By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I've come to realize that the "Souls" games and Bloodborne are terrible games...

Well, I'd like to play Bloodborne.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

I remember getting my copy of Demons Souls, being all excited because I heard how good it was.
Then after putting a few hours in it, I had the same reaction: This just sucks! No clear story, frustrating for the sake of it, everything is bleak, you have to start over and over again; this is just no fun.

Like a half year later I revisited it, and this time it just clicked. Big time.
The combat felt very compelling this time around, the level design second to none, the graphics design fantastically good, the vague but consistent lore totally compelling, game play systems so deep that I just wanted to learn everything about it.
What I thought sucked before, became something totally engrossing and immersive. I've been a fan of the Souls games (and by extension, Bloodborne) ever since.

I think this scenario is very common among other Souls fans.

Not saying everyone should like it, but calling it terrible and substandard compared to Dragon Age or The Witcher is just missing the mark. They're just totally different kinds of games even though superficially they share the same 'genre'.

FentonCrackshell said:
DD_Bwest said:
"I put it a good amout of play time into the game and after about 20 minutes and at least 20-25 baddies killed I'm bested by a huge guy with a brick and some demon dogs"

your completely contradicting yourself here, did you put a good amount of time into it, or did you just play 20 minutes and gave up?

No, I played for a while and kept dying. Then after killing a slew of enemies after about 20 of gameplay I died again and had to start from the beginning.

What challenge level are you playing at on Witcher 3?

PSN: Opticstrike90
Steam: opticstrike90

This literally me!

Played demon souls, enjoy the combat hate everything else. Thought I'd try out Dark Souls since people say thats the best, bought it, exact same problems. Ugly art, no atmosphere detected, no interest the the narrative, no interest in what the game had to offer my character, no interest in replaying through a level after randomly getting killed by a boulder that came from nowhere.

I think I will give Bloodborne a try once its on a budget, I've already seen that the world has a more tangible haunted atmosphere and more of a concrete artstyle properly realised by the PS4 architecture versus the other games that looked like medevil mud in my eyes.

Baryonyx said:
FentonCrackshell said:
DD_Bwest said:
"I put it a good amout of play time into the game and after about 20 minutes and at least 20-25 baddies killed I'm bested by a huge guy with a brick and some demon dogs"

your completely contradicting yourself here, did you put a good amount of time into it, or did you just play 20 minutes and gave up?

No, I played for a while and kept dying. Then after killing a slew of enemies after about 20 of gameplay I died again and had to start from the beginning.

What challenge level are you playing at on Witcher 3?

Death March. I'm going for the Platinum. It's not the difficulty of Bloodborne that puts me off though. I like that it's difficult. I'm a trophy hunter and I always play games on the hardest level. It's that it feels like the devs blast you back so far after a death just to add to gameplay length. That's the frustration.

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

Around the Network

I can only say shame on you. You logic also boggles the mind.

Oh let's try demon souls. Eh. Don't like it. No atmosphere crappy graphics and gameplay.

Oh dark souls. I hated the previous game but let's give them a chance. Eh. Don't like it. No atmosphere, crappy gameplay and graphics.

(I'm starting to see a pattern here.)

Oh dark souls 2. The sequel to a game I hate and a dev that creates all of its games pretty crappy. Let's get it. Eh don't like it. No atmosphere, crappy gameplay and graphics.

Omg omg from software are creating a spiritual successor to the souls games. Let's check out some gameplay. Ah it looks just like the previous games. Let's get it. Eh no atmosphere, crappy gameplay and graphics.

(Honestly I really don't get your logic. You either like to torture yourself or you have a very. Short memory.)

I only like the first souls game. Aint tried bloodborne

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

I can only say shame on you. You logic also boggles the mind.

Oh let's try demon souls. Eh. Don't like it. No atmosphere crappy graphics and gameplay.

Oh dark souls. I hated the previous game but let's give them a chance. Eh. Don't like it. No atmosphere, crappy gameplay and graphics.

(I'm starting to see a pattern here.)

Oh dark souls 2. The sequel to a game I hate and a dev that creates all of its games pretty crappy. Let's get it. Eh don't like it. No atmosphere, crappy gameplay and graphics.

Omg omg from software are creating a spiritual successor to the souls games. Let's check out some gameplay. Ah it looks just like the previous games. Let's get it. Eh no atmosphere, crappy gameplay and graphics.

(Honestly I really don't get your logic. You either like to torture yourself or you have a very. Short memory.)

I only like the first souls game. Aint tried bloodborne

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

teigaga said:
This literally me!

Played demon souls, enjoy the combat hate everything else. Thought I'd try out Dark Souls since people say thats the best, bought it, exact same problems. Ugly art, no atmosphere detected, no interest the the narrative, no interest in what the game had to offer my character, no interest in replaying through a level after randomly getting killed by a boulder that came from nowhere.

I think I will give Bloodborne a try once its on a budget, I've already seen that the world has a more tangible haunted atmosphere and more of a concrete artstyle properly realised by the PS4 architecture versus the other games that looked like medevil mud in my eyes.

I'm amazed that so many seem to share my sentiments yet people are writing of my opinions like I'm trolling. They're valid opinions.

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

Yeah, i've never been able to get into any of them either. Mainly because i don't have enough patience to play them.

I suspect many Souls fans are older gamers who remember how hard old games were: That you were never really sure if you'd ever be able to reach the end at all. And the thrills of getting one step further out of pure skill that you attained from repetition and practice.
Not saying "old games were better!"; in fact I think by and large games have generally become better.

But the Souls games rekindle this kind of magic that got lost in this age of focus testing.