By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Safe to say the WiiU is worst selling Nintendo home console of all time.

padib said:
oniyide said:

sure wasnt, I'd say those shovelware games helped

Yup, must've been the shovelware.

Hey, the Wii wasn't that easy to develop for gameplay wise. People who were marketing saw it as a cheap opportunity for a cash grab which was what the Wii invited (even though some great games could've potentially been made for it as well. Question is...if the were would they sell?). People had to turn from making standard games to motion controls. The amount of risk it takes to have a good library with a new concept like that is quite a risk. Nintendo tends to develop consoles primarily for their own interests. Luckily not all third party was shovelware. Nintendo should've made a console that third parties dont have to adapt to, but could still port games people know and love whilst allowing themselves to fly free and comission other companies to develop, while at the same time using the motion controls (as it did) as a compelling argument for non-gamers to get in on the fun. Powerwise the Wii was better off competing against the PS2, but then again....probably not because giving that type of power too early on its too costly to Nintendo with their mindset. We need Nintendo in our lives as a gaming community, but this is just for the sanctity of third party harmony with their second and first party.

Just Dance sold quite well to the community.

Around the Network

No, NX isn't out yet.

PS, PS2, Gameboy Advance, PS3, PSP, PS4, Xbox One

S.T.A.G.E. said:
padib said:
oniyide said:

sure wasnt, I'd say those shovelware games helped

Yup, must've been the shovelware.

Hey, the Wii wasn't that easy to develop for gameplay wise. People who were marketing saw it as a cheap opportunity for a cash grab which was what the Wii invited (even though some great games could've potentially been made for it as well. Question is...if the were would they sell?). People had to turn from making standard games to motion controls. The amount of risk it takes to have a good library with a new concept like that is quite a risk. Nintendo tends to develop consoles primarily for their own interests. Luckily not all third party was shovelware. Nintendo should've made a console that third parties dont have to adapt to, but could still port games people know and love whilst allowing themselves to fly free and comission other companies to develop, while at the same time using the motion controls (as it did) as a compelling argument for non-gamers to get in on the fun. Powerwise the Wii was better off competing against the PS2, but then again....probably not because giving that type of power too early on its too costly to Nintendo with their mindset. We need Nintendo in our lives as a gaming community, but this is just for the sanctity of third party harmony with their second and first party.

Just Dance sold quite well to the community.

you could add Zumba, Deca Sports, Carnival Games, etc. to that list but people on here seem to ignore those for some reason

padib said:
oniyide said:

you could add Zumba, Deca Sports, Carnival Games, etc. to that list but people on here seem to ignore those for some reason

Nobody's ignoring them, they just aren't what S.T.A.G.E. was referring to in the first place. He wants traditional multiplats (COD, Mortal Combat, Street Fighter, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania, Assassin's Creed, Battlefield, etc. etc.) on Nintendo consoles because that's the Nintendo he once loved when he was younger. I'm trying to show him that it's not what makes Nintendo successful, and Just Dance really doesn't disprove it.

To be fair, you cant really say that without any hard proof. Thing is they were getting traditional multiplats way back when as you said and they WERE successful, are you really going to sit there and say those games did NOT contribute to the success of those consoles? You would be wrong, i would say that N64 took a nose dive BECAUSE it was no longer getting those games and when they were it was much later than the comp.

Now that might not be the case anymore, but my original point was that Ninty consoles that are successful did have quite a bunch of 3rd party support, whether that be traditional, shovelware or whatever is irrelevant. Games like Just Dance prove that it did help the system, hell its the only thing that kept selling even to this day

padib said:
oniyide said:

To be fair, you cant really say that without any hard proof. Thing is they were getting traditional multiplats way back when as you said and they WERE successful, are you really going to sit there and say those games did NOT contribute to the success of those consoles? You would be wrong, i would say that N64 took a nose dive BECAUSE it was no longer getting those games and when they were it was much later than the comp.

Now that might not be the case anymore, but my original point was that Ninty consoles that are successful did have quite a bunch of 3rd party support, whether that be traditional, shovelware or whatever is irrelevant. Games like Just Dance prove that it did help the system, hell its the only thing that kept selling even to this day

Like I said though, the Wii success preceded Just Dance's success, and Nintendo was selling gangbusters much before 3rd parties caught on to the craze. (obviously they had a head start) The first Just Dance released in November 2009, 3 years after the launch of the Wii. 3 years after Wii sports, Wii Play, 2 years after Super Mario Galaxy, 3 years after Twilight Princess.

I realize that the Wii was lightning in a bottle, but I've said this before and I need to repeat it, Nintendo is capable of selling a lot of games and a lot of consoles on their own merits. 3rd parties are helpful but again they are icing on the cake. The Wii was made successful first and foremost by Nintendo, the timing of the releases shows it, the same can be said about the DS, the 3DS (and MH was exclusive),  and even the N64 was supported throughout primarily by Rare and Nintendo, in this case 1st and 2nd party studios. 3rd parties had all jumped ship to the PS, yet the N64 still remained the main competition to Sony.

Even the NES was a success first and foremost due to Super Mario Bros., in its very beginnings, that and Tetris, two exclusives.

So, again 3rd parties sure help solidify Nintendo (like I said total obliteration, PS2-style, DS-Style), but Nintendo makes Nintendo (Nintendomination), which is how I phrased it in my reply to S.T.A.G.E.

There were a ton of 3rd party games released at the beginning, Jillian Micheals came out prior to Just Dance, as did Carnival Games and Deca Sports all sold well. 

Can you clarify own merits? Because ill say it again and i think numbers will back me up, Wii did as well as it did because of the motion controls moreso than anything else. One cant say Ninty games, when the prior console sold so bad and the current one is doing even worse. N64 got trounced by PS by the way it was the main competition because it was the ONLY competition, Sega screwed themselves out of the race.

Around the Network
oniyide said:

There were a ton of 3rd party games released at the beginning, Jillian Micheals came out prior to Just Dance, as did Carnival Games and Deca Sports all sold well. 

Can you clarify own merits? Because ill say it again and i think numbers will back me up, Wii did as well as it did because of the motion controls moreso than anything else. One cant say Ninty games, when the prior console sold so bad and the current one is doing even worse. N64 got trounced by PS by the way it was the main competition because it was the ONLY competition, Sega screwed themselves out of the race.

Wii Sports is the biggest reason why the Wii sold so well.

KLXVER said:
oniyide said:

if Wii sports wasnt a motion controlled game no one would have cared, you cant really seperate the two. 

oniyide said:
KLXVER said:

if Wii sports wasnt a motion controlled game no one would have cared, you cant really seperate the two. 

Sure. It was the game that sold many people on the motion controls though...

KLXVER said:
oniyide said:

of course...i dontsee how either of us are wrong here really. It was the perfect marriage.  BUT it is interesting to see how poorly that franchise is now faring on WIi U, so either people got tired of motion controls or that game in particular

oniyide said:
KLXVER said:

of course...i dontsee how either of us are wrong here really. It was the perfect marriage.  BUT it is interesting to see how poorly that franchise is now faring on WIi U, so either people got tired of motion controls or that game in particular

Some of them had enough after that game and some are satisfied with still playing it.