By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Witcher 3 is now the benchmark in open world gaming

As much as I like wavy trees and grass, I prefer GTA V since for one it didn't require loading into different zones and loaded only once and for another because it wasn't downgraded.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
vivster said:
Gothic did all of these things before the Witcher.

Amen to that. And, overall, I still think they are better than W3...arguably, even G3.

Though, and they've said it themselves, Gothic is what heavily infuenced W3...unfortuantelly, if you're not PC gamer, there is high chance you've never heard of Gothic.

irstupid said:
People complaining about Witcher's combat and yet praising GTA5, lol

At least they are not praising Skyrim combat. 

*cough* grass *cough*

( Waiting on Captain Yuri to comment on this ;) )

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

Actually, I didn't like too much how the open-world was done in the game. Everything else about the game was excellent, but I hated riding my horse and hitting the invisible walls which gave me the option to teleport.

Around the Network
Nogamez said:
If you have to click on a Map to get to new areas it isn't open world so how can it set a benchmark in a genre it isn't? Game looks great nearly bought it today but it was 60 euros

Do you have to? 

I'm pretty sure you can use a Ship to sail to Skellige.  You go from Novigrad and Valen seamlessly.  The only areas that aren't woudl be the Palace, Kaer Mohren and the first place.  All three of those combined are not even a quarter the size of one of the other 3 areas, which you can travel to all seamlessly without quick traveling.

BUT ZERUDA!?!?!?!?!?

Still think GTAV did it better. The wild areas of Witcher 3 are perfect, but the cities are so flat... it's anything but alive/organic.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Moonhero said:
No, you had to click on a world map to go to different areas. That isn't a good benchmark at all. Still sticking to Skyrim.

Are you serious!? They lied... :/

I'm loving the world and the characters, playing it with the Polish voice cast makes it something special.

However the game play is somewhere between passable and plain bad. Clunky movement, finicky positioning to press x in the exact right spot, camera is the biggest enemy in combat, bad horse controls, bad swimming controls, you frequently get stuck on the scenery as well as the camera, enemies get stuck on trees and the environment, climbing is inconsistent, crafting system is a mess that only weighs your inventory down with the ridiculous number of components you find everywhere, inventory is slow and a mess with no sorting options, text is too small in the menus.

The main quest and some side quests have been great so far, yet I've already spent far more time doing the same old generic stuff. Repetitive points of interest as well as generic kill x quests all over the place. Plus the actual game play in the quests is nothing to brag about either. Witcher sense spot the glowy red things in the right order to trigger the next thing gets old fast.

The frame rate can get so bad at times that combat becomes almost impossible with the wildly moving camera. Don't fight large groups in the rain. The loading times are downright awful. Equipment degrades far too fast, the game would have me repair my sword multiple times in one game day. Shops reset instantly, can't buy back stuff.

Axii is far over powered. I put most of my points in it (lvl 10 atm) and when I charm a lvl 7, he can chop down a shield bearing lvl 16 in 2 blows. Yet my lvl 10 self can hardly touch the lvl 16.

Graphical glitches are not uncommon either. Weird instant weather changes at times, night time environment lighting while the sun is already up, corpses that stick out in the air or through things, trees blowing through walls.

So really it's not much of a benchmark.

It's a testament to how good the characters and writing are that I want to play more. The landscape does look lovely and there's plenty to explore. However exploration is becoming less and less rewarding due to all the identikit villages and points of interest locations. Plus I saw the exact same guy 3 times in a row, twice as a merchant in an identikit village, then as an inn keeper. He could have at least changed his clothes.

I think I'll stop exploring and go back to follow the main quests as the open world game play is starting to put me off the game.