By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GameStop to Start Buying, Selling Retro Consoles and Games

Not long after opening up trades for the PlayStation 2, retailer GameStop is moving forward with itspreviously announced plan to buy and sell even more retro gaming consoles and games. The company is planning to launch a new pilot program for classic consoles, games, and accessories starting April 25.

IGN has the full story.

The two test markets are New York City and Birmingham, Alabama, which together total around 250 stores. A spokesperson for GameStop told IGN that it could expand the program nationwide "later this year" if there is enough interest in the pilot markets.

GameStop shoppers in the test regions can trade in and buy consoles dating all the way back to 1985's Nintendo Entertainment System. Customers can also trade in the Super NES, SEGA Genesis, original PlayStation, Nintendo 64, and SEGA Dreamcast.

All legacy consoles and games traded in to GameStop will be sent to the retailer's Refurbishment Operations Center, known as The ROC, in Texas. There, like newer systems and games, they will be inspected and tested, and repaired if necessary.

Though GameStop will begin accepting retro consoles, games, and accessories for trade on April 25, the company says it will take about two months before inventory starts showing up in stores. You won't need to travel to NYC or Alabama to buy the legacy platforms, however, as they will also be sold through GameStop's online store.

There is no word yet on what GameStop will pay for retro consoles and games, or how much they will cost when they're made available later this year for purchase. However, IGN reports that these aged consoles will also come with the standard GameStop warranty.

Head to IGN for the full story.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gamestop-to-start-buying-selling-retro-consoles-an/1100-6426646/

Around the Network

The days of used games is nearing it's end as the industry converts to digital. This is an interesting way for Gamestop to prepare.

spemanig said:
The days of used games is nearing it's end as the industry converts to digital. This is an interesting way for Gamestop to prepare.

Exactly.

Of course, now we prepare to deal with pricing based on collector demand. Oh dear.

Pac-Man 2600 with GameStop exclusive Pac-Man Fridge magnet when?

I'm betting the first PlayStation will have a trade-in value of at most $5 in cash.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Around the Network

Good.

It will expose older games and hardware to a wider audience and help keep older stuff in circulation. Amazon and whatnot are always going to offer better deals, but tend to target buyers with an specific agenda. Seeing as how actual game developers and publishers have mostly done a poor job of preserving their past works, GameStop's actions are welcome. Especially considering their sheer number of locations.

My Dream Scenario: Somebody walks into GameStop wondering if they really want to spend around $100 on a brand new AAA game, the online store debit card for DLC, and maybe an extra controller for her friend so they can play coop. Noticing the PS2 section, he decides to mix things up and get a PS2 instead. Using Amazon as a rough guide, they spend $50 for the PS2 itself and spend another $50 for Resident Evil 4, Gran Turismo 3, Jak & Daxter, Metal Gear Solid 3, Soul Calibur 2, GTA3, and Final Fantasy X. They then go on to learn more about the past of their favorite series while enjoying some great games.

Love and tolerate.

spemanig said:

How far into the future are you looking? I have not decided if I expect the PS5 to be digitally only or not yet. I expect the PS5 in 2018/2019 but I do not see the internet infrastructure of the U.S. being ready by then. So that should make Gamestop and the used market safe until atleast 2026/27

Salnax said:
Good.

It will expose older games and hardware to a wider audience and help keep older stuff in circulation. Amazon and whatnot are always going to offer better deals, but tend to target buyers with an specific agenda. Seeing as how actual game developers and publishers have mostly done a poor job of preserving their past works, GameStop's actions are welcome. Especially considering their sheer number of locations.

My Dream Scenario: Somebody walks into GameStop wondering if they really want to spend around $100 on a brand new AAA game, the online store debit card for DLC, and maybe an extra controller for her friend so they can play coop. Noticing the PS2 section, he decides to mix things up and get a PS2 instead. Using Amazon as a rough guide, they spend $50 for the PS2 itself and spend another $50 for Resident Evil 4, Gran Turismo 3, Jak & Daxter, Metal Gear Solid 3, Soul Calibur 2, GTA3, and Final Fantasy X. They then go on to learn more about the past of their favorite series while enjoying some great games.

That will not happen very often..... People looking to collect will buy them though. Also 100$ for a new game? Give me a break lol. I have 300+ games for my PS3/4/Vita and I do not think I have EVER spent 100$ on a game with all the DLC I wanted

I get what you were trying to do but grossly exaggerating is not the answer

Interesting.

It'll be cool to see what inventory they'll get.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Ultrashroomz said:
Interesting.

It'll be cool to see what inventory they'll get.

Agreed, depending on price I may pick up a few things for my collection. I want quite a few systems but have never put out the effort to get them lol. Not enough hours in a day.....