By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U version of Project CARS facing troubles, likely cancelled

super6646 said:
CosmicSex said:

I am not entirely sure its the graphics that are holding the system back here.  From what I have been hearing from Slightly Mad, it seems like there is a crisis of processing power.  They apparen'y use 2 CPU cores just for tire models on PS4/Xbox One.... so Wii U only has 2 cores...  They seem to need more porcessing power just for physics, AI and drawcalls.  Its not completely clear if the system can run the physics by itself at 30FPS.

Then its either almost an entirely different game, or its canceled. That must suck for Wii U owners.

Yeah I think so as well.  I remember when the alleged Wii U trailer dropped.  It got massive attention.  I think folks were generally exctied for it.  

Around the Network
Sensei said:

Why are they even trying to bring this too Wii U? Might as well port it to PS3 and 360 since they're same gen/power levels.

Trying to port a PS4 game to Wii U is just laughable, those devs will need to downgrade it to sub-hd if they want it to run at 30 fps.

well tother devs do that for xbone so why not for wiiu 2?

but thats not the real problem, the real problem is that they are full of shit. they talked so much bs. nobody would care if they said they will TRY to make a port and cancelled that later.  

JNK said:
super6646 said:

Watch Dogs runs like horse shit on PC.

yeah but it runs bad on wii u too. The game runs better on xbox360/ps3 as on wii u (wii u was a delayed cheap port). Unfortunaly with the lack of third party tiles on wii u there wasnt much selective. But still, if a game can run 15-20 fps on a surface 2 tablet (pCars does that) it CANT be any problem to bring that game to the wii u in 720p30fps

A Surface Pro 2 aactually has a more powerful CPU. Not to talk about RAM etc.

Wii U GPU: likely VLIW 5 Shaderunits, 320@550MHz=352GFLOP/s (could be 160 shaderunits as well=176GFLOP/s)

Intel HD 4400 higly depends on the clock speed. Which can be from 200-1100 MHz. Max clock should be 432 GFLOP/s. Lowest clock, well, slightly over 80GFLOP/s.

Now, X 360 has 240 GFLOP/s. But it got a (much) more powerful CPU.

why not just let it at 640p? COD and watch_dogs and lots os ps3 games are, and i didnt see anyone complaining.
keep visuals, effects, FPS, just low the resolution.

jonathanalis said:
why not just let it at 640p? COD and watch_dogs and lots os ps3 games are, and i didnt see anyone complaining.

Read my post above, pretty much the exact same thing you said.

Around the Network

Wont help you any if the CPU is a problem. Which it can be because of a ton of reasons. Wont help you either with streaming issues, because streaming from Blu Ray is a pain in the ass.
Take AC Unity. THat game has prebacked lighting. The CPU has to decompress and handle that data, Just one of many examples.

And Wii U's CPU is weak. It's not a dumb desing (CELL was, basically brute force), but terribly slow. Jaguar in PS4/Xone has arround 103/115 GFLOP/s.
WiiU's CPU is somewhere between 10 and 15 GFLOP/s. Should be more in the 15GFLOP/s direction if it scales perfectly with clock speed and number of cores.
So that is basically seven times slower than PS4 CPU and almost 8 times slower than Xbox Ones CPU.
Wii U's GPU is, best guess, a cut down AMD Redwood like in the Radeon 5550. Just not with deaactivated units. That's not that bad. The CPU can become a real bottleneck though.

jonathanalis said:

because the hardware isnt the real problem.

i guess pCars sold weaker as they had expected on ps4/xbox one and pc and they dont want to put more money into a wii u port which will sell poorly.

captain carot said:
JNK said:

yeah but it runs bad on wii u too. The game runs better on xbox360/ps3 as on wii u (wii u was a delayed cheap port). Unfortunaly with the lack of third party tiles on wii u there wasnt much selective. But still, if a game can run 15-20 fps on a surface 2 tablet (pCars does that) it CANT be any problem to bring that game to the wii u in 720p30fps

A Surface Pro 2 aactually has a more powerful CPU. Not to talk about RAM etc.

Wii U GPU: likely VLIW 5 Shaderunits, 320@550MHz=352GFLOP/s (could be 160 shaderunits as well=176GFLOP/s)

Intel HD 4400 higly depends on the clock speed. Which can be from 200-1100 MHz. Max clock should be 432 GFLOP/s. Lowest clock, well, slightly over 80GFLOP/s.

Now, X 360 has 240 GFLOP/s. But it got a (much) more powerful CPU.

are you serious? a surface pro 2 stance no chance in terms of gaming compared to a wii u.  gflops´and other numbers arnt everything. a sp2 is made for office, a wii u is a dedicated gaming device. i highly doubt mario kart 8 could run on a surface pro 2 in 60 fps.

An Atari VCS 2600 is a dedicated gaming device as well.

Wii U's CPU is, in plain words, painfully slow. Now Project CARS has really demanding physics. Basically Wii U cant handle the tire model at all. Just read a little bit in the WMD forum.

So they'd have to change the complete tire model to a much simpler as well as tons of other things. Which means Wii U owners would get one of those 'lazy ports'. In fact the CPU is to slow for a lot of things.

If Nintendo only at least had went for a 1.6GHz PPC quadcore or, better for everyone but Nintendos own devs, an x86 quadcore with 1,6GHz that would be much less of an issue.

Wii U owners aren't missing much. Its physics are not very good for a sim racer.