By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon Global Testfire - Your First Impressions?

What do you think of Splatoon so far?

Perfect! 66 39.76%

Great 67 40.36%

Decent 23 13.86%

Mediocre 5 3.01%

Terrible 5 3.01%

Total:166

This game is a lot of fun so far. Gyro controls are well implemented but I still lean towards traditional full analog control. This is a great 3rd person shooter and I am tempted to wake up early to play another hour. I think that this game will sell quite well.

By the way... light green rollers all day ;)

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

Around the Network
Wildcard36qs said:
Ultravolt said:

I thought it was great! I was amazed by how the game runs and plays so smoothly. One thing that I hope is in the full version is the ability to change the controls, so that you don't have to use motion controls to control the camera. Other than that, it was so great!

Going to be playing again tomorrow!

Since many missed this: on the screen where you select weapon, press the + to go the the control menu.

Oh ok! I knew there had to be some way. Thanks for letting me know! I'll be sure to remember that for tomorrow :D

It was pretty awesome, had a lot of fun with the roller. Hated gyro controls though, kept running into walls then getting killed.

mZuzek said:
Samus Aran said:

Snipers won't be bad during Splatzone and the Tower defense game.

I imagined they could be good at other game modes, but for turf war they just plain out suck.

Yeah, I already figured that out before this demo actually. :p 

mZuzek said:
Wildcard36qs said:
Did anyone have connectivity issues? Curious to see if people were unable to play or did Nintendo impossibly overcome 1st day server issues that plague every other online game.

That's the most unbelievable part. My connection has been absolute crap today and even though it got a bit more decent a bit before the demo started, it was still bad... and yet I got absolutely no lag, no disconnects, no errors, no anything. It was flawless!

Man... I hate you. A real clusterfuck over here. 30 seconds in, I get disconnected. Took very long to find matches. And the one and only full match I played was filled with lag and me sucking.

Real impressions:

1. Should've had the option to change controls from the beginning. 

2. Useless timer during match-searching. The match automatically starts when there are 8 players, and if there aren't 8 players the timer resets. Wtf?

3. During match searching, the only way to quit is by turning off your console. Really?

4. (More personal) There should've been a way to test your weapon before the match started. I didn't know how to use the roller until the others were already ahead of me.

Interesting game. If running/walking speed was a bit faster, just the tutorial would be a good excuse to use the demo.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network
HylianYoshi said:
I actually like the gyro controls here. Of course I still prefer analog sticks, but I wouldn't mind playing with gyro if I had to. I got to play close to 20 matches. I was already set on buying Splatoon, but this just made it a must have for me. My favorite weapon was probably the roller, even if it is a tad bit overpowered in some respects.

Yep, it was already day one for me, bit i was going to buy it in the afternoon.

But! After this demo, it made me want to sleep early on the day before, then wake up early in the morning, take the bus ( not waiting for my dad)  and buy the game!  

Pocky Lover Boy! 

I struggled a little with the controls. I hate dual stick, but I don't see why the option to have both motion and proper dual stick (with vertical movement) at the same time isn't there. Rollers are a little overpowered. I found it very easy to win duels with people with rollers after a few games practice, but they can cover the floor so quickly. I don't really know how you nerf them but they need a little nerfing.

wolflink said:

It was fun
but it needs another kind of controls
the gyro is good
but this could be some great great game with two sticks control option

And the roller needs to be adjusted very unbalanced matches

I didn't mind the gamepad once i got use to it, but honestly the wiimote and nunchuck would thrive on this game imo.

Another thing i loved is how gravity affects projectiles. I managed to kill a guy in cover with that and another one who was on lower ground.

t3mporary_126 said:

I actually thought the second screen was pretty useful for planning where you should go and who needs back up. I did die a lot though so I had more time to look at it lol.

The only time I really used it was when respawning. Looking down at a map in a game where you can die in literally less than a second is just not a smart way to design a game. It'd be different if it could be used periferally, but it can't, because there's no pro controller support. Not in the demo, at least.