By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Exclusive GTA4 DLC just some side missions?

http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=184564

Am I reading this wrong? He didnt confirm or deny what the DLC actually is, but it seems like they'll be in game missions that you'll purchase while playing?

"In the game, you might be walking around and then someone will come up to you and say something like, 'Hey, I need your help', and you'll be like, 'What? This isn't a story mission', and he'll be like, 'You see that room up there? That's my wife and she's f***ing some bloke, and I need you to go and do...' and this little story will unfold from there just randomly," Houser told Egde.

That doesn't seem like whole parts of the city, but more extra missions that would be asked of you in the game. "Would you like to help this guy kill his wife and her bf? Gimme $5 bitch." Lol. Well thats how im seeing it. What do you guys think?

Also, if these were just side missions im pretty sure it would keep the downloads relatively small. Maybe this is why Microsoft has called it DLC, but not specified exactly what it is. I dont think even they know yet.

Around the Network

Rockstar isn't saying much about GTA IV's exclusive Xbox 360 DLC (rumoured to have cost MS upwards of $50m), but the first hints on what we might be able to expect from the downloadable 'episodes' have finally emerged, in the latest issue of Edge magazine.

Speaking to Edge in its massive behind the scenes GTA feature (we almost got our wages docked reading it), Rockstar boss Sam Houser hints that the 360 download content might take the form of random missions, thought it's all dependent on the reaction of fans, he says.

"In the game, you might be walking around and then someone will come up to you and say something like, 'Hey, I need your help', and you'll be like, 'What? This isn't a story mission', and he'll be like, 'You see that room up there? That's my wife and she's f***ing some bloke, and I need you to go and do...' and this little story will unfold from there just randomly," Houser told Egde.

"The opportunity for things like that [with DLC] I would say is enormous. Really, though, for the downloadable content in general, it's about seeing how people get turned on by the game, and then we will tailor the production."

It might not sound like exactly what we were expecting for Microsoft's (alleged) $50m tag, but Houser promises that even if it does come in the from of a mission pack, the 360 DLC will still be "substantial".

"I think the mission packs with the episodes are going to be pretty deep, offering another full-on adventure in this world," he told Edge. "I think we will be in a position to market them not a million miles away from the way the boxed game is marketed."

Assuming people like the game then Houser's sense is that they'll probably like the episodes too, he says.

"And if they like the episodes it will probably make sense to market them aggressively, and we want people to be there on that first day as much as is realistic. Our goal will be to fry those Xbox Live servers - we want to have as many people tune in at that moment as possible."

Don't worry though, the marketing budget isn't going to spawn from your Microsoft Points: "You'll get a lot of content for your money," says Houser. "There are too many stories at the moment of people having the feeling that they're not getting enough for their money in terms of downloadable content.

"I never want people feeling that we've duped them in any way, shape or form. That's something that we've been into from the beginning."

The full 16-page talk with Houser, in which he reveals the stories behind GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas and yes, GTA IV, is in Edge 187, on sale March 13

Time to Work !

I believe this "DLC" whatever it is will not give the 360 a great lead over PS3 in terms of sales of GTA4.

whatever, we still dont know what will be the exclusive content ...

Time to Work !

Auron said:
I believe this "DLC" whatever it is will not give the 360 a great lead over PS3 in terms of sales of GTA4.

Nope.

Just leave that to the six million unit install base lead, and the massive marketing campaign that Microsoft will do to recoup the 50 million spent on the DLC.

Around the Network

Really, if thats all it is then I dont see it swaying mainstream too much. And as far as marketing, unless they can remove Sony's name entirely from commercials I dont see that having much effect either.

If they arent careful, Microsoft may just end up marketing for Sony to have a huge PS3 boost.

Are there any rules against Sony releasing commercials as well? I would think Sony would have some advertising rights if the game is coming to their console.

MS may have the advantage with GTA, but they've certainly misspent their cash by buying this exclusive DLC. It's not worth the cost unless the DLC in total makes for an etire second game's worth of content, and even then I don't think enough people will be interested in it for MS to recover their costs. GTA was going to lean towards the 360 anyway, just due to current customer demographics, and it's humorous to think that MS not only didn't expect that but they also paid $50 million to try to take the edge on something they'll win anyway.

And at the end of the day, they'll still do too little damage to Sony to maintain their position forever.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Jandre002 said:
Really, if thats all it is then I dont see it swaying mainstream too much. And as far as marketing, unless they can remove Sony's name entirely from commercials I dont see that having much effect either.

If they arent careful, Microsoft may just end up marketing for Sony to have a huge PS3 boost.

Are there any rules against Sony releasing commercials as well? I would think Sony would have some advertising rights if the game is coming to their console.

In the run up to Assassins Creed, there where loads of TV ads but no mention of the PS3, on the flip side there was no mention of the 360 in the Burnout Paradise ads either. MS can in theory have exclusive advertising rights, which will help a fiar bit I think, especially if the mention the DLC.

If they were it would be something people would enjoy like a new island or guns, cars etc

Mistershine said:
Jandre002 said:

In the run up to Assassins Creed, there where loads of TV ads but no mention of the PS3, on the flip side there was no mention of the 360 in the Burnout Paradise ads either. MS can in theory have exclusive advertising rights, which will help a fiar bit I think, especially if the mention the DLC.

Over in the US, there was a fair bit of Playstation 3 advertising for Assassin's Creed. Sales for that game seemed to follow a ratio at least similar to the install bases. 3.49 million for the 360 version and 2.33 million for the PS3 version so far. I'd expect something similar for GTA IV in the end, just with larger numbers.