By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PC Gamers: Second Class Citizens??

PC would be first class. Not to sound like one of those "PC master race" people, but there's just so much more you can do with a PC than a console. You can even build a PC for the same price as one of the current consoles that's more powerful.  To be fair I love consoles as well though and am planning on buying another console soon. 

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
 I feel like developers and publishers are treating me with more respect than most console owners at times.

I think Steam pretty much expresses this the most with the way you can get games, good games, for under $10.00 with Steam sales. I got Meat Boy, Fez, Braid for ALL under $7.00 each. I think Meat Boy was like, $2.50. 

When you look at Steam and see a game for $2.00, and then peer over at XBL or PSN and see the same damn game for $15.00-$20.00, THAT'S when the whole disrespect sets in. Atleast for me anyway lol

FloatingWaffles said:

PC would be first class. Not to sound like one of those "PC master race" people, but there's just so much more you can do with a PC than a console. You can even build a PC for the same price as one of the current consoles that's more powerful.  To be fair I love consoles as well though and am planning on buying another console soon. 

If I could get a PC built that was more powerful, or AS powerful as a PS4, and have it be totally plug and plug to where it sits under my TV just like a console? I'd seriously bite. 

The only problem I have with PC gaming is the aesthetic. I grew up on NES in the 80's and have always played on consoles so for me, without that sort of feel, I just can't get into it. 

AlfredoTurkey said:
FloatingWaffles said:

If I could get a PC built that was more powerful, or AS powerful as a PS4, and have it be totally plug and plug to where it sits under my TV just like a console? I'd seriously bite. 

The only problem I have with PC gaming is the aesthetic. I grew up on NES in the 80's and have always played on consoles so for me, without that sort of feel, I just can't get into it. 

They do sort of have those in the form of Steam machines, but honestly I think it would be better to just build a regular PC than buy one of those. 

As both a PC and console gamer I don't much understand why people think the PC gets the shaft on games. The sheer quantity of games that the PC gets that consoles will never see has me absolutely perplexed as to how people could feel PC gamers are neglected.

If there's any discrepancy here it's that PC gamers aren't generally salivating at the thought of the upcoming EA/Ubisoft releases. I often find myself wishing the console market was more akin to the PC, as it sometimes feels just a few publishers are holding the entire console market hostage, whereas on the PC I enjoy all kinds of games from developers few have heard of.

Around the Network

These days I play more on consoles than A PC, but I have to say that there's definitely something of an inferiority complex in the console community that seems to have many lashing out at the very mention of the PC (to be fair, that PC master race crap is annoying). The truth is no one console could possibly match what the PC offers, but it's a more affordable option to be sure.

Besides, it's always more fun to play games with friends on consoles, though only nintendo seems interested in supporting the local play scene... Split screens are very nearly endangered at this point.

shikamaru317 said:
Alot of AAA devs don't even bother optimizing their games for PC, the PC ports are often buggy as heck. But at least PC gets alot of indie love.

One of my pet peves is the lazyness involved.

Crappy framerates on console? : Optimize it and fine tune or nobody will buy.

Crappy framerates on PC? : Your pc must be slow, upgrade it and/or "just proof that we future proofed the game" (was used as an excuse for GTAIV, better hardware came, and the engine showed it was incapable of actually using it properly).

Tachikoma said:
I'll address the elephant in the room.

Name a ps4, wiiu or Xbox one game you can play on the console pirated?

Now, name a PC game you can't...

Seriously? Every single past console was pirated, so I can't see this being any reason whatsoever. I know many people who don't own a single original X360 game, despite owning and enjoying the console for years. The same with Wii, DS and PSP, even PS3. So no, there is no such elephant in the room and never was.

Also guys, don't forget that the prices of console games are higher from the start because they have to cover the cut that Sony/MS/Nintendo gets (20%?), while there is no such cut on PC to pay.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Most Ubisoft games and DLC of the last years get released on PC the same time as the console versions: http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/company/2175-ubisoft

Far Cry 3, Blood Dragon, AC3: The Tyranny of King Washington, Call of Juarez: Gun Slinger, Splinter Cell: Black List, Rayman Legends, Rocksmith 2014, AC4: Black Flag, Freedom Cry, AC Liberation HD,South Park: The Stick of Truth, Trials: Fusion, Child of Light,  Valiant Hearts, Watch Dogs, Bad Blood, AC: Unity, Far Cry 4, The Crew, Dead Kings, Valley of the Yetis, AC Chronicles China... 

So where is Ubisoft treating PC gamers second class or as an afterthought? AC: Rogue was release later than on 360 + PS3... because it didn't made sense to release both Unity and Rogue on PC in the same month.

Most EA games and DLC of the last years get released on PC the same time as the console versions: http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/company/619-electronic-arts

Mass Effect 3 (and all of its DLCs), NfS: Most Wanted, Dead Space 3, Battlefield 4 (and all of its DLCs), NfS: Rivals, Titanfall, FIFA 14 + 15, Dragon Age: Inquisition,  Battlefield Hardline.

Some EA sport games are still missing on PC though.

Most Activision games and DLC of the last years get released on PC the same time as the console: http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/company/1844-activision

Batman: Arkham Knight, The Witcher 3, Project Cars, MGS 5: The Phantom Pain, FIFA 16,  Black Ops 3 and many others.. all expected to be released at the same time on PC and consoles.

PC version as an afterthought? That was the case at the beginning of the 7th generation, but not anymore. The PC versions are included in the planning and development from day 1, even if they give some time exclusivity to Xbox or PlayStation.

Scisca said:
Tachikoma said:
I'll address the elephant in the room.

Name a ps4, wiiu or Xbox one game you can play on the console pirated?

Now, name a PC game you can't...

Seriously? Every single past console was pirated, so I can't see this being any reason whatsoever. I know many people who don't own a single original X360 game, despite owning and enjoying the console for years. The same with Wii, DS and PSP, even PS3. So no, there is no such elephant in the room and never was.

Also guys, don't forget that the prices of console games are higher from the start because they have to cover the cut that Sony/MS/Nintendo gets (20%?), while there is no such cut on PC to pay.

Seriously, because console piracy, even on the most pirated consoles of all time, is still considerably lower than the level of piracy on PC.