By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If Wii U could do PS4 graphics at 720p, would that be enough for you?

Tagged games:

?

Yes, that'd be satisfactory 130 31.18%

Still wouldn't be good enough 84 20.14%

Wii U's graphics are already fine 203 48.68%

Total:417
bonzobanana said:
curl-6 said:

It's only "percieved as sub PS3/360" on some sites because there are more PS/Xbox fans on those sites, who tend to have a negative attitude towards Wii U.

I don't need a bias to conclude that a system with a modern GPU, more than twice as much RAM, and more than three times as much eDRAM is more capable. It's not more powerful in every way, but overall, you can do more with it.  Low priority ports designed for a different architecture, and where the devs had 6-7 years more experience on PS3/360, say more about the quality of the porting than the hardware's full capabilities.

And the GPU is not limited to 12.8 GB/s because it has 32MB of high speed memory embedded into the chip itself, not just for the framebuffer, which doesn't need anywhere near 32MB, but for any data that needs higher bandwidth access.

That's the trouble with any fans of a certain console they end up defending their console of choice.  Between both camps often is where the truth can be found because you can only exaggerate so much about the performance of your console of choice before you look ridiculous and that applies to both sides. If you cut away the excuses, lazy devs etc and just look at the evidence you'll get a lot closer to the truth. It's a bit like religion all sorts of people have their own truth but the real evidence is in the fossil record, genetics and looking out into space. That evidence is always there whether people want to believe it or not.

Oh there's definitely bias on both sides, I agree; you still get hardline Nintendo fanatics saying it's several times more powerful than PS3/360, which is just as untrue as it being the same/weaker.

I never said it was massively more powerful, or that it was more powerful in every way, cos it isn't.

I'm saying it has a slight edge, on par with maybe Gamecube's edge over PS2, based on what we know of the specs and the testimony of devs like Frozenbyte, Black Forest, Sega, and Shin'en. That's all.