By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony spokesperson clarifies Vita ‘legacy platform’ statement - refers to first generation models, ‘Our portable business will be continued’

Darwinianevolution said:

What's the difference between the Vit with OLED and the one without it, exactly?

Cloudman said:
StarOcean said:
So I have a legacy Vita v.v I'm part of the OLED master race!

o: I thought it was arguable that the 1st version Vitas were better due to the OLED screen...

The original model has a better screen (OLED, the new uses LCD). The new model has 1GB of internal memory (so you get this plus what your memory card has), a better battery that gives around 1 extra hour and it's lighter, a smaller rear touchpad to avoid unintentional touches and more ergonomic start/select buttons.

I have the original one, but if I was choosing it now, I would get the new model for the extra hour of battery.

Around the Network
torok said:
Darwinianevolution said:

What's the difference between the Vit with OLED and the one without it, exactly?

Cloudman said:
StarOcean said:
So I have a legacy Vita v.v I'm part of the OLED master race!

o: I thought it was arguable that the 1st version Vitas were better due to the OLED screen...

The original model has a better screen (OLED, the new uses LCD). The new model has 1GB of internal memory (so you get this plus what your memory card has), a better battery that gives around 1 extra hour and it's lighter, a smaller rear touchpad to avoid unintentional touches and more ergonomic start/select buttons.

I have the original one, but if I was choosing it now, I would get the new model for the extra hour of battery.

Thanks for all the clarifications ; )

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

StarOcean said:
Cloudman said:

There's something I find odd about calling this version a 'legacy' version. Why are they now calling different versions of essentially the same console, but a newer version, a 'legacy' console. I just find that odd. Now they're dividing their consoles into sub groups or something...? Does that main the original 3DS is a legacy model too..?

No idea. I believe it's just PR BS to calm down the masses It was a way of avoiding a shit storm, otherwise they'd be attacked for killing it off even though only 3rd party has supported it the past 3 years

Yeah, I sorta suspect that myself. Most people would not like to hear what hints at them ending the console early.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Cloudman said:
StarOcean said:

No idea. I believe it's just PR BS to calm down the masses It was a way of avoiding a shit storm, otherwise they'd be attacked for killing it off even though only 3rd party has supported it the past 3 years

Yeah, I sorta suspect that myself. Most people would not like to hear what hints at them ending the console early.

The Vita might get 1st party support in the future, minimal, but it might be there. But as majority rule, 3rd party will make up 95% of their sales. The Vita is a JRPG/indie machine XD The memory cards are still it's greatest downfall. $40 for a 16gb memory card! I can't buy new games if the memory card prices are crap. It really does hurt its sales because there are some nice games I want but cant have due to the stupid memory cards

I'm going to give this E3 one last chance for Sony to prove that the Vita is still alive, after that I will stop hoping.

Around the Network
Cloudman said:
StarOcean said:
Cloudman said:

There's something I find odd about calling this version a 'legacy' version. Why are they now calling different versions of essentially the same console, but a newer version, a 'legacy' console. I just find that odd. Now they're dividing their consoles into sub groups or something...? Does that main the original 3DS is a legacy model too..?

The funny part is. Look at all the main Vita users on this forum. We're all just "no shit Sherlock" to the notion Sony is done with it hahah.

No shitstorm from the real Vita users.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:

The funny part is. Look at all the main Vita users on this forum. We're all just "no shit Sherlock" to the notion Sony is done with it hahah.

Yeah, funny how that works, huh? I love my Vita but I know it isn't supported. It's the non-Vita users that were flipping out about it. Every big gaming news site was acting like this was something new XD

StarOcean said:
MikeRox said:

Yeah, funny how that works, huh? I love my Vita but I know it isn't supported. It's the non-Vita users that were flipping out about it. Every big gaming news site was acting like this was something new XD

I love the vita and if the next nintendo handheld was a vita clone we would all be happy. But gee apart from a few games sony messed it up. At this point there are very few vita owners who believe that we will see much more from the vita outside of niche Japanese games. 

This statement comes across as damage control, nothing more. You just don't call one model a legacy model 

MikeRox said:
Cloudman said:
StarOcean said:
Cloudman said:

Then can we all agree Sony shouldn't make anymore official statements about the Vita. The whole thing was a little silly, but from what I have seen, it was more contained on this site compared to others.

.- -... -.-. -..

"refers to first generation models"

So... what was the PSP then?