By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon Single Player takes 5 to 7 hours!

Captain_Yuri said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I am just giving an example. I have no intention of buying Blops3

Ah, well I intend on getting both and never thought for a second that one game invalidates the purchase of the other in the slightest, naturally as I don't buy games for modes but for gameplay, and both games have great gameplay that's very different from each other. Splatoon may not have as many maps weapons or modes, but it's amount is enough thanks to it's core gameplay not only offering a unique and surprisingly deep n varied experience, but also how it makes every battIe exciting yet different from the last even when playing with the same map weapon and mode. I can easily see myself spending 100+ hours on Turf War alone.

Yea thats true and your way is quite a nice way of looking at things. But I guess we do evaluate our purchases differently like I look at stuff like the modes and the length of the single player and etc while you look at how many hours can u get from the game overall regardless of them. Like while I can excuse a lack of modes and stuff, there is a cutting off point for me for the price that I am paying. If Splatoon was $40/$50 cad, it would have been an instant buy but since it isn't and it had quite amount of urks for me, it wasn't a very good deal and I wasn't really all that confident in the length of the single player either.

And while I do understand the whole "online = tons of hours of play," that can be said for all games with online and its not like I dont have fun with cod or anything cause I do. But excusing splatoon while other shooters such as cod (as an example) offers me so much more (before this) just urks me cause of how I buy stuff if that makes any sense. I might have more fun with splatoon, sure but is that "bit more fun" worth the $70 price tag with my prior knowledge about the game with less of virtually everything in all fronts compared to say cod at launch other than the game being very unique? Not really for me (until this news). Which is why I cancelled my pre-order which now I shall uncancel because my confidence in the game has been restored.

So basically it's all about the number of modes to ya then, yet I know you bought MK8 since I've seen you playing it.

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Yea thats true and your way is quite a nice way of looking at things. But I guess we do evaluate our purchases differently like I look at stuff like the modes and the length of the single player and etc while you look at how many hours can u get from the game overall regardless of them. Like while I can excuse a lack of modes and stuff, there is a cutting off point for me for the price that I am paying. If Splatoon was $40/$50 cad, it would have been an instant buy but since it isn't and it had quite amount of urks for me, it wasn't a very good deal and I wasn't really all that confident in the length of the single player either.

And while I do understand the whole "online = tons of hours of play," that can be said for all games with online and its not like I dont have fun with cod or anything cause I do. But excusing splatoon while other shooters such as cod (as an example) offers me so much more (before this) just urks me cause of how I buy stuff if that makes any sense. I might have more fun with splatoon, sure but is that "bit more fun" worth the $70 price tag with my prior knowledge about the game with less of virtually everything in all fronts compared to say cod at launch other than the game being very unique? Not really for me (until this news). Which is why I cancelled my pre-order which now I shall uncancel because my confidence in the game has been restored.

So basically it's all about the number of modes to ya then, yet I know you bought MK8 since I've seen you playing it.

Neh, MK8 doesn't really have competition since there are hardly any kart racers like it and there hasn't been since forever. You can say that for splatoon too but splatoon so far has been an unproven concept (since it hasn't even launched yet) while MK franchise has been proven to deliver for many years and has been the leader in kart racing for many years hence why I am a bit more skeptical with new IPs in general like splatoon. Specially at that price with all the news/urks around it loll

Edit: Oh and MK also has a lot of maps and etc while splatoon is also missing those at launch :/

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

Neh, MK8 doesn't really have competition since there are hardly any kart racers like it and there hasn't been since forever. You can say that for splatoon too but splatoon so far has been an unproven concept (since it hasn't even launched yet) while MK franchise has been proven to deliver for many years and has been the leader in kart racing for many years hence why I am a bit more skeptical with new IPs in general like splatoon. Specially at that price with all the news/urks around it loll

Edit: Oh and MK also has a lot of maps and etc while splatoon is also missing those at launch :/

What does that have to with MK8's clear lack of modes? Splatoon will have atleast 6 different modes of play versus MK8's 1 and 1 half assed one. MK8 has to have more tracks due to it's inherent linearity. One Splatoon map essentially equals ten MK8 tracks as the former has many different ways to go about it while the latter only has one. Even if you didn't get in on the Testfire, pretty much everyone who's played it had nothing negative to say about the core gameplay, naturally as it has many similaritys to Smash and Kart, so I'd say it's concept is all but proven.

Could be worse, could be like Titan Fall or Destiny and not have a single player campaign.

I was hoping for at least 12 hours.....

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
Captain_Yuri said:

What does that have to with MK8's clear lack of modes? Splatoon will have atleast 6 different modes of play versus MK8's 1 and 1 half assed one. MK8 has to have more tracks due to it's inherent linearity. One Splatoon map essentially equals ten MK8 tracks as the former has many different ways to go about it while the latter only has one. Even if you didn't get in on the Testfire, pretty much everyone who's played it had nothing negative to say about the core gameplay, naturally as it has many similaritys to Smash and Kart, so I'd say it's concept is all but proven.

Well you can't really compare MK8 to Splatoon cause they are both in different genres... I compared Splatoon to Cod because they are in a Similar Genre (granted cod is fps and splatoon is tps but u get what I mean) all be it different play styles... And I did get into the Testfire twice but that doesn't prove me that the game is worth $70 apart from its "fun" aspect. I was in the beta for TitanFall (as an example) and I had fun but when it launched, thank god I didn't pre-order cause that game was no way worth a full retail price

Edit: Since when did splatoon have 6 modes? Or are u including local too?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
Well you can't really compare MK8 to Splatoon cause they are both in different genres... I compared Splatoon to Cod because they are in the Same Genre (granted cod is fps and splatoon is tps but u get what I mean) all be it different play styles... And I did get into the Testfire twice but that doesn't prove me that the game is worth $70 apart from its "fun" aspect. I was in the beta for TitanFall (as an example) and I had fun but when it launched, thank god I didn't pre-order cause that game was no way worth a full retail price

I am if we're gonna include MK8's battle mode. :L

I don't get what you mean actually, as CoD and Splatoon are not the same at all. That's kinda been my underlying point here, that this why they shouldn't be compared and the number of game modes is irrelevant because even with all the modes in the universe CoD will never be Splatoon and vice versa. The point I was highlighting by bringing up MK8 is that you bought it because of it's unique gameplay, not it's wide variety of modes lol.

Einsam_Delphin said:
Captain_Yuri said:
Well you can't really compare MK8 to Splatoon cause they are both in different genres... I compared Splatoon to Cod because they are in the Same Genre (granted cod is fps and splatoon is tps but u get what I mean) all be it different play styles... And I did get into the Testfire twice but that doesn't prove me that the game is worth $70 apart from its "fun" aspect. I was in the beta for TitanFall (as an example) and I had fun but when it launched, thank god I didn't pre-order cause that game was no way worth a full retail price

I am if we're gonna include MK8's battle mode. :L

I don't get what you mean actually, as CoD and Splatoon are not the same at all. That's kinda been my underlying point here, that this why they shouldn't be compared and the number of game modes is irrelevant because even with all the modes in the universe CoD will never be Splatoon and vice versa. The point I was highlighting by bringing up MK8 is that you bought it because of it's unique gameplay, not it's wide variety of modes lol.

I said same Genre... Like they are both shooters so I am comparing them cause a full retail priced shooter in 2015 should have similar amounts of stuff as Cod in order for me to buy it. It doesn't have to have as much as cod but it should be some what close enough but Splatoon has less than half of everything at launch which is where my issues lies. I don't get why I shouldn't compare it, just because its a different "style" of shooter doesn't mean its allowed to have less than half of the things in virtually every department at launch while making me pay full price... I didn't buy TitanFall cause of it, why should I let splatoon slide?

MK8 really shouldn't be compared with Splatoon cause when you look at other racers, they don't have that many modes for online just like MK8. Heck, even MK8 has tons of customization options in order for you to filter your play styles for online or with your friends which splatoon doesn't have. But again, they shouldn't be compared cause they are in different genres

I bought MK8 because it is the best kart racer there is... If there was/is a better kart racer than Mario Kart and it had more modes and stuff, I would certainly get that instead but the reality is, there isn't. Is splatoon the best shooter there is? Idk yet but since they are charging me $70 for it and it is missing sooooooooo many things that most shooters (like cod) that I bought have at launch (not post launch), it was a hard sell

Edited it slightly to make it more clear. 1:00 AM = half ZzZz

Fine with me, I'll spend many more hours replaying missions after completion anyway.

It took me 5-7 hours to beat the campaign of Ghosts, yet I've clocked around 75 hours on it.

Captain_Yuri said:

I said same Genre... Like they are both shooters so I am comparing them cause a full retail priced shooter in 2015 should have similar amounts of stuff as Cod in order for me to buy it. It doesn't have to have as much as cod but it should be some what close enough but Splatoon has less than half of everything at launch which is where my issues lies. I don't get why I shouldn't compare it, just because its a different "style" of shooter doesn't mean its allowed to have less than half of the things in virtually every department at launch while making me pay full price... I didn't buy TitanFall cause of it, why should I let splatoon slide?

MK8 really shouldn't be compared with Splatoon cause when you look at other racers, they don't have that many modes for online just like MK8. Heck, even MK8 has tons of customization options in order for you to filter your play styles for online or with your friends which splatoon doesn't have. But again, they shouldn't be compared cause they are in different genres

I bought MK8 because it is the best kart racer there is... If there was/is a better kart racer than Mario Kart and it had more modes and stuff, I would certainly get that instead but the reality is, there isn't. Is splatoon the best shooter there is? Idk yet but since they are charging me $70 for it and it is missing sooooooooo many things that most shooters (like cod) that I bought have at launch (not post launch), it was a hard sell

Edited it slightly to make it more clear. 1:00 AM = half ZzZz

I do not approve of the way you buy games lol, but obviously it's not my business to try and dictate what factors people use to determine which ones they get so I'll just drop this. What I will say though is that I really hope Nintendo isn't using that as an excuse to not make Mario Kart more fully featured instead of just relying on the same two modes like they have for the past 20 years.