By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Witcher 3 - Out Now! Impressions?

Tagged games:

Opinion?

Excellent! 254 42.62%

Great! 71 11.91%

Good 32 5.37%

It's OK 32 5.37%

Eh... 13 2.18%

No thanks 20 3.36%

Get this thing out of here! 7 1.17%

See results 164 27.52%

Total:593
HoloDust said:

Well, with that amount of trees in Witcher 3 it's wonder poor bugger wants to run at all once you get into woods.

But yeah, he really gets stuck sometimes, and sometimes he's behaving bit too much like real horse (not wanting to go down steep hills), but I'm guessing they made him that way.

On the other hand, I find him very usefull, Nekker Warrior Decoction gives one helluva way to run into strongest of enemies a lot higher than you.

Wait, you use the horse in battle?  I can't get him to swing his sword on the side the enemies on. The sword swings to the opposite side of enemies, almost purposely it feels. Thank goodness for the Quen and Igni signs, I've learned to take on almost any monster or human with those two.

Around the Network
cannonballZ said:
HoloDust said:

Well, with that amount of trees in Witcher 3 it's wonder poor bugger wants to run at all once you get into woods.

But yeah, he really gets stuck sometimes, and sometimes he's behaving bit too much like real horse (not wanting to go down steep hills), but I'm guessing they made him that way.

On the other hand, I find him very usefull, Nekker Warrior Decoction gives one helluva way to run into strongest of enemies a lot higher than you.

Wait, you use the horse in battle?  I can't get him to swing his sword on the side the enemies on. The sword swings to the opposite side of enemies, almost purposely it feels. Thank goodness for the Quen and Igni signs, I've learned to take on almost any monster or human with those two.

Yeah, I use him all the time, specially when I don't want to bother much with group of bandits or pack of wolfs or nekkers.

Geralt does alternates from which side he swings, it depends on closest enemy. If you're riding fast in most cases he will do it properly, if you're however sprinting with Roach, you have to be more carefull, since he won't have time to switch in time if you're not stirring correctly, but damage you inflict is higher.

It was specially usefull when I bumped into my first Leshen - he was a LOT higher level then me and though they are not very tough, once they call that wolf pack that is also a lot higher level than you, things turn ugly real soon. So 'cavalry charge' was my way to deal with them, I didn't have decoction at the time, so I had to menage horse's fear level carefully, since those wolfs were very persistant in their pursuit, even after I killed Leshen.

Fighting on the horse... I tried it, impossible with the frame rate and the camera, too hard to watch. It's Quen and Igni for me as well, plus whatever bombs I have equipped. The horse is better for running past enemies, Geralt always turns to face them instead of jogging along, and you can't climb when enemies are near.

I found a wonderful cave today, it was raining underground, quite magical. Some talented bandits too that were banging on an open door, good mime technique with sound and all. The people inside didn't seem to notice. I tried to climb to that tree in the south of Velen again (road to bald mountain). This time the lvl 26 foglets didn't pose too much trouble, yet the only way up seems to be behind a locked door. I searched the 3 groups of houses and the underground passages, found some notes but no quest nor key anywhere and only more invisible walls preventing climbing up. I only have 2 high lvl contracts left in Velen, nothing for that tree place.
I guess I'll head to Skellige tomorrow, the game obviously doesn't want me up there :/

That leshen with the wolves was a bit of a surprise. I barely managed to get away to regroup. If you go far enough away you can take the wolves on one at a time while the leshen patiently waits at his tree.

SvennoJ said:
Fighting on the horse... I tried it, impossible with the frame rate and the camera, too hard to watch. It's Quen and Igni for me as well, plus whatever bombs I have equipped. The horse is better for running past enemies, Geralt always turns to face them instead of jogging along, and you can't climb when enemies are near.

Try Aard sometimes , I find it's good for crowd control, if you have decent sign intensity it knocks down enemies for a while, so it's good for packs. Specially since it gives you a chance to kill them then with one stab.

cannonballZ said:
dane007 said:

what platform are you playing on ? i havent had any bugs or crashes on pc so far in 24hrs i have played

PS4. The updates fixed a few problems and gave us others. The frame rate is pretty shit now, it stutters more often than before. I don't know what they thought they did to fix the swimming 'cause swimming is still has shit controls and movement.

I like the game, a lot. I have over 200 hours, have completed over 160 missions. But I now fear losing progress all the time. I save every few minutes to make sure I can at least continue from a nearby point. If this game wasn't so broken, it would be a 10/10 in my book. 

Thats a shame. I can't  say much as its pretty much flawless on pc. Yea  the game sis pretty awesome. For me its the best RPG this generation and definetly best one this year. Wow you have dedicated qyuite a bit on it. Is this just one playthrough or multiple?  I dont blame, i would be frustatied  if i experienced that many issues. I wonder if peopel playing xbox one suffers the same issues as you ?

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
SvennoJ said:

Try Aard sometimes , I find it's good for crowd control, if you have decent sign intensity it knocks down enemies for a while, so it's good for packs. Specially since it gives you a chance to kill them then with one stab.

Best way to knock people off the horse is aard and hten you just go up close to them and stab them and its instant kill. On ground, fastest way to kill enemy is to use Axii. Everytime you cast that spell, one human gets stun and you automatically do the finisher. Helps out in killing alot  fo enemies quickly and even higher level ones as well. 

Out of curiosity , anyone playing the xbox one version here, suffer issues like people here have been on the ps4 version?

The Witcher 3 gets an enormous console patch and new free DLC this week
By Dave Tach on Jun 10, 2015 at 8:30a @dptach

SHARE TWEET

STAY CONNECTED. FOLLOW POLYGON NOW! ×
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is getting two updates this week from developer CD Projekt Red, including patch 1.04 for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One and some free new downloadable content that includes a new quest and Gwent cards.

This week's free DLC contains a quest called Fool's Gold and a neutral set of Gwent cards called Ballad Heroes for The Witcher 3's card game, according to a Facebook post on the series' official page. CD Projekt Red hasn't announced a release date for either beyond this week, but you can see a teaser image for both below.

the witcher 3 dlc
CD Projekt Red announced last year that The Witcher 3 would get a mix of free and paid DLC. Previous free items included a crossbow and alternative character looks. The game will also receive two large, paid add-ons, totaling more than 30 hours of additional gameplay by the developer's estimate.

Patch 1.04 arrived for The Witcher 3's console versions today, and its changes span the continuum to close exploits, rebalance the price of maps and fix crashes. You can find the full list of patch notes from CD Projekt Red below.

1. Fixes a possible exploit by preventing certain drowners from respawning infinitely.
  2. Improves the distribution of experience points gained by completing quests with recommended levels lower than the player character level.
  3. Fixes an exploit whereby players could buy sea shells and sell the pearls inside them at a higher price.
  4. Deploys the Bovine Defense Force Initiative.
  5. Rebalances the prices of maps that can be purchased from merchants.
  6. Improves camera behavior when the player executes finishing blows.
  7. Fixes an issue where the player could loot mutagens from Nightwraith clones.
  8. Fixes an issue whereby interaction with Fiend decoction was incorrect when Geralt was overburdened.
  9. Fixes a rare issue whereby Geralt could not mount Roach after fast travelling between points.
  10. Introduces a number of fixes in in-game communities.
  11. Introduces a number of fixes related to combat.
  12. Fixes an issue where the player could not deflect arrows/bolts at longer distances.
  13. Fixes a crash that could occur on the transition to the Isle of Mists location during the quest of the same title.
  14. Fixes a number of issues related to horseback riding.
  15. Improves Geralt's movement, especially when he swims.
  16. Improves the smoothness of camera movement.
  17. The player can no longer target foes positioned on different building floors than Geralt.
  18. Fixes a number of issues related to Vitality regeneration.
  19. Fixes an issue whereby certain actions could be randomly blocked during gameplay.
  20. Autosaves will no longer be created when Geralt dies.
  21. Unequipping saddle bags now correctly affects Geralt's capacity.
  22. Fixes an issue whereby Geralt could be attached to a sinking boat while aiming his crossbow.
  23. Vitality begins to drop if Toxicity exceeds 80%, as originally intended.
  24. Roach no longer levitates after being summoned while Geralt is on a slope.
  25. Fixes a rare issue where Geralt could become invincible after executing some finishing blows.
  26. Introduces a number of general stability and performance improvements.
  27. Introduces a fix for occasional game freezes or infinite loading screens that occurred upon exiting the Main Menu.
  28. Improves performance in selected scenes and cutscenes.
  29. Adds a series of color-blind friendly features. Improves visibility of tracks, marks, footprints and scent clues. Color-blind friendly features can be enabled in the OptionsGameplay submenu.
  30. Ciri can no longer unlock fast travel points.
  31. Fixes incorrectly named female travelers in some localized versions.
  32. Fixes an issue where Geralt could pass through walls in the fish market in Novigrad.
  33. Fixes an issue where in certain situations the game could crash while a save was being loaded.
  34. Adds a collision near Kaer Gelen that could cause the player to be blocked inside the building.
  35. Improves the scale of selected elements of the GUI and HUD.
  36. Reward messages are no longer displayed over black screens.
  37. Disables "Input device changed" messages and adds options to disable on-screen combat feedback and floating tags above NPCs.
  38. Introduces a number of improvements in the tutorial messages for gwent.
  39. Introduces a number of bug fixes and user experience improvements in the GUI panels.
  40. Adds an information prompt and Journal entries related to new DLC packages.
  41. Fixes an issue where the player could not talk or otherwise interact with certain NPCs.
  42. The player can no longer venture beyond the game world boundaries during the Through Time and Space quest.
  43. Fixes an issue where some players could not make Geralt run after the Wandering in the Dark quest.
  44. Fixes an issue where Keira could sometimes fall beneath the terrain during the Wandering in the Dark quest.
  45. Fixes an issue where players could not talk to Octo after the Lord of Undvik quest.
  46. Reduces the number of Wild Hunt minions spawned during the Ciri's Story: Fleeing the Bog quest.
  47. Fixes an issue where certain actions were blocked during the Blindingly Obvious quest.
  48. The bookmaker at the races held at the Vegelbud Estate now spawns correctly.
  49. The Forefathers' Eve quest can no longer interrupt the quest titled A Favor for a Friend.
  50. Fixes an infinite black screen that could occur during the Now or Never quest.
  51. Fixes an issue whereby some witch hunters would disappear during the Now or Never quest.
  52. Fixes a number of errors in dialogue during the Of Dairy and Darkness quest.
  53. The monster in the Contract: Dragon quest now spawns correctly, and the relevant Journal entries update properly.
  54. Fixes an issue where player character inebriation and the related effect could become permanent when invoked during the No Place Like Home quest.
  55. Fixes an issue where the player could get trapped in the ruins of Tuirseach Castle.
  56. Geralt can now always play gwent with Madame Serenity.
  57. Fixes an issue where Vernon Roche would not appear at the Hanged Man's Tree during the Eye for an Eye quest.
  58. Fixes an issue where the player could not activate a portal during the Wandering in the Dark quest.
  59. Fixes an issue where the sirens in the Lord of Undvik quest could be invincible.
  60. Fixes an issue where the player could not perform certain actions after the Carnal Sins quest.
  61. Fixes an infinite loading screen that could occur during the King's Gambit quest.
  62. Fixes an issue where Ermion could not leave Lugos' area during the Sunstone quest.
  63. Fixes an issue whereby Triss could get stuck on a set of stairs after a scene during the Now or Never quest.
  64. Fixes an issue that prevented a character spawning for a random encounter.
  65. The player can now always leave the crypt during the Scavenger Hunt: Viper School Gear quest.
  66. Fixes an issue where Simun did not spawn properly during the Unpaid Debt quest.
  67. Fixes an issue where the player could experience a progression break after choosing a certain dialogue option when talking to Dijkstra in the Count Reuven's Treasure quest.
  68. Fixes an issue where some players could not interact with an object during the Pyres of Novigrad quest.
  69. Fixes an issue in the Contract: The Oxenfurt Drunk quest where the katakan was not hostile after being lured.
  70. Fixes an issue where certain actions were blocked during the Blindingly Obvious quest.
  71. Fixes an issue in the Contract: Shrieker quest where the shrieker was not hostile in certain situations.
  72. Fixes an issue where the player could not perform certain actions in the Master of the Arena quest.
  73. Fixes an issue where the player could not interact with Hattori during the Swords and Dumplings quest.
  74. Fixes an issue where the player could not fast travel under certain rare circumstances.
  75. Fixes an issue where the player could not perform certain actions after the Carnal Sins quest.
  76. The player can no longer take on the Apiarian Phantom contract multiple times.
  77. Fixes an issue where some players could not progress during the Broken Flowers quest.
  78. Fixes an issue whereby the "Novigrad, Closed City" entry might have remained in the Journal indefinitely.
  79. The player can now use the activator received from Triss during the quest titled The Battle of Kaer Morhen.
  80. Players can no longer prematurely obtain a key from a halfling, thus blocking the Contract: The Apiarian Phantom quest.
  81. Fixes an issue in the Return to Crookback Bog quest where monsters were spawned inside a building.
  82. Fixes an issue in the Greedy God quest where the player could kill a monster twice.
  83. Adds fail-safes for players being unable to obtain gwent cards after Dijkstra or Lambert can no longer be found in the game.
  84. Fixes an issue where Vernon Roche failed to proceed to Oxenfurt Bridge after a scene during the Get Junior quest.
  85. Fixes an issue where Geralt could not interact with a torch in the Get Junior quest.
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt was released for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Windows PC last month. Just yesterday, the developer's CEO announced that the game has sold 4 million copies in its first two weeks.

For more on the game — which can be 25 or 200 hours long — you can read Polygon's review, an opinion piece about how CD Projekt Red made a hit "without being a jerk to its fans" and follow along with our series of video guides. Press play below to see the game in action in our Overview video.

dane007 said:
HoloDust said:

Best way to knock people off the horse is aard and hten you just go up close to them and stab them and its instant kill. On ground, fastest way to kill enemy is to use Axii. Everytime you cast that spell, one human gets stun and you automatically do the finisher. Helps out in killing alot  fo enemies quickly and even higher level ones as well. 

Suprisignly, while I tend to use Axii on ocasional monster (especially alt mode to temporarily ally one), I never use it on bandits - I just prefer to see them burn with Igni as well as with sword which has chance to cause burning. ;)

I find Aard specially useful for coordinated packs, like wolfs and Nekkers, since sometimes I can knock down 3-4 at once and kill 2 with insta then.

HoloDust said:
dane007 said:
HoloDust said:

Suprisignly, while I tend to use Axii on ocasional monster (especially alt mode to temporarily ally one), I never use it on bandits - I just prefer to see them burn with Igni as well as with sword which has chance to cause burning. ;)

I find Aard specially useful for coordinated packs, like wolfs and Nekkers, since sometimes I can knock down 3-4 at once and kill 2 with insta then.

Fair enough. Nice, that works as well , but when you have tonnes of enemies, best chance to see heads flying ;)  or even arms flying hehe.  Yea Aard is usally for monster. Its even very goo, if you get surrounded by accident.  The game is very addictive. Very hard to pu tit down , once you start playing it lol