By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The answer: When will the PS3 outsell the 360?

Nice prediction although exclusives will make a difference and also I think the 360 will lose more steam so I think it might be a bit earlier than Novemeber.

Around the Network

14th October 2009 is the day.

Need people to play online with me for Brawl.
4382-1731-1511.

Name is DROAK.  

Acording to NPD November sales are 3x October sales and December sales are 2x November sales. This roughly means that Holiday boost is equal around 27 additional weeks (I won't be going into details). So the result would be around 80 weeks. But when GTA hits all those calculations become inacurate.

Edited by user: 

-Posted in the wrong thread-

Around the Network

I wonder how long 'till the Wii outsells Xbox 360 and PS3 combined, LTD.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

cant really predict since it matters on price drops...games etc

Owner of all consoles cept DS.....Currently in love with prototype!

Magnific0 said:
I serioulsy doubt it will take so long if Japan finally starts buying the system as expected once a number of titles are released for them. Also, Xbox 360 selling below $400 has made little difference for its sales year to year, which leads me to believe a PS3 below the $400 range will get a bigger boost than what Xbox would get below $300. By next X-mas holidays a $300 PS3 with a robust library of great exclusives + the best multiplatforms combined with an emerging Blu-ray interest (more movies, more HDTVs sold, and cheaper players, something you couldn't factor in last year sales) will definitely give it the edge to outsell 360 by a larger margin than what "the current pace" may show right now.

I agree with the fact that many of the things you listed will have an effect on sales but the problem is, there aren't any ways to quantify each of the variables. I noted at the beggining of the first post that there will be variables that come into play, but for the most part this pace will hold true. If there is any difference in time I would expect that the PS3 would reach the mark maybe a moth or two sooner than November. But also keep in mind that the pace of 63,460 set in the first two months of the year is dropping a little and now I'm expecting the PS3 to only outsell the 360 by around 30,000 consoles including Japan this week. Keep your head up though because I believe catching up that quickly is a respectable feat.

Japan is definitely a wild card. It could become a whole different game if they ever embraced the PS3 over there.

Mummelmann said:
Good numbers, but are we all assuming that either console will keep selling at this pace forever?

Yes we do have to assume but then again what is a prediction? I'm pretty confident that things will hold up though. I have a feeling that the PS3 will gain steam later in the year so the fist week sales close to 300,000 will no longer skew the data.