By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Has MS recouped all their losses from the 360 ?

The following is my own personal opinion. I do not claim that 100% of the things I write are facts.

In the food bussiness, many restaurants cut costs by using cheap or low quality ingredients to prepare their meals. That way, they can charge lower prices and still make a profit.

When you have a console with an unusually high failure rate such as the Xbox 360 (I've personally witnessed four of them fried to a well-done crisp) you can only attribute such a faulty performance to either A) Cheap, crappy components or B) Sloppy manufacturing methods.

If MS did cut corners in producing the first few millions of 360s, that must mean they should have made some profit. That, of course, backfired in a big way when they were forced to renew their warranty services to cover all the ''RRODed'' consoles being sent back to them.

I commend Microsoft for fixing the problems (in other words, improving the quality of their console) while at the same time continuing to lower the system's price. They also have a very strong library. (I personally do not enjoy FPS games at all, but other games, such as Mass Effect, completely captivated me).

The RROD fiasco must have put the gaming division deeply into the red. But if the console stops losing its momentum by capitalizing on AAA games such as GTA IV, they will see modest-to-decent profits sometime in the near future.

Make sure the shadow you chase is not the one you cast.

Around the Network
johnsobas said:
uh, they lost something around 7 billion dollars already, and made back only around 200-300 million. I reason they made xbox was not because they wanted money, but to get their product in your living room. Granted they'd love to make money off of it, but i think they're very far from pulling out of the console race.
That's not even for the 360, it's for their whole electronics division. So they've probably lost alot more than 7 billion.

krik said:
@OP:

Are you serious? They lost 7B and had 2 profitable quarters of >200M, so they still down 6.5B.
Again, not the 360's profit, it's profit from Mobile software, Zune's, and stuff like that.

I see a lot of people pooping on Sony's PS3 numbers and saying that they are no better than the Xbox 360s or worse.

Here is something you guys need to remember, but will never see in a Playstation profit/loss chart. With Playstation 3, Sony won the HD format war, which has the possibilities (im not saying certainty) of making Sony billions in royalties, but like I said, you will never see all that royalty money on a Playstation profit/loss chart, even though they PS3 won the format war for Blu-ray.

PS3 is going to make Sony money on more than one front, unlike the MS or Nintendo. In 10 years we could very well have a very valid argument that the PS3 created more revenue and profit for Sony than any console ever for any company. This all of course depending on Blu-rays success.

Stockstar1138 said:
I see a lot of people pooping on Sony's PS3 numbers and saying that they are no better than the Xbox 360s or worse.

Here is something you guys need to remember, but will never see in a Playstation profit/loss chart. With Playstation 3, Sony won the HD format war, which has the possibilities (im not saying certainty) of making Sony billions in royalties, but like I said, you will never see all that royalty money on a Playstation profit/loss chart, even though they PS3 won the format war for Blu-ray.

PS3 is going to make Sony money on more than one front, unlike the MS or Nintendo. In 10 years we could very well have a very valid argument that the PS3 created more revenue and profit for Sony than any console ever for any company. This all of course depending on Blu-rays success.

You are win, and I hope what you say comes true. Blu ray can make Sony alot of money.  I went into Blockbuster yesterday and noticed that the Bluray section is substantially larger than it used to be, only about 15-20% of DVD space but growing and getting good advertising.  There are only a few more HDDVD's in the store, and are being sold at a ridiculously reduced price, for obvious reasons.

Around the Network
kn said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
starcraft said:
Why would they do that when they are first starting to make money and properly build brand name? They are in this game (get it?) for far more than actually outselling competitors unit to unit like Nintendo.

Because that's why Nintendo is here, to emptily outsell their competitors with no real substance to show for it.

Don't be a shill, their "profit" doesn't include the billion dollar loss due to RRoD, and does include Zune sales.

360 has been a total stinker so far, like the Xbox before it. Now with price cuts and no Halo 3, or first party supersellers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the 2007 number in that chart contains the $1B writeoff so the total IS including that number.   And not to piss on anyone's parade, but Sony's numbers aren't any better.  Yes, Sony had a profit in the past, but they have dumped nearly $3B in 2007-2008...  That's a hell of a lot of money.  Almost 50% of Microsofts losses over the last 6 years.  If the 360 is a "stinker" in terms of profits, then the PS3 is as well.  Both companies have taken the "give away the razor and sell the blades" mentality just a bit too far.
yes but sony has won the all profitable HD movie battle which means they loss 3b for 2 reasons not one. microsfot loss double that and will not own anything or make money off anything for a while. Sony will make billions off blu-ray and a lot of the ps3 itself. thats a good deal to me.....

People that say the 360 doesn't have a great lineup of games this year are simply blind. Gears of war 2, fable 2, gta 4 with extra content, too human, ninja gaiden 2, splinter cell, banjo 3 (if it gets released) etc etc. Its not like the 360's games have simply dried up. The 360 will have a lot of great sellers this year.

But yes the xbox is in the red. I hope Microsoft can get it out of its hole eventually. Another thing to think about, because of the weakening us dollar the price drop in Europe wont affect the console profitability that much.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
starcraft said:
Why would they do that when they are first starting to make money and properly build brand name? They are in this game (get it?) for far more than actually outselling competitors unit to unit like Nintendo.

Because that's why Nintendo is here, to emptily outsell their competitors with no real substance to show for it.

Don't be a shill, their "profit" doesn't include the billion dollar loss due to RRoD, and does include Zune sales.

360 has been a total stinker so far, like the Xbox before it. Now with price cuts and no Halo 3, or first party supersellers.

WHOA!!!!! Nintendo made more money in 08 than Sony did in 10 years!!!!! OT: MS has lost alot BUT they have INFINITE moneh.....They can last the WHOLE generation NEVER making any money.....barely...

supermariogalaxy said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
starcraft said:

WHOA!!!!! Nintendo made more money in 08 than Sony did in 10 years!!!!! OT: MS has lost alot BUT they have INFINITE moneh.....They can last the WHOLE generation NEVER making any money.....barely...

Firstly Nintendo haven't made more in 08 than Sony have in 10 years , get your facts right.

Despite MS's seemingly infinite reserves of money they still have shareholders , targets and the aim to make a profit . They're not in the business because they're bored.

Rock_on_2008 said:
No where near recouping its loss on XBox 360, maybe in three years time it will break even.

Its called XBox 360, because when you look at it you turn 360 degrees and walk away.

Been sitting on my harddrive so long I just had to post this.

CIHYFS?