By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Xbox 360 Was Probably the Best Engineered Video Game Console Ever

What is the best Engineered Video Game Console Ever?

Xbox 360 127 13.86%

PS4 405 44.21%

SNES 123 13.43%

Dreamcast 62 6.77%

Atari 2600 12 1.31%

None of the above 187 20.41%

Total:916
Samus Aran said:
DonFerrari said:

Well, if you don't care about graphics that is inconsequential for any comparison independent of the reason. Cheaper to buy doesn't mean cheaper to make nor that it was better engineered.

Is any of the people here even engineer to use the term so loosely?

When did I say I don't care about graphics? Don't put words in my mouth.

you preffer wiiu to pc, don t you?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Samus Aran said:

When did I say I don't care about graphics? Don't put words in my mouth.

Does PC have the games I like?

Wii U can't have nice graphics?

I also do some PC gaming btw, mostly the Total War series and Runescape (by far the game I played the most) in the past.

Samus Aran said:
DonFerrari said:

I also do some PC gaming btw, mostly the Total War series and Runescape (by far the game I played the most) in the past.

So basically your concept of nice graphics is what WiiU can offer and your example of good graphics on PC is Total War and Runescape, I rest my case.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

There has to be some love for the Game Cube. It was powerful, cheap and it had an amazing design. And, also, it had one of the best controllers ever. It's a shame that it didn't sell what it deserved.

DonFerrari said:
Samus Aran said:

So basically your concept of nice graphics is what WiiU can offer and your example of good graphics on PC is Total War and Runescape, I rest my case.

I don't play games because they have good graphics. I play games I find fun and if they happen to have good graphics then that's an extra bonus.

I wouldn't touch games like The Order, Ryse or Driveclub with a ten foot pole no matter how good they look.

Games like Ryse are nothing more than an ignorant attempt at trying to cash in on history. And as someone with a Master Degree in history it pains me to see people play games like that.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Ruler said:
Miyamotoo said:
Ruler said:
Samus Aran said:

Yeah, no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkKX-nU9fX4

Yeah great a few wood more on the trees that justifies calling the PS2 port ass? the ps2 version has even better shadow effects on ashley. Both games pretty much look the same. The fact that the ps2 was even able to run this game and it looks almost the same and runs on the same framerate speaks more about the ps2 than the gamecube.

I remember when this game was announced for the ps2 how people and magazines were in disbelieve that this game would even run and look the same on the weaker ps2. But they were proven wrong.

Seems we didnt watch same video, It looks obviously better on Game Cube than on PS2.

Better but almost the same

Hardly, GC version looks like a remaster of PS2 version. :)
Difference is bigger than comparison between PS4 and Xbox One games.

So gamecube version runs at 1080p? Oh nope it doesnt.

Sorry.

RROD.

/thread

Horrible failure rates and an external power brick remove the X360 from any contention for the best designed video game console. As a platform it deserves top marks but it terms of pure engineering it's a huge @$$ fail.

Absolutely, it's GPU is not the bases for about everything. It was also significantly more powerful that most PC's even a year after launch.

Imagine what 8th gen would have been like if it took a similar leap in tech.

But sadly somethings like DDR4 were quite ready yet.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

From purely a hardware POV, I'd say the GameCube.

It was noticeably more powerful (look at RE4 and Rogue Squadron III vs. any PS2 game) than the PS2 while being $100 cheaper.

Of course making it purple and all the other mistakes Nintendo made with software choices, branding, etc. were problematic, but I'm talking about strictly just the hardware .... GameCube takes the cake and it didn't have any of the failure rate problems the XBox 360 had.

- Powerful (a lot of the games like Wind Waker, F-Zero GX, Star Wars Rogue Squadron, Star Fox Adventures, RE4 still look decent today)

- Cheap

- Reliable (not much talk about failure rates, my GCN from 2002 still as good as the day I bought it)

- Easy to Program For

Not bad. A real shame Nintendo f*cked up the marketing, look, and software decisions for the machine so much.