember when I said I hoped Halo 5 progression wouldn't be too slow? It's very slow

When you get started in Halo 5: Guardians multiplayer, we want to make sure you have a good amount of REQ content to experiment with right out of the gate. When you first launch the game, you’ll receive a starting REQ bundle that includes 54 REQ cards, as well as 7500 REQ Points (RPs). These points can be redeemed immediately for additional REQ Packs (7500RP will get you either six Bronze packs, or a combination of one Silver pack and two Bronze packs). From there, you’ll continue to earn REQ Packs simply by playing the game.

As a general guideline, we expect players to earn on average 2000RP for a game of Warzone, and just under 1000RP for a game of Arena.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/halo-5-guardians-building-your-req-collection-part-2

Gold packs cost 10,000 Req points, average is 1,000 per arena match so it's 10 games per Gold pack. With 1,000 possible unlocks and 2 unlocks per Gold pack, it'll take 5,000 arena matches or 2,500 warzone matches to unlock everything. Just for reference, I put 88 hours into Halo: 4 MP and played 694 matches, 65 hours into Halo:Reach MP and played 456 matches, and 26 hours into Halo:MCC MP and played about 220 matches. That's a combined 179 hours and 1,370 matches between those 3 Halo games, less than half of what it'll take to unlock everything in Halo 5's base game. And they plan to add even more unlocks as DLC. 343 really needs to adjust the points per game, when it's that slow it's just discouraging imo.

How much do req points cost to buy? Or if you buy packs directly, how much do they cost to buy?

As long as the microtransactions aren't rediculously overpowered, I wouldn't worry about it.

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:
shikamaru317 said:

Ugh, remember when I said I hoped Halo 5 progression wouldn't be too slow? It's very slow

When you get started in Halo 5: Guardians multiplayer, we want to make sure you have a good amount of REQ content to experiment with right out of the gate. When you first launch the game, you’ll receive a starting REQ bundle that includes 54 REQ cards, as well as 7500 REQ Points (RPs). These points can be redeemed immediately for additional REQ Packs (7500RP will get you either six Bronze packs, or a combination of one Silver pack and two Bronze packs). From there, you’ll continue to earn REQ Packs simply by playing the game.

As a general guideline, we expect players to earn on average 2000RP for a game of Warzone, and just under 1000RP for a game of Arena.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/halo-5-guardians-building-your-req-collection-part-2

Gold packs cost 10,000 Req points, average is 1,000 per arena match so it's 10 games per Gold pack. With 1,000 possible unlocks and 2 unlocks per Gold pack, it'll take 5,000 arena matches or 2,500 warzone matches to unlock everything. Just for reference, I put 88 hours into Halo: 4 MP and played 694 matches, 65 hours into Halo:Reach MP and played 456 matches, and 26 hours into Halo:MCC MP and played about 220 matches. That's a combined 179 hours and 1,370 matches between those 3 Halo games, less than half of what it'll take to unlock everything in Halo 5's base game. And they plan to add even more unlocks as DLC. 343 really needs to adjust the points per game, when it's that slow it's just discouraging imo.

How much do req points cost to buy? Or if you buy packs directly, how much do they cost to buy?

As long as the microtransactions aren't rediculously overpowered, I wouldn't worry about it.

1.99$ for a Silver Pack, 2.99$ for a Gold pack. Everything is balanced, it's not even close to being overpowered, but Shikamaru is more worried about the feel and flow of game proression and armor collection.

shikamaru317 said:
chris0409 said:
shikamaru317 said:

You've got the wrong I idea. 2 PERMANENT unlocks per Gold (and Silver) pack, and in total there are 1000+ REQ Cards, which do include permanent unclocks but also non-permanent ones for Warzone (edit: and maybe boosts and other stuff I don't know of).

We've got 175 armor sets, 175 helmets, 53 visors, 218 emblems and let's say 20 (?) weapon skins (in total 641). Let's say from the start we already have 50 embelms, 1 armor set, 1 helmet and 1 visor unlocked (so we already have 53 out of 641 unlocked) PLUS the starting REQ Bundle which gives you 54 REQ cards and 7500RP.

You're right, forgot about the permanent/temporary thing. You are forgetting about the warzone vehicle and weapon reqs, you have to unlock them the first time so they're permanent unlocks. All in all we're looking at at least 700 permanent unlocks. With the planned req point rate at release, we're looking at at least 250 hours to unlock everything, and that's before they add more req cards as DLC, get the feeling they'll add at least another few 100. I really hope they adjust the rate after release.

Do you want to unlock EVERYTHING quickly though? More content is good.

I think it's just fine now. We'll get a constant flow of REQ packs through buying them with REQ points, leveling up and earning commendations.

And theoretically speaking, you could get every permanent REQ card in the game through Silver packs as well.

shikamaru317 said:
jlmurph2 said:

Do you want to unlock EVERYTHING quickly though? More content is good.

Not quickly. 343 needs to achieve a balance between unlocking things too quickly, and unlocking things so slowly that players get discouraged and just give up on the gear grind.

The rate I discussed with some others who agreed with me that it was perfect, was 1 gold pack per 3-4 arena games. That comes out to roughly 200-220 hours of MP to unlock everything pre-DLC, probably 300 or more hours post-DLC.

I think that's too short. I believe only hardcore players should be able to get everything. A good amount of stuff will be weapon and armor skins anyways so it doesn't matter too much.

Around the Network

Ya I'm good with this rate. I put easily over 100 hours into just the beta so......if I could get everything in 2 months or so I'd possibly be a little disappointed.

Also it's worth keeping in mind that almost everything you're unlocking is purely cosmetic. 350 armor/helmet pieces, God knows how many weapon/vehicle skins, visor colors, varying assassination animations, stances.....most of it has 0 effect on gameplay, and if you're playing arena, all of it has 0 effect on gameplay.

So the way I see it, as long as the REQ packs are balanced to give you a good split of cosmetic items and Warzone specific useful items, it's all good.

Also, you apparently get 54 REQ cards to boot, and they give you a pack every time your Spartan Rank goes up, and every time you earn a commendation.

So really you're gonna have REQ thrown at your face left, right, and center

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN4AMc9pg-c

I think it's good, it would be worse if everyone would get everything after 100 hours. Only the people who really put a lot of time in a game should unlock everything because it should be a gift to them for playing so much. If you would get everything after 50 or 100 hours there would be way too many people who would have almost everything.

As long as it doesn't take 5000 hours to get most stuff it's fine.

Same with racing games, it should take some hundred hours to get every car and not only 100 when a racing game has hundreds of cars. If it only has 20 cars then it should be faster but if you have so many cars then it's absolutely fine to take a lot of time to get everything.  

it should feel special and not "normal" to have everything in games where you can collect a lot of stuff.

chris0409 said:
JoeTheBro said:

1.99$ for a Silver Pack, 2.99$ for a Gold pack. Everything is balanced, it's not even close to being overpowered, but Shikamaru is more worried about the feel and flow of game proression and armor collection.

Thanks.

Microtransaction prices are important since they show 343i's reasoning behind the slow progression. As long as slow progression isn't being used to push people towards paying money, the flow will be balanced correctly.