By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do Developers Understand The PS3 Now ?

I did a bit of reading today in my free time about the PS3's architecture the SPU's , RSX  I understood it to some extent but basicly most of it went over my head. In the early years of the PS3 the general consesus was that it couldn't be properly utlised because it's creators didn't have the developers in mind but rather only kept the business benefits of the PS3's architecture in mind. I read about how the 360's architecture was more fit for purpose than the PS3's for general gaming.

1 year later we've seen amazing titles come out for the PS3 such as Uncharted claiming to use only a third to half of the PS3's SPU's (whether that means that the game is only half as graphicaly or the physics where only half as advnaced is beyond me , if some one would care to elaborate that would be cool)

A more recent article suggested that despite the increase in developer knowledge of the PS3 only big budget PS3's exclusive games would be the only type of title that may fully utilise the PS3 and possibly surpass the 360's capabilities.

Neither Sony nor microsoft have released too much information about the capabilities of their consoles , I don't even think the developer community knows the full extent of the PS3's capabilities, whether or not they've reached them or the possibility or even more improvment. The 360 will possibly get maxed out earlier as to my understanding it's architecture isn't too different from a computer so the only real limitation is the Hardware as opposed to developer skills.

I have a general interest in this type of stuff anyway but my main motivation to learn about the PS3's architecture was to understand it's full potential , i'd hate to buy a 360 only to find that the PS3's got all these super CGI looking games in a year or two. 

PS: If heard the new final fantasy title for the PS3 has near CGI gfx , is this true ?

Around the Network

if anything they are starting to get the hang of things. Even the worst devs from EA are learning it.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Well, developers never understood the GameCube so why should we care about PS3?

Snesboy said:
Well, developers never understood the GameCube so why should we care about PS3?

I don't understand how the first part of your statement relates to the second part.

Well they will max out the 360's specs MUCH faster than they will the PS3's. Microsoft made it really easy to showcase how much power it contains and since it's easy to utilize they will have far less "untapped resources".

And yes, only Exclusive Titles will be able to show that world beyond the 360 in terms of graphics, physics, etc etc. Multi-plats have to play to the weakness of both systems, I.E. Disc space, streaming features, ease of program, use of cores and use of SPE's. Multi-plats are never going to be able to showcase a system to it's fullest. The two just aren't as compatible as say consoles were last gen.

And yes, FFXIII is almost fluid CG :P

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

I think it is pretty obvious that Devs have gotten to grips with the hardware now, just look at the games that have been released!

And in terms of them reaching the PS3's limits now, thats just insane! Compare games on the PS2 that were released early in the lifecycle of the console and games near the end (such as FFXII) and they look much much better! So there is a lot more to the PS3 to come :D

Snesboy said:
Well, developers never understood the GameCube...

That's bullshit.

You must have never played Resident Evil 4. I'd say developers understood the GameCube just fine.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Apple moved from PowerPC chips to Intel x86 chips, partially due to compatibility, so the PowerPC based 360 is different from PC's architecturally. All the speak otherwise is very slanted.

Yes/No ...

Being that most developers will be focused on cross platform development between the XBox 360 and PS3, most developers understand the PS3 well enough that they can match the performance of the XBox 360 and don't care about much beyond that.

Developers working on big budget exclusive PS3 games may continue fighting with the system to get further perfomance out of the system, potentially at the expense of delays.

this year ... MADDEN 60FPS

Time to Work !