By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Music in Xenoblade Chronicles X SUCKS! (at least some times)

Tagged games:

I don't mind the vocal tracks. The rapping makes me think of the dorm in Persona 3. But I guess the argument could be made that the setting in XCX is very different than in Persona. Depends on the persons taste I suppose. But it does feel odd having this sort of music in a game of this setting. But I dont mind it.

Around the Network
DakonBlackblade said:

They shouldve gone with a soundtrack by the genious that is Yoko Shimomura again, instead of trying a new song styl and hiring differeng composer from Xenoblade Chronicles.

The vocals are terribad, I take music in videogames very serious. This alone is reason to not me want to buy a game. I mean I was on the fance with Skyrim and bought it cause of Dovakin...

DanneSandin said:

Only composer I know by name is Koji Kondo :P

XC had really good music, didn't hear a single tune I hated.

XC is by ACE+ and Yoko Shimomura, Yoko is a genious this guy is tripping. She is the composer on XC and the Kingdom Heart series. Ye she uses violins a lot, so what ? They sound awesome and epic. They shouldve had her back on X instead of using bad techno rap guy who never composed for videogames.

Agreed

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DakonBlackblade said:
b00moscone said:

You're ignoring some of the things i'm saying -___-

Firstly, it is your own opinion that it doesn't get you pumped for battle, but your opinion is not fact, so don't act like it is.

And again, by my understanding, it is not the only music that plays while in-battle, and if you want to see how it sounds while in battle, take a look at the Treehouse footage.

And again, you can't listen to 4 songs of a game that had 4 CDs worth of music and say that all of its music is bad, so they aren't all bad and the game won't suck as a result.

The emotions a song evoke is not opinion, sound activate specific parts of your brain and evoke a certain emotion depending on its pitch, note, frequency etc. If its tonaly off its tonaly off, you wont feel fear for instance if youre listening to a Beyonce song (unless you somehow have some sort of childhood trauma related to Beyonce lol), so if you, for example, put Beyonce to play during a Resident Evil jump scare moment its tonaly off, visual cue says fear, sound cue says dance and be happy. Actualy, sounds/songs are amongst the strongest intruments for evoking emotions, if you play a game or watch a movie without sounds you do not feel nearly as much emotional impact. Thats a fact not opinion, its proven scientific research stuf. Liking how the song sounds is totaly opinion based tough the emotions it evokes arent.

The best composers greatest prowess is how they manage to manipulate the listeners emotions with a few tunes. Hear Satalaolas soundtrack for The Last of Us for example and you feel the emotional impact of the game without even seeing the scenes or reading the characters lines. His songs are super minimalistic in that game but they touch the exact spots in your brain to activate all the right areas and make you feel the right emotion on the correct time, thats what beeing tonaly on means. This battle song does none of that.

It actually IS. Since people are different, different things will affect them differently. Some people will read a sad story and cry, others won't. Some will see something as very happy, and others will find it over the top. Some scare, others funny. The same goes for music. Some people find metal pumps people up, others rap does it for them, others 'epic' music, others classical, and others still very strong vocals. Pop music puts me to sleep in lots of cases, depending on my mood, but for many it means the party is starting. 

Emotions are very strongly connected to someones mood and even outlook so they are not the same for everyone by any means. You are correct in saying that songs can affect different parts of your brain and release seratonin and other chemicals that can affect your mood, but it isn't the same for everyone, if that were the case there would be no need for different genre's of music. 

None of it is tonally off. It is all on tone and fits with the music it has been designed for. None of the pitch or key is off at all, so no, it is not tonally off. If it doesn't work for YOU, that is fine, but it might work for many others. As for Beyonce, if it is done correctly any music can fit almost any scenario but some come easier to different situations than others. This beyonce song could very well lend itself to a scary situation 

ACK!

Also, some songs that have a slower pace and be a great setup for a scare moment and will likely put people on edge because it puts them in a comfort zone then messes with that. Nice, calm, serene and BAM you just shat yourself.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

b00moscone said:
Apples and Oranges.

You can't really say that XCX music sucks, and then sneak in a 'sometimes', make up your mind! :P

As for the music, on their own, they are great tracks in my opinion, but perhaps they might not fit into where they are placed, I think this is apparent with the first track.

But seriously, you pick like four tracks from a game that has FOUR CDs worth of music of which you think are bad and automatically the whole music for the game is bad? If you want to come to an actual conclusion, then listen to all the tracks, but I doubt most of them are bad.

I snuck in tht "sometimes" becuase the soundtrack isn't ALL bad, just these songs I've posted, and maybe a few others. I overexaggerated the thread title ^^

The game has quite a few really good songs, but I'd rather have ALL the songs being mediocre than have some being really good and others being bad and ripping me out of my experience.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Boutros said:
bigtakilla said:
DanneSandin said:

But the music in Xenoblade Chronicles was sooo good! What happened here? =(

Opinions happened. There are two of those songs I find annoying, the others aren't bad. Still better than the Final Fantasy XIII soundtrack at least (even the songs here). 

Honestly even the weakest FFXIII music is better than most songs in the OP...

I have to agree, the soundtrack of FFXIII was what i most enjoyed about that game besides the visuals. It was just beautiful :)

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
b00moscone said:
Apples and Oranges.

You can't really say that XCX music sucks, and then sneak in a 'sometimes', make up your mind! :P

As for the music, on their own, they are great tracks in my opinion, but perhaps they might not fit into where they are placed, I think this is apparent with the first track.

But seriously, you pick like four tracks from a game that has FOUR CDs worth of music of which you think are bad and automatically the whole music for the game is bad? If you want to come to an actual conclusion, then listen to all the tracks, but I doubt most of them are bad.

I snuck in tht "sometimes" becuase the soundtrack isn't ALL bad, just these songs I've posted, and maybe a few others. I overexaggerated the thread title ^^

The game has quite a few really good songs, but I'd rather have ALL the songs being mediocre than have some being really good and others being bad and ripping me out of my experience.

Again, it's your personal opinion that not all the songs are at least mediocre. Each one you put up I actually quite enjoy, the least of is just fine. There might be others that you find great that I don't really dig. Like the main theme song really doesn't do it for me at all, but it's not that big of a deal. Worst case scenario if I were to really not enjoy the soundtrack I can always turn it down and put my own music on and make sure the subtitles are on.

Dusk said:
DanneSandin said:

Again, it's your personal opinion that not all the songs are at least mediocre. Each one you put up I actually quite enjoy, the least of is just fine. There might be others that you find great that I don't really dig. Like the main theme song really doesn't do it for me at all, but it's not that big of a deal. Worst case scenario if I were to really not enjoy the soundtrack I can always turn it down and put my own music on and make sure the subtitles are on.

he's still entitled to that opinion, ffs other than actual numbers most of anything on these forums are based on personal opinion. Personal opinion is open to debate but people are still entitled to say that rap songs in videogames suck. Put it in the opening or in the credits, even a boss fight theme is acceptable but in the gameplay environment it overpowers ambience.

Games good, music is awful because those few shitty ones happen to be the most commonly played ones.

Spare me the knee jerk reaction, I've played and completed the game.

rutea7 said:
Dusk said:
DanneSandin said:

he's still entitled to that opinion, ffs other than actual numbers most of anything on these forums are based on personal opinion. Personal opinion is open to debate but people are still entitled to say that rap songs in videogames suck. Put it in the opening or in the credits, even a boss fight theme is acceptable but in the gameplay environment it overpowers ambience.

Absolutely he is. Just as I am, or you are, however the point where we say it is fact is when it goes too far. I mean, he of course could say he doesn't like the soundtrack and that it sucks, that's fine as long as it isn't stated as if it isn't opinion based. I get that many don't like putting "IMO" or "in my opinion" as for some reason it seems to be viewed as being less important, but it is still what it is. Of course there is also the insinuation that since someone has posted something online that it is almost always based on opinion unless it's stated as factual lol. The problem is when there is an argument stating that someones opinion is more important than anothers as opposed to someone saying, 'that's your opinion' the reply should be something along the lines of 'yup, it is'. Not to mention he undermines his own statement with "at least some times" as oppposed to 'Some of the music in XCX sucks' as the full title. 

It might overpower the ambience for some, but not for others, likely relating to how comfortable someone is with rap in general. Same sort of thing with operatic music that is often in JRPG's, it doesn't do it for everyone however it seems to be more accepted now because it has become the norm. Same goes for orchestral. 

Tamron said:
Games good, music is awful because those few shitty ones happen to be the most commonly played ones.

Spare me the knee jerk reaction, I've played and completed the game.

You completed XCX already? How much spare time do you have? It has only been out for two weeks in Japan!