By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playism publishing multiple Japanese indie games on PS4/Vita in 2015

Wow really wasnt expecting to see Japanese indies make there way to western consoles. Ive actually watched gameplay of a few of them before and will def be picking them up.

Around the Network
Aura7541 said:
Turkish said:
Are those the average Japanese indie games? If so then the average Japanese indie game looks way better than the average western indie game which still can't get over their fetish for pseudo 8 bit and pixel art.

The 8-bit fetish is not the only problem with western indie games. Some indie developers abuse Steam's Early Access and basically make nothing more than a cut-and-paste jobs of Unity assets.

Yeah but lets not forget that there's still many devs out there who copy+paste ideas from other games, most noatably these games having already been done before that achieved a decent if not better success rate and followings gained.

I noticed Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae because I remember Total Biscuit taking a gander at it, it wasn't as good as I expected just watching the gameplay and TB wasn't really that impressed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLCaOTfDLQM

It's also on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/263620/

yes there are definitely some good japanese indie games but there's also a heap of good Western Indie games like Minecraft, Terarria, Besiege. Planetary Annihilation etc, there's always going to be crap within each genre and game type, I find Turkish to be flat out wrong because as I said ebfore there are plenty of great western indie games that don't revolve around being 8-bit, 8/16/32/64 etc are all still popular styles that many still love, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that and it doesn't automatically mean they suck and are a bad thing yet Turkish takes a small gander at a few Japanese games and declares allw estern indies as shit while painting all of them with a brush.

I just find it a bit off putting when people claim one side of the planet's devs are superior to the others while painting them at the same time.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Turkish said:
Are those the average Japanese indie games? If so then the average Japanese indie game looks way better than the average western indie game which still can't get over their fetish for pseudo 8 bit and pixel art.

But seriously I feel you. Most of western indies albeit fun they tend to love 8-bits while there are like tons of high-end game engines out there and some of them are even free. 

Chazore said:
Aura7541 said:
Turkish said:

The 8-bit fetish is not the only problem with western indie games. Some indie developers abuse Steam's Early Access and basically make nothing more than a cut-and-paste jobs of Unity assets.

Yeah but lets not forget that there's still many devs out there who copy+paste ideas from other games, most noatably these games having already been done before that achieved a decent if not better success rate and followings gained.

I noticed Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae because I remember Total Biscuit taking a gander at it, it wasn't as good as I expected just watching the gameplay and TB wasn't really that impressed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLCaOTfDLQM

It's also on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/263620/

yes there are definitely some good japanese indie games but there's also a heap of good Western Indie games like Minecraft, Terarria, Besiege. Planetary Annihilation etc, there's always going to be crap within each genre and game type, I find Turkish to be flat out wrong because as I said ebfore there are plenty of great western indie games that don't revolve around being 8-bit, 8/16/32/64 etc are all still popular styles that many still love, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that and it doesn't automatically mean they suck and are a bad thing yet Turkish takes a small gander at a few Japanese games and declares allw estern indies as shit while painting all of them with a brush.

I just find it a bit off putting when people claim one side of the planet's devs are superior to the others while painting them at the same time.

Wut. I never said western indies suck.  I said they mostly have a 8 bit/pixel art fetish which is true, there are a few good looking ones, against 1000s of bad looking ones.

To make things worse, most of them dont even know how to make good 2d art, and they're blatantly riping off Japanese classics in the excuse of being inspired by them.

It's either 2d in poor taste or sidescrollers with graphics like newgrounds.

Is Croixleur Sigma an RPG because I could get into an RPG with that style.