By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What Does the 360 Price Drop Mean for Sony?

I just hope it gets Sony to start kicking into gear with some parts of their console. They keep promising us a better online experience, yet it is taking forever. They are marketing their console as having free online. What good is free online if it is frustrating to use. I would really like to start buying some games for my ps3 online. The price drop would not affect them as much if their online had a good reputation like that of xbox live. If that happened people would really have a reason for buying a ps3 because of the yearly fee of xbox live; therefore, consumers would understand paying the price for the ps3. They would know that their online price would be a one time fee which would be the price of the console. They are losing my money because right now I have to buy a 360 online game if I want to have a good experience. This is just my opinioon on the topic. I really think that one of the Sony trump cards is the free online if they could get it to be up to par with xbox live.

PLAYSTATON NETWORK: BLOODLINEZ

Around the Network
benjaminwillcock said:
starcraft said:

Lol, given all the media reports of broken street dates on cuts and awesome retailer bundles, i'm going to do a pooperscooper and universally declare your post to be "bs."

That's it, I called "bs" the debate is over now right?

OH and LOL @ Wii slowing down.

Oh what a surprise, it's our favorite Microsoft "ring-licker" (I can't resist a good double entendre when it presents itself) Mr. Starcraft, back with more drivel and unintelligent banter. Where've you been buddy, we thought you'd gone astray after my last scathing comment.

Hmm, I never recalled saying the Wii was slowing down as fact, but merely an observation. See, I am not like yourself, so consumed by a single product that I cannot see beyond the end of my own nose. I was also clear at the end of my last comment that we'll have to wait on those upcoming numbers to really see how the 360 performed under the new pricing scheme.

So when you said "just a quick update on European sales," you weren't trying to quantify your analysis as a reasonable and factual representation of the entire European market?

You should know that I owned a PS2, and a Nintendo 64.  But if you honestly need to list the number of exclusives PAST SONY CONSOLES had to make yourself confident in your purchase of a PS3, then you need to seriously consider trading it in for a Wii or 360 my friend.

Additionally, I would lay off the personal attacks and name-calling, or a mod will ban you.  They are becoming increasingly intolerant of Sony fanboys that sign up soley to attack other members, as evidenced by the recent spate of bannings. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:

We've heard a lotabout Sony's cost reductions, but Microsoft has kept theirs under wraps.  Do you work for them?  If not, how do you know anything about their cost reductions?  All we know is that they just casually knocked 80 Euro's off all their consoles,  a BIGGER than expected drop.  What does that say about their cost cutting?

I don't really care about price reductions.  I think it is clear that PS3 has come down in price more/quicker.  But I think this was to be expected as blu-ray players have dropped in price by 50% and this is 25% of the price of the PS3.

- No multiplatform game has been declared inferior by a developer based on Blu-Ray. PERIOD.

I can't think of a game yet that has used the extra space of blu ray to it's full potential.  But this isn't a reason to dismiss blu ray.  The 40 gig costs a mere $50 more than the Pro.  It has some other feature advantages too.  And no, I do not expect a developer to ever say that their upcoming game sucks because they didn't have enough space, period. 

- You can buy a $10 wi-fi connector for the Xbox 360, you do not need the proprietary one.

- Average Joe doesn't have a clue you can change the PS3's HDD, fortunately the Xbox 360 is the only console with a 100gb+ HDD available.

I find the double standard somewhat ironic.  We use average Joe to state that the Xbox 360 hard drive is superior, yet we think average Joe is going to install a generic wi-fi connector to his 360? 

- The arcade is now at a mass market price, why do you consider that a bad move for MS?

The arcade is selling much more poorly than the 40 gig because it lacks key essential features in the eyes of consumers.  However, I don't think this is a bad thing for MS.  Wish it was a little cheaper, but it's not market price yet.  Either is the Wii for that matter.  Wait until the end of the generation.  I think we could see some big sales when the PS3 and 360 drop into the $150-$200 range.

benjaminwillcock said:
starcraft said:

Lol, given all the media reports of broken street dates on cuts and awesome retailer bundles, i'm going to do a pooperscooper and universally declare your post to be "bs."

That's it, I called "bs" the debate is over now right?

OH and LOL @ Wii slowing down.

Oh what a surprise, it's our favorite Microsoft "ring-licker" (I can't resist a good double entendre when it presents itself) Mr. Starcraft, back with more drivel and unintelligent banter. Where've you been buddy, we thought you'd gone astray after my last scathing comment.

Hmm, I never recalled saying the Wii was slowing down as fact, but merely an observation. See, I am not like yourself, so consumed by a single product that I cannot see beyond the end of my own nose. I was also clear at the end of my last comment that we'll have to wait on those upcoming numbers to really see how the 360 performed under the new pricing scheme.

Oh, and I think I have improved your signature. Here, take a look.

Console AAA (90%+) games (metacritic):

Sony (PS1, PS2, PS3): 95

Nintendo (N64, GameCube, Wii): 48

Microsoft (Xbox, Xbox 360): 43

I think it's time you flitted away back to your Xbox community and keep living in the fantasy world you currently occupy, where Xbox 360s float above you in a dreamy haze and where the face of Steve Balmer is that of the glowing sun, beaming down upon you all. At least then this thread would stay on bloody topic.

If we are talking about all consoles from companies where are the SNES and NES. 

My websites

http://catprog.org

Online games that I play:

http://www.animecubed.com/billy/?Catprog

starcraft said:
Thats true. At the same time, whilst Microsoft has as much scope for ANOTHER cut after this one as Sony does, they too want to make a profit (prioritized over market share). So I expect they are hoping for a BIG boost in sales after this cut. They will want to ride the coat-tails of this cut for over six months, perhaps with another cut in early november. To be honest, if sales are high enough, I could see MS not cutting again this year in order to maintain high profit. I hope they don't hold off on a second 2008 cut, but I wouldn't put it past them.

microsoft cant keep lowering the cost like you may think... if so then lets get ready for ms 720 next year... and if you didnt notice they did it because sales are lagging behind the ps3.. pretty much since it launched in EU

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

Around the Network

ps3 sales = same

360 sales = better

Overall ps3 still outsells 360

I'm back...

starcraft said:

So when you said "just a quick update on European sales," you weren't trying to quantify your analysis as a reasonable and factual representation of the entire European market?

You should know that I owned a PS2, and a Nintendo 64.  But if you honestly need to list the number of exclusives PAST SONY CONSOLES had to make yourself confident in your purchase of a PS3, then you need to seriously consider trading it in for a Wii or 360 my friend.

Additionally, I would lay off the personal attacks and name-calling, or a mod will ban you.  They are becoming increasingly intolerant of Sony fanboys that sign up soley to attack other members, as evidenced by the recent spate of bannings. 

As a mere member of the public and not a sales analyst, do you honestly think my comments were rooted in fact and official findings? If you go back and re-read them it clearly states things from an observatory point, and my asking two sales clerks in two different stores how the sales were affected. 'Nuff said.

I find it rich that you go on about members being banned when all you do here is drift over from the Microsoft forums to contradict every single person who has a positive say on Sony and the PS3. I have run several forums in my time, so I think I know exactly the sort of behaviour that goes on. And what you are doing my friend, is called "trolling". You are clearly only here to incite dispute, if anyone ought to be banned it should be yourself. If you incite conflict and unrest, then expect to be stung. It's your own fault for doing as you do.

And you are the one repeatedly taking this thread off topic at every given opportunity. I also find your "fanboy" remarks faintly amusing. I have owned every single console this generation, as with the generations before it. I've owned a 360 Mr. Starcraft, I've been there and done that, as they say. In fact I probably had a 360 before you did. Have you owned a PS3? Until you have I feel your comments are the ones steeped in deep, affectionate "fanboy" drivel that have absolutely no foundations to stand on. I don't mind you accusing me of being a fanboy though, as it is like water off a duck's back to me. If being the owner of all platforms but preferring one over the other warrants somebody the title of fanboy, then so be it. 

There's a saying I am quite fond of which seems to apply here. "He who lives in a glass house shouldn't throw stones."

Now, can you please either keep on topic or go back to your Microsoft forums if you have nothing constructive whatsoever to contribute. Thank you. I'm not going to keep arguing with you as it leads to nowhere, and just gives you further reason to stick around in this neck of the woods. 

The price drop will cause the 360 to come close or even outsell the PS3 for one week or maybe two, but after that it will level off to

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

I think the price drop is more about putting final nails in the coffin of the PS2 then on the PS3. PS2 is still selling decently and this price drop may help people reconsider that purchase over a NextGen 360.

I would expect that PS3 sales may fall slightly, and 360 sales will grow decently. But, I don't expect 360 to go ahead of PS3 in Europe because of it. Sony's brand name is really too large to beat simply by a price drop.

benjaminwillcock said:

As a mere member of the public and not a sales analyst, do you honestly think my comments were rooted in fact and official findings? If you go back and re-read them it clearly states things from an observatory point, and my asking two sales clerks in two different stores how the sales were affected. 'Nuff said.

I find it rich that you go on about members being banned when all you do here is drift over from the Microsoft forums to contradict every single person who has a positive say on Sony and the PS3. I have run several forums in my time, so I think I know exactly the sort of behaviour that goes on. And what you are doing my friend, is called "trolling". You are clearly only here to incite dispute, if anyone ought to be banned it should be yourself. If you incite conflict and unrest, then expect to be stung. It's your own fault for doing as you do.

And you are the one repeatedly taking this thread off topic at every given opportunity. I also find your "fanboy" remarks faintly amusing. I have owned every single console this generation, as with the generations before it. I've owned a 360 Mr. Starcraft, I've been there and done that, as they say. In fact I probably had a 360 before you did. Have you owned a PS3? Until you have I feel your comments are the ones steeped in deep, affectionate "fanboy" drivel that have absolutely no foundations to stand on. I don't mind you accusing me of being a fanboy though, as it is like water off a duck's back to me. If being the owner of all platforms but preferring one over the other warrants somebody the title of fanboy, then so be it.

There's a saying I am quite fond of which seems to apply here. "He who lives in a glass house shouldn't throw stones."

Now, can you please either keep on topic or go back to your Microsoft forums if you have nothing constructive whatsoever to contribute. Thank you. I'm not going to keep arguing with you as it leads to nowhere, and just gives you further reason to stick around in this neck of the woods.

Of course I don't believe your comments (any of them) are remotely based in fact, you just presented them as such.  I have not "drifted over" from anywhere. I am free to spend as much time in the Sony forums as I do any other and do not belong to any forum in particular.  If you are unable to deal with contradiction of your hardcore, unswerving allegience to Sony, join PS3fanboy.com.  On a multiplatform site like this, you will actually be faced with reality, rather than a twisted distortion of actual events designed to inflate the egos of those who support the PS3 to the exclusion of other consoles.

I would point out the stupidity of your comment that I need to own a PS3 in order to have the appropriate standing to comment on it, but I'm sure the disagreement of the vast majority of site members with regard to such a comment means I don't need to bring up the rather glaring faults in your logic.

As for the glass house comment (oh so witty), I've never taken my visits of a small number of local game stores and turned them into a 'factual' analysis of 35% of the worlds gaming market, so my house is quite firmly built of bricks. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS