By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - OFFICIAL: Halo 3 Release on September 25th, 2007

FishyJoe said:

I think it has a much bigger impact on Sony than Nintendo. Most of Nintendo's blockbuster games don't compete directly with Halo 3. It could really suck the life out of Killzone sales though. 

I really don't think Killzone is going to need much help sucking sales away. I think it will do a pretty fine job of that by itself.

But you're right, it does hurt Sony more than Nintendo. I really wonder if anything can hurt Nintendo right now.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

Price cut pre-Halo seems unlikely at this point. They're focused on profitability, and PS3 sales aren't pressing the issue, plus they just released the Elite at a higher price, and probably don't want to screw over those hardcore fans. Allrighty, with Halo confirmed for end September, and GTA in October (presumably), its time to guess NA 360 sales for the rest of the year! April-August: 200-250K/month September: 750-900K October: 650-800K November: 600-700K December: 1.2-1.4 million Its hard to compare that to Wii, because supply remains the #1 problem for Wii moreso than which games will be released and when. But based on demand, I think Wii can easily compete in Nov/Dec, if not Sept/Oct.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

I think the problem with Killzone is brand awareness. The first one didn't do great considering it was on the dominating system last gen, and the PSP title isn't even a million seller yet. With the PSP having a 20 million install base, and the PS3 having considerably less, what are the chances it will push huge numbers? And ... what will be the 2nd million seller for the PS3 anyway? The only one that has broken a million units is Resistance: Fall of Man. I think with this announcement, Halo 3 may very well be the biggest selling console game, especially with the simultaneous release in Europe.

Erik Aston said:
Price cut pre-Halo seems unlikely at this point. They're focused on profitability, and PS3 sales aren't pressing the issue, plus they just released the Elite at a higher price, and probably don't want to screw over those hardcore fans. Allrighty, with Halo confirmed for end September, and GTA in October (presumably), its time to guess NA 360 sales for the rest of the year! April-August: 200-250K/month September: 750-900K October: 650-800K November: 600-700K December: 1.2-1.4 million Its hard to compare that to Wii, because supply remains the #1 problem for Wii moreso than which games will be released and when. But based on demand, I think Wii can easily compete in Nov/Dec, if not Sept/Oct.

I can agree with most of that, though I'd put June-August a little higher. With Forza, Blue Dragon, and Madden coming during those times, I think sales will be more in the 250k-350k range. Probably somewhere between 250k and 300k on average. Remember that with the Halo announcement, sales will start picking up well before September in anticipation of its release. I think Halo's effect (the Halo effect?) will bleed into July and August.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

zsidane said:
It really looks like E3... So Halo 3 will be released before GTA VI ? So those who still hesitate on picking it on PS3 or 360 will have one more AAA game to help them choosing the right console... End of the year looks like the end of time!

you mean the PS3 right? Halo isnt THAT good of a game... Ill pick up Unreal Tournament 99 (I own it) to play before I pick up Halo(i own Halo PC). 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
zsidane said:
It really looks like E3... So Halo 3 will be released before GTA VI ? So those who still hesitate on picking it on PS3 or 360 will have one more AAA game to help them choosing the right console... End of the year looks like the end of time!

you mean the PS3 right? Halo isnt THAT good of a game... Ill pick up Unreal Tournament 99 (I own it) to play before I pick up Halo(i own Halo PC).

Well, I played Halo 2 for about 2h than returned to Ninja Gaiden...

I never said that Halo is the greatest FPS or that It's one of my favourite series, but come on, look at Halo 2 sales! Millions of people do not think the same as we do! And when talking about moving systems, Halo is the only chance left for Microsoft.

Now Loading... Please Wait!

This Christmas is going to be extremely interesting, I think it's the strongest Xbox lineup ever.

I wouldn't say Halo is the "last chance for MS", thats like saying "Mario is the last chance for MS". MS has alot of other great games out there. The reason I say that this news hurts Nintendo is this: I believe most of the people, not all, of the people buying the Wii are your "Blue Ocean Buyers" and Nintendo fans. However, this will transition into the largest, biggest, best buyers, the typical and casual gamers that bought probably 30m of the PS2s last gen in the US. They are going to start looking for a new system this Christmas. Some couldn't get their hands on the Wii, and might be looking elsewhere. A cheaper X360 with a better lineup could translate into (litterally) millions of X360s sold this Christmas. IMO, sales: August (Pre H3) - 70k/wk September (Pre H3) - 75/wk (no price drop till H3 releases), 400k H3 launch week. October - 175k/wk, 325k/wk @ GTAIV Launch. November - 220-275k/wk December - ~400k/wk or even 450k/wk. IMHO, we could see 4-5m new 360 adopters between September and December in the US alone.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Halo doesn't scare Nintendo at all - but it may scare Sony. Launching it before GTA is a masterstroke - gamers will pick up Halo in September, then grab GTA for their shiny new 360 in October.

If MS wanted to really run this all in - then release a killer app (?) for Thanksgiving - along with a price cut.

Here is a question for you all - which will sell more hardware - Halo3 ... or a combination of Wii Music & Wii Health pack...?

Its going to be a huge, savage end to this year. I think Sony will be happy to concede the US to MS - and focus on next year.

EDIT - Ninty sees Sony as much more of a threat than MS. The stronger MS get, the more this hurts Sony - and this isn't something Ninty minds that much at all... 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099