By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Super Smash Bros Brawl sells over 1.25 million copies on day 1

You can't compare halo 3, ssbb and mgs 4 in what? Sales?

"Why isn't samus in a mario kart game?"

Around the Network

But while were at it does that mean POKEMON Yellow is the best game ever because it sold the most?????

1. Pokemon Yellow is not the best selling game ever. Far from it, Pokemon Red/Blue sold more than double of it. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas also outsold it, if my memory serves me right. Several other games have also outsold it.

2. Why are you saying Pokemon capitalized? Because you think it's a bad franchise? Well shocking, 15M people + don't.

3. I hope you realize what site you joined, we're talking sales mainly. Not to be rude, but for talking about game quality only, and not being interested in sales, you should go to another site.

4. You can't take out a territory for sales. Then you would have to take out both America and Japan, and suddenly PC would be the biggest gaming machine.

5. Halo 1's first week in USA can't have been higer than 625K, as it launched toghether with XB, and XB sold 625K in its first week. SSBB in Japan only probably outsold Halo: CE in Europe + USA.

6. Buying Japaneese games doesn't inflict a lot on their economy. It's much more plausible that they do it because Japaneese developers make games Japaneese people want.

7. Sorry if I sounded harsh on you. I'm throwing up and home from school, I should probably have been in bed, so I apologize.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

just to point this out, pokemon yellow is kind of the same game as red green and blue, it just lets you use pikachu as your starting pokemon and lets you have the other 3 ones throughout the game, a few changes like the ability of pikachu to use surf and a surfing minigame are probably the only other differences...

so i Think pokemon has surpassed super mario bros as the best selling game of all time with 46 million in ocmparison to the 40 million of SMB... enlightening

Isn't Final Fantasy pretty much the same game with different characters though?

I can't beleive people act as if they're surprised. Didn't melee sell cose to 4 Million Domestically? Put on top of that the INCREDIBLE amount of hype. Anything less than 1 mil in first week is dissapointing. Even with Wii's current userbase.

---

Around the Network

The funny thing about this is out of Nintendo's heavy hitters, I have seen BY FAR the most commercial advertising for Brawl on television, coincedence?

I dunno, outside of the Metroid channel I only saw 2 or 3 commercials for Prime, 2 (no joke and my gf watches TONS of television) for Galaxy, none for Zelda or Paper Mario, and a whopping 6 (over the last fourdays) for Brawl?!?!?!

But it worked, my gf who's pry the most casual gamer in terms of games and dosage (can only play for a half hour to an hour), and has NEVER played Brawl, is all about it. From the moment she tried it out and saw the "cutesy" characters she was hooked. She now is always asking me to play a match or team-up and plays it with her girls when I'm not home. These are fabric, artsy major girls in college all geeking out over Brawl. Plus my girl got really good with MetaKnight.

Amazing Nintendo, simply amazing.

www.talkxbox.com - It is what it is!

Lord_Yggdrassil said:
I can't beleive people act as if they're surprised. Didn't melee sell cose to 4 Million Domestically? Put on top of that the INCREDIBLE amount of hype. Anything less than 1 mil in first week is dissapointing. Even with Wii's current userbase.
personally, though I would expect much more than 1 million domestically for the launch, but less than one million isn't that dissapointing. Remember - those 4 million were lifetime - not in one week. Everybody has such high expectations and 1 million is certainly not dissapointing for any game. I guess all the hype leads to such high expectations. But as for me, I expect 2 million first week!

I see a lot more commercials for Army of Two than I do of all the Wii commercials put together.

FishyJoe said:
I see a lot more commercials for Army of Two than I do of all the Wii commercials put together.

Not surprising considering that Microsoft and Sony seem to pump money into marketing and Nintendo seems to treat marketing (at least on tv, and maybe print as well?) like it's some cryptic form of communication.

I only wonder where they'd actually be if they actually put a bit more effort into marketing their games.

Seems to me they're like, Metroid, Mario, Zelda, etc.  People are going to buy a couple million <i>regardless</i> let's save a couple bucks and NOT market our games!

www.talkxbox.com - It is what it is!

tehsage said:
Isn't Final Fantasy pretty much the same game with different characters though?

Are you joking? FF games share the same name. That's it. Different characters and different stories...none of which are related. Meaning if you disliked one FF game, doesn't mean you will dislike all of them. Unless you hate JRPG's...in which is a different issue.

---