By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 has done what Wii never could - hit 50% marketshare!

ikki5 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Last time I checked underneath PS4 it says 50.4%?

But it's not like they're different markets or anything, unless you want to count PC in 'marketshare in gaming'?

Yes, and I still don't agree with how VGchartz does it either since gaming is much more than just those 3 consoles, however I guess VGcharts really only deals with these 3 companies with the occasional articles on the side. But really, I always felt that VG charts should lump them all together or better define it. Even more so that the last gen consoles are still selling as well, they'd be in the same marketshare.

What you are saying is impossible. Example, ios + android devices comparison with 3ds and ps vita? Nope; its not worth it.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Ninsect said:

With ioi updating the hardware sales to mid-May in one sweep we now can see PS4 holding the majority of the market. One console hasn't dominated like that since PS2, I believe. Wii managed to hit ~49.5% at most iirc.

And this matters to gamers because?

think ps2... 

sony got a shyet load of exclisive games without lifting a finger just because they had majority share...actually, the ps2 destoryed the xbox and the cube...

now...imagine what would happen if the ps4 leaves the xbone and the wiiu in the dust and crushes them like the ps2 did the original box and the cube?

yup...exclusive games left and right for sony without doing shyet..

good if you're a ps4 owner...sucks balls if you're in the bone or u camp.

and yes, that will happen... ps1, ps2, ds, 3ds... just look at these 4 monsters that dominated their respective generations... all 4 crushed the competition and all 4 got or in the 3ds case is getting shyet loads of games and a lot are exclusive. 

why bother spend millions in a port if you can make it up by just releasing on the console that kicked ass?

JRPGfan said:
Azzanation said:
Ninsect said:

And this matters to gamers becuase?

It matters to developers... which means games, which matters to gamers.

You mean gamers on the PS4, not anyone else outside of that box, so yeah good for one portion of the market, terrible for the rest.

OT: Grats I guess, not like the 3DS will get continuously hammed up every few weeks to months like this will and has been for a while now, I wish this gen ws more like last where things were close and tight, everyone was practically a winner last gen instead of this gen where there's only one clear winner and two losers, the winners are the only party who get all the perks and benefits while the losers get zip.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Is it now that we can FINALLY say domination at last? I think we can say it without taboos.

And it was all achieved under a roof made of hype. Imagine of it had gamez :B

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
ikki5 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Last time I checked underneath PS4 it says 50.4%?

But it's not like they're different markets or anything, unless you want to count PC in 'marketshare in gaming'?

Yes, and I still don't agree with how VGchartz does it either since gaming is much more than just those 3 consoles, however I guess VGcharts really only deals with these 3 companies with the occasional articles on the side. But really, I always felt that VG charts should lump them all together or better define it. Even more so that the last gen consoles are still selling as well, they'd be in the same marketshare.

Market Segmentation is a device used to determine the performance in a certain area.  It takes the closes competitiors and it allows business to know just how well they are doing or could be doing.  The home console market has always had its on segment.   Of that market, Sony currently does half of all business.  

Around the Network
ikki5 said:

And yet the handhelds would still compete with the homeconsles as there are people who buy 1 or the other depending on what interests them.

I disagree. You can buy a Ferrari or a Smart car (or an old chinese car if you want) depending on what interests you, but nobody will ever compare their sales. Close use and even close/same audience doesn't mean same market. 

ikki5 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Wait, what's false?

Saying the PS4 has 50% of the marketshare as the marketshare in gaming is more than just those three consoles. Home Console Marketshare =/= Marketshare. The marketshare the TC is wanting to talk about is the home console marketshare, a single group in the entire marketshare which is where his fallacy is. he never defined exactly which marketshare it is and instead just labelled it "marketshare". I know its picky but it is stuff like this that skews data which give people gounds to argue something that is not entirly true regardless if it is for gaming or not.

this so full of fail that its sad...

home game console = home gaming market = 1 market

hand held game console = portable gaming market = another market

desktop pcs/laptops/whatever = primary funciton is not gaming hence not part of the gaming market but is in the computer market

mobile phones = can be used for games but primary funciton is not gaming but for calls and stuff = not part of handheld gaming market.

you're ether dumb, stupid or just plain an idiot not to get that by naming all of the "HOME GAME CONSOLES" and then saying ps4 has the majority or 50% markiet share the tc meant home console market.

now stop nit picking and stop being stupid. spreading your stupids is bad for the internetz.

- M, Carl

Zekkyou said:
Ka-pi96 said:
ikki5 said:

But the 3DS is there... oh right... home console people ignore handhelds.

This is a first for home consoles. Nintendo handhelds have had 100% market share (and will again next gen) so that's nothing new.

Didn't both the PS1 and PS2 have 50%+?

and Atari VCS, NES and possibly SNES. In fact it happens more often than not.

Awesome job, PS4!

ils411 said:
ikki5 said:

Saying the PS4 has 50% of the marketshare as the marketshare in gaming is more than just those three consoles. Home Console Marketshare =/= Marketshare. The marketshare the TC is wanting to talk about is the home console marketshare, a single group in the entire marketshare which is where his fallacy is. he never defined exactly which marketshare it is and instead just labelled it "marketshare". I know its picky but it is stuff like this that skews data which give people gounds to argue something that is not entirly true regardless if it is for gaming or not.

this so full of fail that its sad...

home game console = home gaming market = 1 market

hand held game console = portable gaming market = another market

desktop pcs/laptops/whatever = primary funciton is not gaming hence not part of the gaming market but is in the computer market

mobile phones = can be used for games but primary funciton is not gaming but for calls and stuff = not part of handheld gaming market.

you're ether dumb, stupid or just plain an idiot not to get that by naming all of the "HOME GAME CONSOLES" and then saying ps4 has the majority or 50% markiet share the tc meant home console market.

now stop nit picking and stop being stupid. spreading your stupids is bad for the internetz.

Even though I agree, be careful with your words or you wont last long.