By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What were the best graphics on a last gen console?

I'm voting for FF12. Some of the face close ups were better then I'd seen on the 360...seriously.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

if we make the cut the moment the new systems hit the shelves...then i have to lean towards RE 4

Too bad you can't pick a pc-game, Half-Life 2 would win instantly. Even today it can keep up easily. The Xbox version is really nice as well, but it clearly suffered.

GameCube:
Techical: 1. Metroid Prime 2, 2. Resident Evil 4, 3. Twilight Princess
Art: 1. The Wind Waker, 2. Paper Mario 2, 3. Four Swords Adventures

PS2:
Technical: 1. God of War 2, 2. Shadow of the Colossus, Final Fantasy XII
Art: 1. Shadow of the Colossus, 2. Õkami, 3. ICO

Xbox:
technical: 1. Half-Life 2, 2. Halo 2, 3. Ninja Gaiden Black
Art: 1. Halo 2, 2. Conker's Live & Reloaded, 3. Panzer Dragoon Orta

I would say this is rather easy.

Half Life 2 Xbox.

The fact that it made it to the machine at all was a miracle.
The Orange box only really looks different because of HD.
Pitty it had shit loading times.

2nd would go to FF 12

PS2 - GOW2 and FFXII

GC - RE remake and RE4

XBOX - Chronicles of Riddick and Panzer Dragoon Orta.

Around the Network

God of War 2, Twilight Princess, REmake, Shadow of the Colossus, and Chronicles of Riddick.

And while not impressive technically, the Wind Waker and Okami were damn impressive artistically. 

Same generation

Dreamcast:
Technical:1.ShenmueII, 2.MDK2, 3.Skies Of Arcadia, 4.Soul Calibur
Art: 1.Jet Grind Radio, 2.Rez, 3.D2, 4.Rayman2

Dreamcast-18 years later "It's Still Thinking"

Re4 or Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (Xbox version)

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
TheRealMafoo said:
kasillas88 said:
I'm still gonna stick with Hitman: Blood Money (Ps2) as the best graphics last gen, but I'll probably snag me a used copy of RE4 (GC version) to see how much better it is than Ps2. I've got a GameCube laying around somewhere in this damn house, just need to find it.

I have RE4 for the Wii, and God of War 2 is better then that. I don't think the Wii was improved over the GC, but I am sure it's not worse.

Just out of curiosity, of the people that own both God of War 2 and RE4, who thinks RE4 is better?

I find it hard to see anyone who actually owns them both picking RE4.

I own both GoW2 and Re4. Gow2 is more of a mix between technical and artistic while re4 is all technical. Also like others stated re4 has a  closer purspective. If GoW2 had it's perspective it wouldn't look as well as it does. 

I'm gonna give some massive mentions to Metal Gear Solid 3. As far as character models and environments are concerned. Snake looked so amazing, and certain parts of the jungle were just so lush and colorful. The did randomly skimp on the textures in certain areas though.

God of war 2 gets massive mentions as well, great use of color, crisp, clear backgrounds etc etc.

If RE didn't start the whole good graphics = brown, I'd give more mention to it. But as it stands (me only getting into the first 20 minutes of the game), RE4 = Brown. So meh.

Ninja Gaiden looked pretty damn good, another decently colorful game.

Massive props to the guy who mentioned FFXII, some DAMN FINE in-game cutscenes and character/city models.

Black of course was pretty nice as far as shooters are concerned.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.