By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate / 3DS Question

Does anyone here play MH4U and if so do you recommend it?  I played Monster Hunter Tri to death on the Wii and absolutely loved it but I am hesitant to invest in a handheld for a number of reasons:

-I'm really only interested in a few 3DS games (MH4U, Luigis Mansion, Zelda)

-I haven't owned a handheld since the gameboy color (I feel old) and I'm not a fan of mobile games

-The controls (hear the circle pad pro makes it a much better experience)

-Cost, I would probably get an XL or the newest model.  Does the newest model get a graphical advantage?

----Estimating $200 for the 3DS, $40 for MH4U, and $25 for circle pro pad = $265 + tax... not sure if one game is worth that much money :(

On a side note does anyone have concrete evidence that this will be released for console in the future?

Around the Network

The new 3DS is 200$ and has a second stick so no need for the Circle Pad Pro. It also has significantly better 3D, slightly better graphics in MH4, shorter load times and exclusive software (such as Xenoblade Chronicles 3D).

Also, there a quite a few 3DS games that are worth playing. I'd definitely say its worth it...even moreso since you never had a DS. The combination of both libraries make this probably one of the best gaming purchases possible.

sundin13 said:
The new 3DS is 200$ and has a second stick so no need for the Circle Pad Pro. It also has significantly better 3D, slightly better graphics in MH4, shorter load times and exclusive software (such as Xenoblade Chronicles 3D).

Also, there a quite a few 3DS games that are worth playing. I'd definitely say its worth it...even moreso since you never had a DS. The combination of both libraries make this probably one of the best gaming purchases possible.

I've read that its not as comfortable as the add on.

I forgot about the backwards compatibility.  Thanks for the reminder.

I havent play MH Tri on wii but for me the control form MH 4 Ultimate is better than MH 3 for 3ds and Wii u.

mtu9356 said:
sundin13 said:

Where did you read that? For games like Monster Hunter it works fine. It wouldn't be good for a FPS which needs extremely fine camera control, but you don't typically play many FPS on the 3DS.

Also, you would have to hunt down an original 3DS if you wanted to use the Circle Pad Pro. I think they have been discontinued, but if you wanted to hunt a used one down, you could probably get it for around 100$ or less. New 3DS is definitely the way to go though.

Finally, if you are willing to buy online, it should be pretty easy to find somewhere that doesn't charge tax or shipping (assuming you are from the USA).

Around the Network

I really enjoyed MH3 and MH3U, but like you was hesitant to get into MH4U. But I got it and did have fun but with some irks.

To answer your questions
- If you are only interested in a few games then probably wait longer, there will always be a price drop and new bundle. The only thing you would miss out on it playing online with a mass load of people.

-Again if you are not a fan of handhelds then that may sour your enjoyment. I like the 3DS but it took time to like (mainly to get used to a 6-7 hour battery life which I loathe).

- The controls are the same as MH3 but somehow feel differently. The monster lock on camera is really useful (was in MH3U too) while the circle nub helps a little bit but not a whole lot. I mainly used the camera stick just for gathering to watch my back.

- The cost is definitely an issue, the game doesnt need to be played on the New 3DS but it does load a little faster and has slightly enhanced details, such as shadows.

There is no concrete evidence that it wont be on other consoles apart from knowing it is Capcom and they will always find a way to not spend money if they dont have to.

To me the game is good, lots more monsters, weapons, more involving solo story, simpler online (although no mid-hunt voice or text chat is very lame). Its just the controls feel a little off (not bad) and the game is much harder than MH3 or MH3U.

I am sure you will enjoy it immensely but if money is tight you can always wait a little bit longer. Who knows, E3 might have something.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

sundin13 said:
mtu9356 said:

Where did you read that? For games like Monster Hunter it works fine. It wouldn't be good for a FPS which needs extremely fine camera control, but you don't typically play many FPS on the 3DS.

Also, you would have to hunt down an original 3DS if you wanted to use the Circle Pad Pro. I think they have been discontinued, but if you wanted to hunt a used one down, you could probably get it for around 100$ or less. New 3DS is definitely the way to go though.

Finally, if you are willing to buy online, it should be pretty easy to find somewhere that doesn't charge tax or shipping (assuming you are from the USA).

Looks like the New 3ds Xl isn't compatible but the original version does.  I read somewhere that people's hands cramped up using the small joystick (c stick?)

Usually things are tax free on amazon, but elsewhere they have started charging state tax.  Amazon may be the way to go.

mtu9356 said:

Looks like the New 3ds Xl isn't compatible but the original version does.  I read somewhere that people's hands cramped up using the small joystick (c stick?)

Usually things are tax free on amazon, but elsewhere they have started charging state tax.  Amazon may be the way to go.

Amazon doesn't sell Nintendo hardware. I'd recommend Fry's...they have free shipping and no tax.

If you are getting a new 3DS, make sure to get an AC adapter too.

Maraccuda said:
I really enjoyed MH3 and MH3U, but like you was hesitant to get into MH4U. But I got it and did have fun but with some irks.

To answer your questions
- If you are only interested in a few games then probably wait longer, there will always be a price drop and new bundle. The only thing you would miss out on it playing online with a mass load of people.

-Again if you are not a fan of handhelds then that may sour your enjoyment. I like the 3DS but it took time to like (mainly to get used to a 6-7 hour battery life which I loathe).

- The controls are the same as MH3 but somehow feel differently. The monster lock on camera is really useful (was in MH3U too) while the circle nub helps a little bit but not a whole lot. I mainly used the camera stick just for gathering to watch my back.

- The cost is definitely an issue, the game doesnt need to be played on the New 3DS but it does load a little faster and has slightly enhanced details, such as shadows.

There is no concrete evidence that it wont be on other consoles apart from knowing it is Capcom and they will always find a way to not spend money if they dont have to.

To me the game is good, lots more monsters, weapons, more involving solo story, simpler online (although no mid-hunt voice or text chat is very lame). Its just the controls feel a little off (not bad) and the game is much harder than MH3 or MH3U.

I am sure you will enjoy it immensely but if money is tight you can always wait a little bit longer. Who knows, E3 might have something.

I was looking for a MH4U bundle but couldn't find one.  Have they offered one in the past?  E3 may be a good time to look again.

I don't understand why they don't make a MH for console, its infuriating. 

How big of a difference is there between the 3DS XL and and the New 3DS XL?

mtu9356 said:

How big of a difference is there between the 3DS XL and and the New 3DS XL?

First of all, how much do you care about 3D? With the new 3DS, they improved it significantly so it actually tracks your head meaning it doesn't go out of focus like the older models did. Additionally, the new 3DS has exclusive software (so far only Xenoblade Chronicles 3D), better load times and better graphics in some games. Finally, the 3DS XL is not compatible with the Circle Pad Pro, so you would have to live with a single stick if you went with that model (imo, the single stick works fine, but to each his own)