By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Safe to say the WiiU is worst selling Nintendo home console of all time.

radha said:
KLXVER said:

That just seems like you are saying that the PS4 and XB1 are basically the same...

They are mutually exclusive, only nintendo is complementary, so yes they are almost the same.

So having a PS4, its better to get a WiiU than a XB1...

Around the Network
Nem said:

Yes, i have. What they are gaining is simply consumer trust. The thing that led to the downfall of SEGA. Purchasers of their next system will have the confidence to buy it without thinking a new one will come out in a couple of years if this one doesnt sell well aswell. Its extremely dangerous and nukes your important early adopter segment.

Whats worse? Taking a few software development losses or not beeing able to sell ypur next system?

I did not sugest that Nintendo ignore the US, but it is obvious that Nintendo's competitive strengths are in Japan. Their portable consoles are their strong point and they wish to have a broad appeal to all segments. Currently the 3rd party AAA market is aimed at the bro audience and spreads horrid practices in game content, day one DLC, microtransactions after paying a premium, etc. Its filled with horror stories that wuld stain the Nintendo family friendly image they are so protective of. Therefore, i dont think they are willing to go to any lengths to get that 3rd party support and will instead adopt a strategy that will allow them to have a position of strength in the market in wich the 3rd parties will have to submit to.

So, moving on from one mistake to the other is definitly not something they should foster. Appeasing the AAA 3rd party will be nigh impossible. What you sugest is they fight an uphill battle like Sony has, but they dont have the momentum Sony did with 2 gen leads in a row to go into that. Keep in mind that they will keep japanese 3rd party suppoet though. That one i tink falls in line with their objectives.

Also, you are sugesting they try to appeal solely to the same audience Sony and Microsoft already have on lock-down. How would Nintendo appeal to that audience? What would they offer that would be irresistable to that audience in comparison to the competition? Certainly not Mario games. This wold require a dramatic shift of focus from the company software to go and compete in a space with 2 already wellestablishes competitors. No, Nintendo cant go head on in there. They have to side-step and offer somthing the competition doesnt. They can't focus solely on the "mature" gamer.

Rushing into that race would only lead Nintendo to big losses in earnings and consumer trust. They simply dont have the arguments to fight that head-on battle you think they should go for.

I don't think the right way to gain consumer trust is to have severe game draughts due to slow software output, keeping the price too high and refusing to lower it (they would likely start losing money on hardware again though), slow OS, very poor 3rd party support, tiny storage and poor online. The Wii U has not maintained goodwill, even with most Nintendo fans, these forums show as much. It has been a disappointment across the board and is a good show on how not to gain consumer trust.

SEGA was in an entirely different position; they had a single handheld system that did terribly on the market and there was no way of heading for mobile development back then as a source of extra income, their Arcade business had also taken massive hits as home consoles took more and more marketshare. SEGA lost money for five consecutive fiscal years and executed two consoles in a row and then went 3rd party; they had two home consoles pulled from the market in only about 3 years each, Nintendo pulling the plug on the Wii U after 4 years (in 2016) would hardly be the same. They mostly don't support their consoles beyond 5 years at any rate.
This whole notion that Nintendo would "SEGA themselves" if they cut the Wii U is simply not rooted in reality and the situations are very different.

"Whats worse? Taking a few software development losses or not beeing able to sell your next system?"

To me, the only thing they're accomplishing by clinging to the Wii U is fading into obscurity; ensuring that both their current and next console won't sell. If they wait until the Wii U sells even less than it has at its worst; it will be too late and no one will care that they release a new one as they will have no known presence on the home console market.

Their plan of having 3rd parties "submit to" their platforms is a bad one though; I don't think it will work as most developers are managing fine without releasing games for Nintendo's home consoles. While they may see Japan as the most important, and perhaps you as well, I see this as their major problem; they are too traditional and rigidly Japanese in their thinking and they have to focus on western markets more, this is where almost every gaming trend comes from today and this is where the majority of console hardware and software sales come from as well.
AAA publishers are indeed spreading terrible practices, and I'm not saying that Nintendo should jump on these, not at all (although; they have started to move more and more in this direction themselves lately).
The problem with protecting their family friendly image is that families largely don't care about them any longer; what sense is there in trying to cushion the impressions you make on an audience that has moved on to other platforms?
What I'm getting from your post is that Nintendo will and should continue to press for the same old agenda of forcing the market to adapt to them rather than the other way around; this is exactly the attitude that has caused all their problems lately and it must be discarded if they want to remain relevant.

Sony lost a lot of exclusive support in the 7th gen due to their mistakes but they have regained much of it by making good choices with the PS4. Winning two generations in a row is not a prerequisite for getting support, the PS4 is living proof of this. I'm not suggesting they fight an uphill battle; I'm suggesting they stop building their consoles at the bottom of the hill, like they've done for about 20 years now, they have wilfully alienated themselves from 3rd parties by making strange and selfish choices while MS and Sony have created more open and friendly developer environments and have gained good support as a result of this. Nintendo can't sit around twiddling their thumbs, waiting for everyone to realize who and what they are; they need to stand up and make themselves visible and they need to swallow old pride from the 80's and 90's and start reading and reacting instead of dictating and bypassing.

I am not suggesting they appeal solely to Sony and MS' audience; no where have I said that. What I have said is that they need a console with a clear aim, like the Wii had, the Wii U is all over the place and has a split personality. Which market to aim for is up to them, with hardware synergies through more adapted handhelds, mobile games and a smarter, more poised home console, there are possibilities for them, simply letting things grind the way they have been can prove to be their downfall in the end.
I never said they should focus on "mature" gamers, that was your idea and interpretation of my words but I never wrote that; it is all about a proper aim at an actual demographic.

"Rushing into that race would only lead Nintendo to big losses in earnings and consumer trust. They simply dont have the arguments to fight that head-on battle you think they should go for."

Once again; this is your idea and not mine, I'm not saying they should go for Sony and MS' marketshare, my main idea is that Nintendo need to learn how to read and adapt to markets, they need to have better aim with their products.
As for big losses in earnings; look no further than their last 2-3 years, they have lost plenty of money and launched two consoles in a row that took losses on each unit sold from the beginning. They won't survive on the scraps from the Wii U and even the 3DS isn't a huge cashcow like the DS was and is likely headed for a really, really challenging 2016 with low hardware and software sales.
There is no money to be had from forcing the Wii U to stay, and the consumer trust is at an all-time low, because of the Wii U. They need to get rid of it, and they need to do it quickly before everyone turns their backs on them, these very forums show a large numbers of die-hard Nintendo fans who show and speak nothing but displeasure with the Wii U and Nintendo's direction in the 8th gen, one can imagine how bad it could get should they press on with this foolishness.
This fabled consumer trust is not theirs to lose; it is already gone and they need a way of regaining it, the Wii U is quite simply not up to the task and I think that should be clear as day by now.

ReimTime said:
KLXVER said:

This is a video game forum. To many of us our consoles are not just a pieces of plastic...

Damn straight. They're more than that to me too. That's not the point. What can be said in this thread that was not said three days ago when they successfully baited you guys into the same type of thread? I know this is a video games forum. but really these threads look more and more like COD releases every day. Some guy makes a provocative thread, one guy provides a spark via a lowshot towards one fanbase, and everyone jumps on board to argue. You guys are better than this. Unless you actually enjoy it

WiiU had every chance to turn their fortune around. Nintendo simply given up on marketing and trying to sell the consoles. The console is terribly overpriced compare to everything else on the market. The costly gamepad doesn't add anything to gaming other than dragging the WiiU down with a high MSRP. Nintendo could have been more aggresive and sold the WiiU at cost and easily surpassed the Gamecube sales. They are more interested in making a profit on hardware and preparing for what comes next. Nintendo has doomed the WiiU to be one of their worst sellers. Only at this point can we tell that if trend remains the same it definite that the WiiU will reach not reach Gamecube level of sales. That's amazing considering that the audience today is probably much bigger than it was during the GameCube era.

Nintendo is actually selling the WiiU Splatoon Bundle for 29.99 more then regular bundle here in Canada. 

Some one tell me why does this matter why do does every one obsseessed with nintendo go play your amazing ps4 and give nintendo a dam break

Around the Network

With that release schedule? Sure. Pretty safe.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Train wreck said:
KLXVER said:

and WiiU will outsell the GC...

at the current rate (3.3m a year) itll take an a'dditional 4 years to outsell the gamecube...yea that is not happening.

I know, but there is enough people here that still believe it will, just showing them the long road ahead.

yvanjean said:
Tamron said:

Forgive me for not seeing the wheels you mounted on those goalposts.

You state "worst selling home console of all time"

Its a nintendo home console, it sold worse, thus your topic is wrong, get over it.

Inflation would care to difffer.... World population in 1980 is 4.2 Billion ish compare to 7.1 billion ish.

Video game population is also at a all time high... release only in Japan obviously doesn't mean anything to you. 

You can't compare a console that Japan only to home consoles with world market. 

Just like you cant apply world population change and economy to a single country.

In 1980 the population of Japan was 117 million.
In 2015 the population of Japan is 127 million, an increase of just 10 million in 25 years.

Don't bark about world population increase then go on to say "b.b.b..but it was japan only!"

I don't even LIKE Nintendo, but I find your cherry picking questionable at best. You stated ONLY "home console" and "nintendo" in both the op and title, you have been proven wrong, don't go shifting the goalposts because you didn't get your way.

Tamron said:

Just like you cant apply world population change and economy to a single country.

In 1980 the population of Japan was 117 million.
In 2015 the population of Japan is 127 million, an increase of just 10 million in 25 years.

Don't bark about world population increase then go on to say "b.b.b..but it was japan only!"

I don't even LIKE Nintendo, but I find your cherry picking questionable at best. You stated ONLY "home console" and "nintendo" in both the op and title, you have been proven wrong, don't go shifting the goalposts because you didn't get your way.

Why not? :p

Samus Aran said:

Why not? :p

I like FPS, Nintendo is literally the worst place for FPS