By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

With PS3 being out for only 16 months. How will it compare to the PS2 in total sales. Assuming both PS2 and PS3 have the same life span - 10 years. Which console will sell the most consoles, most software, have the most million sellers. The PS2 is still selling well in its late stages of its life. PS3 having a slow start is beginning to pick up more sales in both software and hardware and it has won the format battle with Sony's Blu-Ray winning a no contest over Hd-DVD.

The PS2 has sold 120 million consoles in just over 7 years in its lifetime to now. The PS3 has sold almost 11 million consoles in 16 months.

Around the Network

PS3 won't have PS2 numbers, maybe 50-60% of what the PS2 will end up doing.

PS3 will get pwned by the PS2 hands down unless PS3 is given away with every Sony HDTV purchased. Which is never going to happen. I expect PS3 to reach 70 million consoles by end of its lifespan. With the PS4 arriving half way through its life span say 2011/12 the PS3 will crawl towards 70 million.

One thing that I like about the PS2, and don't like about the PS3:

Why does the PS3 scratch so easily! It looks so ugly! You have to view it at a dark distance, and it looks nice, but when you shine it to the light, the truth is revealed! I wish I could remove the scratches. Oh well...

halil23 said:
With the death of HD-DVD, I think blu ray will have a huge impact on PS3. PS3 will easily pass 80 mil, if not 100.

That is a bold prediction, i would wait until there is a significant sustained spike in PS3 sales before making that claim but it is possible.

Around the Network

I would buy a PS2 and a Wii before I even consider purchasing a PS3.
Three years time PS3 install will be over 50 million consoles and there will be even better games around and PS3 will be achieving its full potential.

Ps2 has outsold the PS3 by 3.3 million since the PS3 launch the 360 has outsold the PS3 by 1.1 million in the same time period since the PS3 launch a few more price cuts by all and nintendo will buy the world and everything will be all mario!

PS2/4 = PS3

Thats being quite generous to the PS3.

actually
PS2/(2/3) = PS3

You really think the PS3 will reach ~90M?

Not a chance. It won't reach 50.