By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon Direct 7th May

NintendoCM said:
Was the direct kinda boring, yes. But lack of content? I disagree, turf war seems extremely re playable, Splat zones will be cool. The tower mode will be there within a month. A cool single player. Loads of weapons and equipment. And splat fests. Ill be getting this day one, and still be playing it when they release FREE new stuff!

Is it really 'free' though?  I'm guessing this roll out thing Nintendo is doing is because the Wii U install base is too low.  So instead of giving you everything at once, they slowly roll out content/. That way each new gated content guarantees a section of the playerbase moving over to at least try the new content and that the content itself seems fresh and new enough to have a dedicated stream of players playing with a constant buzz around it.  Which would make sense seeing as they're grooming the ip for greater things.

Instead of the usual mp game where everything is released, but like dregs in cup, it eventually settles down to the same few maps and game modes played over and over again.

I guess they're trying something new with this.  I wonder if they'll take the same approach to Devil's Third, given that more or less they are in the same territory.  What's the release window for that thing anyway?  Because I sure as hell hope it isn't around the time when any of the heavy hitter multiplayer games are coming out.

I think it's going to suffer in the reviews though, but on the other hand it could catch on and blow up...maybe.

Around the Network
SuperNova said:
Curmudgeon said:
RolStoppable said:

It's also 40 in Austria and on Amazon Germany. The special edition with amiibo costs 60.

Is it a new trend that amiibos are getting more expensive? Yoshi's Woolly World also slaps 20+ Euro on top of the standalone price.

The Wooly World are special though, maybe that's the reason. Also retailers are simply increasing the price. I was in a game store today were they sold somewhat rare Amiibo like Toon Link and Wario for €25. As if scalpers aren't bad enough...

I saw it for 45€ including the Amiibo at german retailer Media Markt, so that may just be Amazons pricing being wierd. I was surprised people kept saying it was 60 bucks.

It is $60 in the U.S. Are you guys telling me we're getting shafted again? =/

Samus Aran said:
Wyrdness said:

And guess why they're bought digitally.

Because they're dirt cheap on Steam. I'm sure there are more reasons, that I don't deny. Feel free to inform me of them. I'm guessing DRM?

They're the same price on Steam in a number of cases they are more expensive as retail stores have little confidence in them and sell them for cheap, DRM is one main reason as it wipes out right of first purchase which is why MS received so much heat for attempting it on XB1, we also had what I mentioned earlier on the platform maintaining the games for you. Other main reason is as clear as day, PC is an open platform, digital bypasses things like the format the game is on when bought at retail should in future a new standard takes over that isn't compatible with the previous (E.g Floppy to CDs) as PC games have much longer shelf life then console games, a large number of PC games are still purchased years after launch because the majority of PC gamers eventually obtain the hardware to run a game plus your library will always carry over.

It's more viable on PC to buy digital then retail as the latter has little to no benefit over the other on open platforms where as on console it's more a case of just convenience or having a hard copy, digital doesn't offer similar benefits on closed platforms because as seen with the PS4/X1 games you purchased on a previous platform digitally don't necessarily carry over so the situation is reversed in a sense.

It's disappointing that it will only have 5 maps at launch, that's similar to TF2 with 6.

The pictures and question marks suggest that 9 additional maps are planned, 14 would be fine.

I'm still buying it at launch because I'm not going to play it for many hours every day.

EDIT: It's weird that it's 39,99 € in Europe and & $59.99 in the US on the eShop. And the 10% discount for the "Global Testfire" users only seems to be in Europe.

NoE > NoA confirmed, I also heard that NoE is pissed about NoA's YouTube policies.

RolStoppable said:

It's also 40 in Austria and on Amazon Germany. The special edition with amiibo costs 60.

Is it a new trend that amiibos are getting more expensive? Yoshi's Woolly World also slaps 20+ Euro on top of the standalone price.

I preordered the one with an amiibo for 44.99 € at MediaMarkt. The standard edition starts at 35 € online.

TheSpindler said:
NintendoCM said:
Was the direct kinda boring, yes. But lack of content? I disagree, turf war seems extremely re playable, Splat zones will be cool. The tower mode will be there within a month. A cool single player. Loads of weapons and equipment. And splat fests. Ill be getting this day one, and still be playing it when they release FREE new stuff!

Is it really 'free' though?  I'm guessing this roll out thing Nintendo is doing is because the Wii U install base is too low.  So instead of giving you everything at once, they slowly roll out content/. That way each new gated content guarantees a section of the playerbase moving over to at least try the new content and that the content itself seems fresh and new enough to have a dedicated stream of players playing with a constant buzz around it.  Which would make sense seeing as they're grooming the ip for greater things.

Instead of the usual mp game where everything is released, but like dregs in cup, it eventually settles down to the same few maps and game modes played over and over again.

I guess they're trying something new with this.  I wonder if they'll take the same approach to Devil's Third, given that more or less they are in the same territory.  What's the release window for that thing anyway?  Because I sure as hell hope it isn't around the time when any of the heavy hitter multiplayer games are coming out.

I think it's going to suffer in the reviews though, but on the other hand it could catch on and blow up...maybe.

Yes, is free. But is like someone said: they will sell a empty bottle and then slowly put water inside

Click HERE and be happy 

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:

Worst direct ever.

At launch we get:

- one online mode (the other is locked till enough players reach level ten)
- 5 multiplayer maps
- 28 singleplayer levels that each last around 5 minutes.

This game is going to bomb hard on metacritic. How did this take more than a year to develop?

2 Online Modes actually (Turf Wars and Zone Battles), both unranked til the ranked versions gets unlocked

5 Multiplayer Maps: True, that's a bit of a shame. But that doesn't have to mean too much: World of Tanks Beta started with 5 Maps too (the Alpha even had only one at a time!) and those where quite replayable. If there really will be new maps every few weeks it shouldn't feel that bad after one or two months anymore

How do you want to know the Levels will be this short?

Overall, I agree it lacks a bit of content at launch, but that problem should be solved by summer

Bofferbrauer said:
Samus Aran said:

Worst direct ever.

At launch we get:

- one online mode (the other is locked till enough players reach level ten)
- 5 multiplayer maps
- 28 singleplayer levels that each last around 5 minutes.

This game is going to bomb hard on metacritic. How did this take more than a year to develop?

2 Online Modes actually (Turf Wars and Zone Battles), both unranked til the ranked versions gets unlocked

5 Multiplayer Maps: True, that's a bit of a shame. But that doesn't have to mean too much: World of Tanks Beta started with 5 Maps too (the Alpha even had only one at a time!) and those where quite replayable. If there really will be new maps every few weeks it shouldn't feel that bad after one or two months anymore

How do you want to know the Levels will be this short?

Overall, I agree it lacks a bit of content at launch, but that problem should be solved by summer

I've seen quite a few levels already on youtube, check out game informer. Splatzone is locked away until enough people reach level 10.

Im still buying it
I got bored with mk8 after a week and that had more content
and shooters are more fun and I play them more
so I can wait.

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

OfficerRaichu15 said:
Im still buying it
so I can wait.

I'm still buying it as well, but I'm pissed. :p

Unless it reviews poorly...

Samus Aran said:
OfficerRaichu15 said:
Im still buying it
so I can wait.

I'm still buying it as well, but I'm pissed. :p

Unless it reviews poorly...

Ehh Im used to it with Destiny and TF2 doesnt bother me as much.

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3