By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do 1080p Xbox One Games Indicate That Xbox is Now on Par With PS4?

Will Xbox One ever reach parity with PS4?

Yes 42 6.93%

No 492 81.19%

Who cares, I have a high end PC 30 4.95%

It's about framerate not resolution 42 6.93%

Total:606
Turkish said:
Shackkobe said:

Agree or disagree? Speak your mind.

"destiny, diablo 3, tomb raider, gta v" LMAO 6 month old cross gen games are your only example? What about the new games like Witcher 3, Evolve, BF Hardline, Dragon Age Inquisition, Mortal Kombat, Project Cars?

The hardware gap will never be overcome and the differences in resolution will always be there. The Xbone just has a weaker GPU that's not really suited for 1080p, it has half as many ROPs as PS4: 32 vs 16 ROPs and only 2/3 of the CUs of PS4.

Most people know this, the fact a  few fanatics are still arguing a "HArdware" gap can even be closed is pathetic and sad. Of course there will be some 1080p games on x1, any game can, but ps4 can do ti easier and with less concessions. Cross gen games and sports games, it's not surprising that is mainly  the only games on x1 at 1080p. 

Around the Network

Ordered my Xone yesterday. Not because of hardware parity. Don't care about that. But because of exclusives, controller...

That GPU gap wont ever be closed. Every improvement on the software side that MS can do Sony can basically do to.
It will be nice to see both consoles improve though.

captain carot said:
Ordered my Xone yesterday. Not because of hardware parity. Don't care about that. But because of exclusives, controller...

That GPU gap wont ever be closed. Every improvement on the software side that MS can do Sony can basically do to.

Good reason to choose your console... even more when MPs will look similar even with the gap.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Actually, even if there's a slight difference i don't care.

A friend of mine has a nice Panasonitc VT 65" Plasma. Even there 900p Xbox games look just fine in motion.

On my small 46" it doesn't matter at all for me.

If someone really bothers, come on. Go play on PC, because that actually is a real difference.

captain carot said:
Actually, even if there's a slight difference i don't care.

A friend of mine has a nice Panasonitc VT 65" Plasma. Even there 900p Xbox games look just fine in motion.

On my small 46" it doesn't matter at all for me.

If someone really bothers, come on. Go play on PC, because that actually is a real difference.

Small 46"? What does that make my 21.5" monitor lol? It is very low latency though (2ms), that's why I bought it.

And my BIG tv is 32", but it's a good one aswell.

PS, PS2, Gameboy Advance, PS3, PSP, PS4, Xbox One

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
starcraft said:
The PS4 has and will always maintain a very small real world graphical advantage over the Xbox One, almost indiscernable outside of side-by-side comparisons.

Xbox One games moving to 1080p might make a small difference even smaller, but it will never 'close the gap' entirely.

Man it isn't small... if the devs dedicate the same time to both platforms to get the most of them even if both were 1080p60fps there would be a gap on other parts that compose the IQ... 50% more GPU power and generally faster RAM won't end up being small difference. At the time the SW are so primitive on the systems that a lot of people have difficult time differentiating PS360 games to PS4X1

I am familiar (in laymens terms anyway) with the technical disparity.

But what we've seen is that the real-world difference is minimal.

The PS3 was more powerful than the Xbox 360 (arguably a greater disparity), and ultimately its best exclusives still looked marginally better than Xbox 360's best exclusives.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

captain carot said:

Hurray for honesty!

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

so games that Xbox One is able to execute at 1080p: Destiny, Diablo 3, Tomb Raider DE, GTA 5... are all last gen games. Destiny was developed for both last and this gen.

What about this gen games...? Wticher 3, Batman Arkham Knight, Dragon Age Inquisition?

The real world differences between the two consoles are minimal, so it doesn't really matter. I mean, if you are SO concerned about the best frame rate and resolution, go out an buy a PC. Hell, I own a top end PC and as far as I'm concerned even the graphical disparities between that and PS4 are minimal. I don't really think Shadow of Mordor gains much from being able to run at 120 FPS instead of 60.

nuckles87 said:
The real world differences between the two consoles are minimal, so it doesn't really matter. I mean, if you are SO concerned about the best frame rate and resolution, go out an buy a PC. Hell, I own a top end PC and as far as I'm concerned even the graphical disparities between that and PS4 are minimal. I don't really think Shadow of Mordor gains much from being able to run at 120 FPS instead of 60.

The difference in real world application is significant.  PS4 GPU is much more powerful than X1 GPU and also PS4 has more effective memory bandwidth.

And it's not the whole story :  not only PS4 is more powerful to begin with, it is heavily geared towards asynchronous compute which will allow non-graphics calulations to be done on the GPU.

This is exacly what Mark Cerny was referring to when he said that "we will get more out of the hardware in year 3 and 4 of the console's cycle."

This is very simalar to Cell, except this is something that is also available to PCs. Crytek and other Devs have already demonstrated what it can do.

''Normally, a GPU is used to execute graphics commands rendering what we see on our screen, while compute commands, that normally simulate the world around us, drive the artificial intelligence and prompt the software to react to our actions, are handled by the CPU.

The GPU of the PS4 has been optimized to break that barrier, thanks to the shared memory pool and to a secondary bus that allows it to read and write directly from and to the system memory. The number of compute commands that the architecture can queue has also been dramatically increased (to 64) in order to run a relatively large number of small programs simultaneously or almost (fine-grain).''

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/07/01/ps4s-asynchronous-fine-grain-compute-gpu-what-the-heck-can-it-do/

Let's enjoy the Game experience and let's accept PS4 is the far superior Hardware.  Dreaming does not help.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.