By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 is so close to 50% market share I can almost taste it

I'm having 2007 flashbacks from the beginning of the Nintendo's 7th gen runaway sales.

The Wii would go on to approach 50% market share and VGC was occupied by die hard Nintendo fans not surprisingly. The PS3 had generated no momentum even with a drop from $599 to $499 within the first year and was doing little to offset Wii market share.

How things have changed one generation later.

The big difference here is that PS4 market share percentages really aren't relevant as they won't result in any changes in software development plans or publishing priorities as the industry has essentially already backed the PS4 as the lead platform.

There were people who were actually under the impression that if the Wii could break past 50% market share that 3rd party developers would be obligated to provide better and more software support and that not doing so would be detrimental to game producing companies and would result in said companies "going out of business" for not supporting the market majority share holder. It's fun to laugh about this in retrospect.

Around the Network
OdinHades said:
Brace yourselves for the return of 3rd party exclusives.

Reading that and seeing the two avatars in your sig is a bit ironic

Goodnightmoon said:
Hiku said:

I mean what other examples do you have of this happening to a console? PS4 has only been out for 1.5 years, so I don't think that's a good indication as a lot of things can change over the years.

As for the bolded part, I don't think that's logical for PS4's situation. Sony have planned and begun development for all the games that are currently out before PS4 launched. Meaning they planned all this before they knew how successful it would become. So there's no logical reason to think they became arogant. So what you're seeing now is not a sign of that.

Further supporting that is the recent news that Sony plan to "Aggressively invest in Playstation business".
http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/04/30/sony-plans-to-aggressively-invest-in-playstation-business-first-party-games-and-more-in-2015/

You also have to account for all the exclusive deals that Sony have arranged for themselves It's looking better and better each month on the Japanese games front, and that doesn't scream lazy to me.

As for its current situation though, I'll compare it to what noteworthy titles PS3 had after 1,5 years.

PS3 had: Resistance, Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, Folklore, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted.

PS4 has: Killzone, Infamous 3, Driveclub, Litte Big Planet 3, Guilty Gear Xrd, The Order, Bloodborne, and as for in Japan, Yakuza Isshin, Yakuza Zero, Dragon Quest Heroes, Disgaea 5.

I'm probably forgetting some games, and I'm not sure which games they invested in or not when it comes to third party titles that stick to Sony, but either way it doesn't look that different to me.

I would say Nintendo, they become lazy and a bit arrogants on the last years of Wii.

And of course, Sony on the first ps3 years was arrogant, seling a 600$ console with very few good titles and many remakes. I dont think that ps4 has started a lot better on the quality of its games, all those games had being mostly disapointing (they didn´t reach the quality expected, specially at launch), only Bloodborne really stands up (sadly nobody cares about Guilty Gear, i like it though) the third parties are doing all Sony´s work, Sony is being underwhelming, and this time they are selling fine anyways, so I´m not sure if Sony will stand lazy for the rest of the generation, they dont have a ps3 situation anymore, they are going to sell anyways.

And of course let´s not talk about the Vita, because the words lazy, arrogant and disapointing are the first that comes to my mind. Poor orphan console, it could have been great but...

The Vita is outselling the Wii U almost on a weekly basis, how do you explain that?

AEGRO said:
Goodnightmoon said:

I would say Nintendo, they become lazy and a bit arrogants on the last years of Wii.

And of course, Sony on the first ps3 years was arrogant, seling a 600$ console with very few good titles and many remakes. I dont think that ps4 has started a lot better on the quality of its games, all those games had being mostly disapointing (they didn´t reach the quality expected, specially at launch), only Bloodborne really stands up (sadly nobody cares about Guilty Gear, i like it though) the third parties are doing all Sony´s work, Sony is being underwhelming, and this time they are selling fine anyways, so I´m not sure if Sony will stand lazy for the rest of the generation, they dont have a ps3 situation anymore, they are going to sell anyways.

And of course let´s not talk about the Vita, because the words lazy, arrogant and disapointing are the first that comes to my mind. Poor orphan console, it could have been great but...

The Vita is outselling the Wii U almost on a weekly basis, how do you explain that?

Poor comparison if you had checked and know  the sales trending!it happened in late february-march because ps vita was getting big game releases in Japan you will see a different picture in april...
Also it's not the first time that what you say is happening but don't use it as an argument,it's bad since is not a trending just a temporal thing/coincidence...

Go and see the wii u vs ps vita 2014 total...

WII U 3.674m VS PSVITA 2.4M...While we had several weeks with psv above in the first months but it's getting slaughtered later.It even gets outsold by wii u in holidays in Japan!

chuckyj1 said:
Oh. does like everyone who owns a PS4 get some kind of loyalty check or compensation? oh. I didn't think so. Fanboys care about sales.... gamers care about playing great games on any system they come out on.... I guess we know which type posted this message topic...

Console sales and the number of released games are not uncorrelated. PSX, PS2, 360, NDS vs Vita, Wii U and so on.

Around the Network
chuckyj1 said:
Oh. does like everyone who owns a PS4 get some kind of loyalty check or compensation? oh. I didn't think so. Fanboys care about sales.... gamers care about playing great games on any system they come out on.... I guess we know which type posted this message topic...

It's nice being an alt, huh?

Post has been dealt with.

- Shinobi-san

alternine said:

More marketshare = More investing in games

more marketshare = ps3 gen after too lol.

I hope Sony learned from that and not get a big ego if they end up totally dominating by gens end ie 60-70% marketshare.

tak13 said:
AEGRO said:

Poor comparison if you had checked and know  the sales trending!it happened in late february-march because ps vita was getting big game releases in Japan you will see a different picture in april...
Also it's not the first time that what you say is happening but don't use it as an argument,it's bad since is not a trending just a temporal thing/coincidence...

Go and see the wii u vs ps vita 2014 total...

WII U 3.674m VS PSVITA 2.4M...While we had several weeks with psv above in the first months but it's getting slaughtered later.It even gets outsold by wii u in holidays in Japan!

Wii U sold more because of System sellers MK and SSB, otherwise Vita would have sold more. Vita had no big games like Wii U and it just has some japanese games.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

ils411 said:
rolltide101x said:

Bloodborne says hi

You have to do the check list first to determine if its a quality software

CHECK LIST

1. Is it an FPS -> NOPE

2. Does the title have the words Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable, Mario, Zelda, or Pokkemon in it? -> NOPE

3. Is it Multiplat -> NOPE

4. Is it exlusive to either MS or NIntendo? -> NOPE

Conclusion

Bloodborne = CRAPTASTIC SOFTWARE 

trolllololololll lololololll!!!

What is annoying with people saying "The PS4 has no games" is the fact it has more games than any other current console....

The PS1 to PS2 transition does have me guessing whether the transition between the PS4 and the PS5 will be a short one relative to the PS3-PS4.

Given the smaller, even incremental leap in CPU/GPU capabilities considering the seven year difference in technology, it almost seems a given that the PS4 and XBO were designed around a 5 year life cycle.

In all truth, I would rather buy a PS5 for $399 in 3-4 years rather than a second PS4 for $299 or even less in that same time frame.

With all the investment both MS and SCE have been making in cloud processing services, I'm wondering whether the 9th generation will even be similar to the last 8 with the basic model of buy new local processing box, buy retail games on optical format with option to buy digital license.