By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Safe to say the WiiU is worst selling Nintendo home console of all time.

padib said:
Yakuzaice said:

Just listing their total sales and release dates is kind of misleading.  A lot of those games went on to sell a large portion of their LTD after their sequels came out.  Carnival games especially did about half its LTD after mini-golf came out.  The Deca Sports (Wii) franchise sold 1.46m in 2008, 1.11m in 2009, 545k in 2010.  It was a decline certainly, but not as extreme as it looks from just looking at the LTD of each game.

If you applied your same process to the list of successful Nintendo software you'd be saying at launch Wii Sports was able to sell 82.42m, but just three years later at the height of the Wii's success it had declined by more than half.  Which obviously doesn't tell the whole story.

In general companies had a tough time finding continued success in iteration on the Wii U.  The major exceptions are Just Dance and Wii Fit.  Wii Fit Plus had the advantage of being very cheap for people who already had a balance board.  Also, distribution of the original Wii Fit pretty much stopped after the release of Plus.  If it had still been widely available, or even discounted, the sales between the two would probably be much more uneven.

Wii Sports, Mario Party, Zelda, Galaxy, Wii Play, PokePark, Excite__, and a whole host of third party games failed to live up to sales of their original Wii release.  Realitically, the same would have happened to Mario Kart, NSMB, Smash, etc if they had sequels releasing later in the Wii's life.   Especially if they were later than 2010.  The only post 2010 Wii games to crack the top 25 are Just Dance games.

The same phenomenon of decreased sales for the sequels certainly applies to Nintendo, but on a scale roughly 30x greater.

So I don't think it's misleading. The curves exist on all titles, the amplitude of those curves is what is incomparable.

why are there even downward curves at ALL on that system? the only game that actually increased way Raving Rabbids if im not mistaken. Compare to the competition there libraries are much more even in that regard. As sequels do better half the time. (COD, AC just off the top of my head)

Around the Network
oniyide said:
KLXVER said:

Thanks for the explanation as to why...

people arent spending hundreds of dollars to NOT play games. I dotn know why i even have to explain that, look at the software sales for the current gen, its not too shabby at least as far as PS4 and xone goes. Hell even the remasters are selling

People spend money on anything. The fact that the WiiU is selling so poorly kinda shows that games is not the main reason.

KLXVER said:

People spend money on anything. The fact that the WiiU is selling so poorly kinda shows that games is not the main reason.

What is?

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

SubiyaCryolite said:
KLXVER said:

What is?

Loyalty...

KLXVER said:
SubiyaCryolite said:

What is?

Loyalty...

Riiiight

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network
SubiyaCryolite said:
KLXVER said:

Loyalty...

Riiiight

Wroooong

SubiyaCryolite said:
KLXVER said:

Loyalty...

Riiiight

LOL man ANY excuse will do. Where are those 100 mil plus Wii owners then? LOL it has to be a joke

oniyide said:
SubiyaCryolite said:

Riiiight

LOL man ANY excuse will do. Where are those 100 mil plus Wii owners then? LOL it has to be a joke

About 80 million of them where casuals who didnt buy the PS4 or XB1 either.

I dont know what the reason for the failure of the WiiU is. The controller? The weaker hardware? The image? Only thing I know is thats its clearly not the games...

KLXVER said:
oniyide said:

I dont know what the reason for the failure of the WiiU is. The controller? The weaker hardware? The image? Only thing I know is thats its clearly not the games...

NINTENDO PLATFORM TOTALS

NES - 61.91

SNES - 49.10 

N64 - 32.93

GC - 21.74

Wii - 101.17 (Historic Accident)

Wii U - 9.42

Numbers dont lie, the tendency keeps happening. Sales goes down Generation after Generation. Wii doesnt count for obvious reasons.

AEGRO said:
KLXVER said:

NINTENDO PLATFORM TOTALS

NES - 61.91

SNES - 49.10 

N64 - 32.93

GC - 21.74

Wii - 101.17 (Historic Accident)

Wii U - 9.42

Numbers dont lie, the tendency keeps happening. Sales goes down Generation after Generation. Wii doesnt count for obvious reasons.

Its pretty sad. Hope Nintendo continues to make consoles though. Just the thought of an industry without them makes me depressed.