By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Next Nintendo console - why not another top loader?

bonzobanana said:
NathObeaN said:

Haven't ever liked top loading on consoles. I thought the PS1, PS3 (slim) and Gamecube were all worse off for it. It feels nostalgic and fun, but in reality it's tacky and prevents you from stacking the console within any kind of enclosed space.

Most consoles can't be stacked though for ventilation reasons even if they have slot loaders or disc trays perhaps the only exceptions being wii and wii u as they disapate heat at the rear and at the side (wii u). I don't know how the ps3 super slim is selling worldwide but clearly its a good cost saving for Sony hence their re-design and the ps3 super slim is still selling brilliantly here in Europe well ahead of wii u for example despite being a market already saturated with ps3's. 

Indeed, although my point about enclosed spaces still stands, you could not stack a PS1/Gamecube inside a TV cabinet unless you have significant space above. PS3 super slim is better because you can slide the cover back instead. I know it sells well but everyone but I've yet to find someone who prefers the PS3 super slim design over the PS3 slim. It may save Sony money and as a result, the consumer (which is half the reason it sells, it's cheap), but looking at it purely from a design preference I would take the PS3 fat/slim over the super slim any day.

When I first got my PS3 I loved the slot loader and always prefered it over the 360 drive. Very happy that the Xbox One and PS4 have slot loaders now, wouldn't have it any other way!

XBL: NathObeaN | PSN: NathObeaN | Steam: NathObeaN

Around the Network

I honestly don't really care if it's top loaded or not, but I like the new ones more because it's more convenient.. you can put it in a narrow space and don't need to move it just to switch games.

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Nah, top loaders look cheap. They should ditch the discs altogether and go with carts or flash mixed with digital download.

TheLastStarFighter said:
Nah, top loaders look cheap. They should ditch the discs altogether and go with carts or flash mixed with digital download.

Top loaders don't have to look cheap though. They can be made to look really stylish and still offer considerable savings for manufacturing. If the future is more about downloading games but not to the point of removing optical all together doesn't it make sense to make the optical drive lower cost in the design especially if maybe 50% of owners aren't even using it. 

You don't need a top loader/slot loader when you're using DS sized cartridges:

Flash memory has caught up to the storage of a Blu-Ray disc (30GB generally), 16-32GB is all Nintendo needs. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

You don't need a top loader/slot loader when you're using DS sized cartridges:

Flash memory has caught up to the storage of a Blu-Ray disc (30GB generally), 16-32GB is all Nintendo needs. 

How would that effect the retail model. Console manufacturer's already resent the lower margins they get from software sold through retail rather than downloads and now the retail channels will have hugely more expensive media.  The cost of an optical drive may be much more but the cost of producing blu-ray discs themselves is very, very cheap. I'd rather pay an extra £40 on the cost of a console if it means all the games are going to be £10 cheaper on optical. Retail may as well be a code and do away with flash media too.  

I personally still like optical and in 10 years time when all the online support has gone for these consoles you'll still be able to load up a optical disc and play the game.