By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Finally finished the Metroid Prime Trilogy

I had completed the first two games multiple times on the Gamecube, but had never played Prime 3. I just never got the game for my Wii. A friend of mine did lend me his copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy back then, but at the time, I was too used to the Gamecube controllers that the switch to motion controls turned me off... How wrong I was. xD

Anyway, doing them back to back certainly made for one heck of a ride. Now, I'm ready for the follow-up!

End of Metroid Prime 3 SPOILER: That chasing aircraft at the end needs to be addressed by Retro!

I don't really need to explain to anyone what makes these games awesome, but I have to say that it's quite telling that despite having played all three games in a row without any pause in-between, I still find myself craving for more!

That's a testament to how good those games are!

Now, people are wondering about that rumor that says they are working on a new engine for the Wii U. I definitely hope it's for a new entry in the Metroid franchise.

Sure, I'd like them to tackle a 2D Metroid game. But if they choose to continue down the first person road, I have absolutely no objection. Although, now that I'm used to the motion controls, I really wouldn't go back to regular twin sticks controls. And since the default Wii U controller isn't the Wii-mote, I feel they'd build a game around the Gamepad, which mean we'd be back to controlling the game with twin-sticks. Some might say they could put the option to use the Wii-Mote, but I suspect the game would make extensive use of the touch-screen, making it doubtful they'd go that route.

In any case, I hope they continue making Metroid games, because Yoshio Sakamoto kinda lost his touch and Retro made the best Metroid games since Super Metroid.

Now, since I'm bathing in Retro Studios' greatness, I'll follow this up by finally getting Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze later this week. 

Around the Network

best case scenario, nintendo announces a retro studios style metroid game for the wii u to release this holiday season.

worst case scenario, nintendo waits another generation to release such a game.

Glad you enjoyed it! Finest first-person controls, in my opinion!

I love them. I´m currently playing Echoes. Is theonly one that I´ve never play before, but now thanks to Nintendo I had the 3 games for 10$. And man, that game is dark, I love it. And I love the wii-mote for those games, is the best way to play shooters, is almost mouse accuracy. But I like them with normal controls too. I guess the new metroid will use the gamepad as a scanner, it makes sense.

Yeahhh :) awsome! I loved the metroid Prime trilogy, huge fan of it

Around the Network

Yeah, one of the best trilogy of games I've ever played. I'd love to see a new Metroid Prime on WiiU, but I'd also like to play a new 2D one (Super Metroid is my favorite Metroid...). Metroid Prime for WiiU and Metroid 2D for 3DS? That would be great. I hope Retro is working on this, but, I wouldn't mind if they are making a new IP. I think they deserve it.

Goodnightmoon said:
I love them. I´m currently playing Echoes. Is theonly one that I´ve never play before, but now thanks to Nintendo I had the 3 games for 10$. And man, that game is dark, I love it. And I love the wii-mote for those games, is the best way to play shooters, is almost mouse accuracy. But I like them with normal controls too. I guess the new metroid will use the gamepad as a scanner, it makes sense.

The thing I don't like in the Wii versions of the first 2 games is how you switch beams. You switch them so often to open different doors and to attack different enemy types. So having that pause where you press + to then select with a cursor which one you want made it quite clunky in comparison to the C stick mapping of the originals. For the visors, it wasn't as bad, since you usually don't have to switch between them much in battle. But for the beam, especially in Prime 2 when there are a lot of different colored Pirates on screen... Nah! 

But that's my only gripe about the Wii versions of those games. The added precision of the aiming and the improved immersion that such a control scheme provided more than makes up for this little blemish.

I love how Retro addressed this in Prime 3 by making the weapons stack just like they did in Super Metroid. Like this, there are no reason to switch. And the game feels faster and more streamlined. Making for a smoother gaming experience. 

Volterra_90 said:
Yeah, one of the best trilogy of games I've ever played. I'd love to see a new Metroid Prime on WiiU, but I'd also like to play a new 2D one (Super Metroid is my favorite Metroid...). Metroid Prime for WiiU and Metroid 2D for 3DS? That would be great. I hope Retro is working on this, but, I wouldn't mind if they are making a new IP. I think they deserve it.

Yeah, Super Metroid is at the top of my favourite games of all time list. So I'd like it if Retro Studios use the expertise they've gained from making 2D DKC games, and make a new 2D Metroid for the Wii U. 

I... really miss Speed Boosting through the environments. xD

Hynad said:
Goodnightmoon said:

The thing I don't like in the Wii versions of the first 2 games is how you switch beams. You switch them so often to open different doors and to attack different enemy types. So having that pause where you press + to then select with a cursor which one you want made it quite clunky in comparison to the C stick mapping of the originals. For the visors, it wasn't as bad, since you usually don't have to switch between them much in battle. But for the beam, especially in Prime 2 when there are a lot of different colored Pirates on screen... Nah! 

But that's my only gripe about the Wii versions of those games. The added precision of the aiming and the improved immersion that such a control scheme provided more than makes up for this little blemish.

I love how Retro addressed this in Prime 3 by making the weapons stack just like they did in Super Metroid. Like this, there are no reason to switch. And the game feels faster and more streamlined. Making for a smoother gaming experience. 

You mean Prime 1, you don't need to switch that much in Prime 2.

wow back to back?I had to wait 2 months after I finished Prime 1 before I was in the mood for 2.