By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can Fatal Frame V become the best-selling entry in the series?

Can FF5 sell the most in the series?

Yes, it's possible. 169 70.12%

No, you're insane. 54 22.41%

See results. 18 7.47%

Total:241

The bigger question is whether being the biggest selling game in a franchise at 230K is any sort of achievement? I think the bigger celebration is the fact that Fatal Frame 5 even exists given previous entries with global releases all sold what would normally regarded as quite badly.

The Wii U install base is plenty large enough to accomodate sales of >150K outside of Japan. So the main question is whether the Wii U install base outside of Japan contains that many gamers who would actually be interested in thhis series. It appears that Fatal Frame has never been on a Nintendo console outside of Japan, so how much of a following does fatal frame have within the Nintendo ecosystem?

From the performance of this game in Japan there doesn't seem to be any indication that this will be a breakout game that takes the franchise into the mainstream. It looks like 200K is achievable. But whether it can get that extra 30K I'm not sure.

With only modest expectations for sales there is no way this game is getting a full monty marketing campaign. But this is where social media gives the game potential for promotion which none of the previous games ever had. It's a shame that Nintendo are so draconian and backwards with their policies on this front.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

It's possible, it depends on how Nintendo pushes the game. It's a very niche game, if it could reach, let's say, 300k, it would be a sucess. Although my expectations are around 200k WW, not bad for a niche game like FFV. I'm surprised that Fatal Frame 2: Wii Edition didn't sell anything in Europe, I bought that game and I thought it could reach, at least, 20k copies...

I hope it does, awesome underrated series

binary solo said:
The bigger question is whether being the biggest selling game in a franchise at 230K is any sort of achievement? I think the bigger celebration is the fact that Fatal Frame 5 even exists given previous entries with global releases all sold what would normally regarded as quite badly.

The Wii U install base is plenty large enough to accomodate sales of >150K outside of Japan. So the main question is whether the Wii U install base outside of Japan contains that many gamers who would actually be interested in thhis series. It appears that Fatal Frame has never been on a Nintendo console outside of Japan, so how much of a following does fatal frame have within the Nintendo ecosystem?

EU is outside of Japan. Had Fatal Frame 2 Wii & the 3DS FF. Vgchartz has wrong numbers as always.

What is so special with this series that Nintendo wants to keep it?

• They threaten to kill the Fire Emblem series that is probably cheaper to develop but sells these numbers minimum only in Japan.
  • They hesitate to make another Metroid because the last experimental one did not sell "well enough" (1.3 million). 
  • It takes serious fan pressure to make another Star Fox (selling almost a million of a port of a 14 year old game).
  • F-Zero, Pilotwings, Wave Race, 1080º, Paper Mario, Mario Golf does not get new games while Fatal Frame is getting new chances even when it sells badly all the time.

Around the Network
binary solo said:
But this is where social media gives the game potential for promotion which none of the previous games ever had. It's a shame that Nintendo are so draconian and backwards with their policies on this front.

Yeah this is a game that could benefit enormously from youtube promotion.

baloofarsan said:

What is so special with this series that Nintendo wants to keep it?

• They threaten to kill the Fire Emblem series that is probably cheaper to develop but sells these numbers minimum only in Japan.
  • They hesitate to make another Metroid because the last experimental one did not sell "well enough" (1.3 million). 
  • It takes serious fan pressure to make another Star Fox (selling almost a million of a port of a 14 year old game).
  • F-Zero, Pilotwings, Wave Race, 1080º, Paper Mario, Mario Golf does not get new games while Fatal Frame is getting new chances even when it sells badly all the time.

There has been a Mario Golf game just recently lol.

Agreed about the rest though. I'd like to see a good Snowboard game inspired by SSX3, a Paper Mario on consoles and Metroid. Don't care about the rest though.

baloofarsan said:

Because, with the exception of F Zero, Fatal Frame is way better than any of those franchises. ;)

And you got a Pilotwings on 3DS. :P

curl-6 said:
baloofarsan said:

Because, with the exception of F Zero, Fatal Frame is way better than any of those franchises. ;)

And you got a Pilotwings on 3DS. :P

Sorry, should only have taken Wii U examples!

PSA: Last time I made a Fatal Frame thread, it was about why I thought it would localized. A few months later, it was confirmed for localization. Just FYI.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread