By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony spokesperson clarifies Vita ‘legacy platform’ statement - refers to first generation models, ‘Our portable business will be continued’

I bought the first Vita model on purpose. That sexy OLED screen...

Around the Network

The Vita still has alot of potential as a platform but it falls into the competitive category as tablets and mobile devices only it has much better controls, but that doesnt justify a 200$ purchase. It needs to stand out and justify its pricetag or join Nintendo in its lineup of coming games to mobile devices. There is no doubt it can survive with the right marketing approach.

For anyone interested in RPGs btw, Konami is having daily Suikoden stream to measure interest and potentially save the Suikoden series by showing that people still care about it. If enough people join in and discuss it they may release the games on Steam, make sequals etc.

So please join in at http://www.twitch.tv/konami 3:30 PM Pacific time every weekday and discuss the series or just discover it if you're curious.

I'm not sure who house is trying to convince of what he says... he back pedaled pretty quickly though

It's just a real shame. Vita could've been a really amazing handheld. While it is a GOOD,no doubt, its just the ball was just dropped with it and its the main reason I don't own one D:

Hope Sony comes back with better focus with their next handheld(if they make another) and give it similar treatment that they do with their home consoles and I think they can do really well because they have the potential all ready there, they just need to utilize it

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

MikeRox said:
Blob said:
MikeRox said:

Thank you missed the sarcasm ;)

However at the same time, I'm sure they'd have already put them on 3DS if they thought there was much of a market there for them. It's not as if most of them would be too demanding for the 3DS. Plus from the very limited data we have from the dual format releases, the Vita versions tended to sell better. I think it's a niche market firmly entrenched on the PlayStation eco system for a lot of these games.

Do JRPGs usually sell that well on Nintendo systems? The recent ones on 3DS have been putting out more Vita like figures.

Why would you buy an inferior port for your 3ds when you can buy the better version on vita? I'd imagine many in Japan own both handhelds. 

If the nx handheld is more powerful, people will most likely just pick up the games on that. 

There are many many more who do not. (over 18m 3DS to under 4m Vita). So there are at least 14m 3DS owners without a Vita. I honestly just think the market isn't there on the Nintendo formats for a lot of these games as much as people would like to think.

Yeah that's a fair point. However I can still see the market migrating if it needed too. This is provided sony doesn't make a vita successor. If there was only one handheld all the games would go there. 

Blob said:
MikeRox said:

There are many many more who do not. (over 18m 3DS to under 4m Vita). So there are at least 14m 3DS owners without a Vita. I honestly just think the market isn't there on the Nintendo formats for a lot of these games as much as people would like to think.

Yeah that's a fair point. However I can still see the market migrating if it needed too. This is provided sony doesn't make a vita successor. If there was only one handheld all the games would go there. 

Or on PS3/PS4 as were currently seeing ;p

(Sword Art Online, Ys, Senran Kagura etc.)

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
Dr.Vita said:
Vita is not dead and it will have a good E3!

...A good TGS you mean. E3 will be 100% ps4.

StarOcean said:
So I have a legacy Vita v.v I'm part of the OLED master race!

OLED Master race! /highfive

Right, well one way or another its likely we will see no changes to the Sony policy on the device. Again, i just request them to bring over the japanese games, though a new Vita Uncharted could spurt sales in the west a bit. The tech is already there so i dont know why simply not make a new one.

Namiirei said:
Dr.Vita said:
Vita is not dead and it will have a good E3!

...A good TGS you mean. E3 will be 100% ps4.

Nah, you forgot 10% PSNow XD

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Vita is dead

HonestGamer said:
Vita is dead

Nein.