By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why cant we just have Religion and Atheism live in Harmony?

You know what
Okay religous and atheist can be jerks sometimes
but cant we just step past human ignorance and expand friendship

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

Around the Network
bowserthedog said:

Atheism is a belief system. If Atheism was able to answer all the questions then it would be different than a religion but it simply cant. It requires faith much like a belief in God. An Atheist must believe that God does not exist which is a belief and one that can't be proven. Athiests must take some facts that are known to base their belief on and requires faith to bridge the gap between what is known as a fact and what is not answerable.  I true non belief would be to actually not formulate an opinion on whether or not God exists.

I can't speak for all religions but I do feel that the wars are caused by flawed humans and not by the religions themselves. For example what follower of Christ could wage a war based on their religous beliefs when Christ instructs not to wage wars the way the world does and is known to be a paficist and the prince of peace.

The problem is that humans are flawed and have a desire to do evil things like wage wars and will look for anything they can to justify thier actions. Religion has been abused by humans to justify many intolerable acts. And if religion didn't exists humans would merely find a different way to justify the actions they were going to take.

Interesting standpoint

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

It's not about what you believe or "conversion" one way or the other. It's all about respect.

I can engage in dialogue with an atheist about spiritual beliefs without being rude because I respect and value the person instead of seeing a "potential convert" or a "heathen." It is very possible to respect others with different beliefs while holding strong to your own. I wish more Christians would do so in real life and Atheists would do so online.

bowserthedog said:

Atheism is a belief system. If Atheism was able to answer all the questions then it would be different than a religion but it simply cant. It requires faith much like a belief in God. An Atheist must believe that God does not exist which is a belief and one that can't be proven. Athiests must take some facts that are known to base their belief on and requires faith to bridge the gap between what is known as a fact and what is not answerable.  I true non belief would be to actually not formulate an opinion on whether or not God exists.

Atheism is not a belief system.  Atheism is a lack of belief in a God or Gods, the opposite of theism. An atheist does not have faith, because faith requires belief but an atheist lacks belief, therefore a lack of faith.

You can be religious and still be an atheist in a religion that does not require the belief in a deity (such as some forms of Buddhism). The lack of religion is irreligion and someone who is irreligious can either be an atheist or be a theist. Atheism =/=  lack of religion, the terms often intersect but they do not mean the same things.

Arrogance is the answer to the question.

Around the Network

I love the typical response, "religion is being forced down our throats" when most people here cannot even strike up a conversation with the opposite (or same) sex.

*goes to another dating advice thread

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

I consider myself atheist and tbh I don't give a shit what anyone else thinks about the world or how it was created. As long as they don't try to convert me, there isn't an issue.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Azuren said:
Honestly, it's really three things:

1. Christianity. Christians are, by nature, recruiters. They want to destroy all the world's cultures and make them Christian. That's why there are missionaries and Jehova's Witnesses. They also typically try to force their beliefs as the norm, hence the whole gay marriage thing not simply being an over night decision, but instead a several decade long argument with a brick wall.

2. Islam, for the same reasons as Christianity (though in varying levels of severity). They recruit and force others to follow their rules when able.

3. Atheists. Some of them are a bit too in your face. Okay, a lot of them, though they may justify it through reasons 1 and 2 (which are reasons that have been around much longer, while reason three is in relation to retaliating against it). Atheists need to quit changing everything to be neutral- sometimes it's okay to leave something alone in society, like Christmas or Easter. No one is forcing people to celebrate these, it's just that there are a lot of people who happen to be celebrating them. Atheists also tend to give no quarter to Christians specifically, even though Islam can be just as bad.

Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Shintoism, and Paganism do to practice in pushing religion. They're fine in my book.

OfficerRaichu15 said:

I live in a town with plenty of religous and atheist.

We dont go around arguing the matter as we all believe God/yourself gave you the choice to chose either way.

Why cant both live hand in hand?

I'd be fine with that.  Take for example who people would elect to polticial office.  Knowing nothing else about a candidate in the US being an atheist is viewed as a negative trait, with 53% of people (which is down compared to prior years so progress) saying it matters. 

My hope is it simpy not mattering does happen in my lifetime. Don't expect people to like it, but be nice if it didn't shape opinion on one's character as from my experience has nothing to do with it in a person.

The short answer? They already do.

At least as much as different ideologies can be expected to. You think this is bad? There was a time when atheists were openly ostracized, if not outright killed. Same thing with any number of religious minorities.

More to your point, it's because both sides have very strong opinions, and both sides have interest in influencing the public square with those ideas. Naturally, that leads to conflict.

And yes, atheists do that too.