By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What about the "casuals" #casual8gen

Now that the "hardcore gamer" mostly have gotten a gen 8 home console and the dust has settled.. we can assume that the more "casual" videogamer will start enter gen 8..  But what matter for theese people.. How is it in your contry..?

just for clearance

In this tread.. "casuals" means normal people who buy a console just like they buy a computer or other gadet.. meaning looking more at what it offer.. and price.. rather than a special brand/model.

• Big part of that group is parents buying for kids (and them self mayby :)
  • Other part could be "public places" like kindergardens.. schools.. hotels.. and so.
  • And offcourse 15-45 years who see the right game/experince/service and price

We dont know how many they are.. but I would mean that it's atleast 75% of all console owners from gen 7.. and even so this gen proberly will be smaller.. it's safe to say that its more than 100 mill. (imo)

In my contry I think what matters the most for "casuals" is (most important number 1)

1.  New type games

2.  Price (that includes any additional price.. monthly pay.. extra controllers.. cabels)

3.  "Normal" AAA games

4.  Media capability

5.  Resolution/framerate

Is it the same where you live.. or do you see it in an other way.. ?

Around the Network

check sale rate on games (best selling ps4 games: Fifa, COD; wii u: mario kart)
The gen is already full of casuals.

1. Is it as mulitfunctional as a tablet?
2. Why aren't there as many free games as on tablet?
3. I rather buy a tablet (for my kid)

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:
1. Is it as mulitfunctional as a tablet?
2. Why aren't there as many free games as on tablet?
3. I rather buy a tablet (for my kid)

Same but with mobile.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

They left Wii and went to iphone.

Around the Network

I think PS2 type casual-mainstream type of gamers are back with PS4, casuals moved on to mobile/social games.

JNK said:
check sale rate on games (best selling ps4 games: Fifa, COD; wii u: mario kart)
The gen is already full of casuals.

Why are you mention.. 3 games that "Hardcore" offcourse will be very interestet in.. ? 

And are you trying to say that first 42 mill sold in this gen.. not mostly is to what we call "hardcore"..?

But.. okay.. I give you that there offcourse are some "casuals".. but that does not mean that they will not come in even bigger numbers next few years.. So instead.. :) tell what you think is important for this group.

How do you see it.. and if you should "predict" a number..  how many "casuals" do you think will come to gen 8.. from now and until the gen is over..?

they are allready on xbox and ps4...look at the sales, the casual series are selling realy well, the core sale okayish

Not this nonsense again.

Why does this thread assume the the majority of Gen 8 console owners are hardcore? The hardcore will never be the majority, not even at the beginning.

This is only anecdotal, but I know dozens of gen 8 owners. Know how many are hardcore aside from me? One. And he's never even been on a gaming site.