By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Probably covered, but why not? I've just bought a Wii U

So I've just bought a Wii U. What should I do now? I never owned a Wii - skipped last Nintendo gen.  What games should I get / play ? I have a few since I collect games (just for the sake of it), but I haven't really invested in Nintendo since they went the Wii route. I'm more of an Xbox / PS individual. Even back in the days, I was on Sega's side.

P.S.

I'm not the N64 type of guy (so no SB and MC for me, although I love the Zelda games); I own multiple Nes, Snes, N64, GC systems, but I haven't really entered the Wii / Wii U territory.

I bought it mostly for Bayonetta 2 (loved the first one).

Ex Graphics Whore.

Around the Network

Hmmm well definitely recommend zombiu truly a tense scary game. After that depends sm3dw is amazing with friends/family not so much one player. Assassins creed 4 is very good on Wii u. And wind waker HD is also amazing. Hope that helps abit. Oh and the Wii u pro controller is fantastic too but so is gamepad once you get used to it

Well, there are the games like Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4 that are must-gets, but there are some others i recommend:

- Hyrule Warriors - Dynasty Warriors with a Zelda skin, Its pretty decent.
- Wonderful 101 - Don't have it, but I 've heard good things about it.
- Super Mario 3DWorld - the title says it all, a great game.
- Pikmin 3 - Might be hard to find a physical copy, but Its worth getting if you want a relaxing game.
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - A 2D Platformer but more on the difficult side, a great challenge.
- Monster Hunter Tri - Basically Monster Hunter ported onto the Wii U, retains all the fun from the handhelds.
- Rayman Legends - Another great 2D Platformer.
- New Super Mario Bros. U + Luigi U - Classic Mario 2D platformers, pretty decent overall.
- Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - A great re-make of a Gamecube classic.

There are some more if you dig, but these are all enjoyable experiences.

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

Funny thing, the gamepad was one of the reasons I've decided to buy it. I'm planning to use it (not joking) while bathing, on the toilet, in the bed in off-tv mode (still afraid of battery life, though).
So far - based on youtube - I like : Zombi U, Super Mario 3d World, bayonetta 2, pikmin 3, XcX. Sorry, no Mario Kart or Super Smash since they are not my type of games (I have some older editions and I don't feel invested)

I don't plan on getting many multiplats on the Wii U.

Ex Graphics Whore.

Honestly, it's a pretty terrible console to own right now if you don't care about SB or MK.

Around the Network

Since you never owned a Wii I made a selection of essential wii/wii u games you might like.

If you bought it for Bayonetta you might also like the Wonderfull 101 and Madworld (a wii game), these are also made by Platinum. No more heroes and red steel 2 are also fun action games on the Wii

Pikmin 3 is great
Mario 3D world and both Galaxy games (wii)
Zelda wind waker and Skyward Sword (wii)
Donkey kong country tropical freeze
Shovel Knight
Metroid prime trilogy (wii, available on eshop for 20 bucks)
zombi u and rayman legends are also good games that are pretty cheap
XCX

Sin and punishment star succesor (wii)

Punch-Out (wii)

Spending warm summer days indoors   

Writing frightening verse

To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, WiiU, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Mega Drive, Game Gear, PS1, PS2, PSP, XBOX 360, Atari Lynx

spemanig said:
Honestly, it's a pretty terrible console to own right now if you don't care about SB or MK.

So is the ps4 if you don't about for Bloodborne & xbone if you don't care about .......?

spemanig said:

Well I hate smash bros but would rate my wii u over my ps4

Also I didn't enjoy any other Mario kart either but mk8 is great fun online especially with a second player (as in split screen 2 player but online). Just beware the actually distance you can take the game pad from wii u. I've moved house a few times and this current house is really bad must have thicker walls or something

Pretty much everything has been said. Although, I didn't notice anyone say Lego city or a bunch of the great exclusive indie games.
Along with that, since you missed out on the Wii, there are a crap ton of great games to get for that. The list is too long to even consider going into it. Check to 50 lists and missed gems.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.