By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The financials behind Nintendo going 3rd party

Anfebious said:
Teeqoz said:

That does not take from the fact that many devs manage to make quality games despite developping for multiple, and far more different platforms than the PS4/XBO/PC, so there's no reason why Nintendo shouldn't be able to do the same. Sure, it'll be a big change, but if they ease their way into it, by making their devs getting used to the dev kits for the new platforms before they start the actual shift, I don't see why Nintendo would suddenly start making shit games.

True, but i don't think Nintendo going third party is necessary for now. It's not the worst idea but I see no reason for them to do it.

As long as Nintendo can provide quality hardware (Something the Wii U didn't provide) and quality software there is no need for them to go third party.

I agree that Nintendo could do just fine without it, but going third party eliminates the risk that comes from producing your own hardware.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Anfebious said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Which is much more to do with 3rd parties ignoring the Wii than it being hard to develop for multiple platforms...

That's besides the point because the Wii was a success! Enought proof that Nintendo can drive it's bussiness with both hardware and first party software.

What's that got to do with anything? The point you were trying to make is that Nintendo games would somehow start being bad if they were multiplat. A point that there is no evidence to back up.

Zelda CDi says hi :)

PREDICTIONS FOR END OF 2015: (Made Jan 1st 2015)

PS4 - 34M - XB1 - 21m - WII U -12M

From fiscal year 1991 to 2006, Nintendo sold about 300 million units of hardware, 1.5 billion units of software and posted posted profits of about 15 billion.

So during the 4th/5th/6th generations, Nintendo was averaging about 20 million units of hardware, 100 million units of software and 1 billion dollars in profits annually.

Nintendo made some pretty big mistakes this generation that cause them to miss out on those types of numbers.

Highest priced Nintendo generation ever, adjusted for inflation u could get both Nintendo handheld & console for about $300 in 1993/1998/2003 vs $500 in 2014/2015.

Nintendo sold hardware at a loss for 3 consecutive years, 3DS for a year after first price cut & Wii U for 2 years post-launch.

Customer confusion, many people think or thought 3DS was just a DS revision and that Wii U was just a Wii accessory.

With more affordable hardware, sold at a profit along with strong advertising/marketing, I think Nintendo can certainly get back to their 100 million hardware, 500 million software, $5 billion profits per generation that they had back in the 4th/5th/6th gen. If they can do that then there is absolutely no reason for Nintendo to go 3rd party.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

kristianity77 said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Anfebious said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Which is much more to do with 3rd parties ignoring the Wii than it being hard to develop for multiple platforms...

That's besides the point because the Wii was a success! Enought proof that Nintendo can drive it's bussiness with both hardware and first party software.

What's that got to do with anything? The point you were trying to make is that Nintendo games would somehow start being bad if they were multiplat. A point that there is no evidence to back up.

Which was neither developped by Nintendo nor was it a multiplat game.

zorg1000 said:

With more affordable hardware, sold at a profit along with strong advertising/marketing, I think Nintendo can certainly get back to their 100 million hardware, 500 million software, $5 billion profits per generation that they had back in the 4th/5th/6th gen. If they can do that then there is absolutely no reason for Nintendo to go 3rd party.

Except if they could get more than their normal $5 billion profits per generation from going 3rd party....

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Anfebious said:

No, my whole point was trying to prove why it's not necessary for Nintendo to go third party.

-Nintendo can be successful if both hardware and software are done right.

-Nintendo games are of higher quality because they are developed for only one console.

So there is no need for them to go third party! Yet...

But yeah Nintendo games would probably be inferior if they where multiplat. Because of all the shit I said before.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Ka-pi96 said:
Anfebious said:

No, my whole point was trying to prove why it's not necessary for Nintendo to go third party.

-Nintendo can be successful if both hardware and software are done right.

-Nintendo games are of higher quality because they are developed for only one console.

So there is no need for them to go third party! Yet...

But yeah Nintendo games would probably be inferior if they where multiplat. Because of all the shit I said before.

Well how could facts compete with that! :o

See, you can't compete in an internet argument. I always win.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Teeqoz said:
kristianity77 said:

Yes, perhaps I should have made it more clear that it was a joke......

PREDICTIONS FOR END OF 2015: (Made Jan 1st 2015)

PS4 - 34M - XB1 - 21m - WII U -12M

kristianity77 said:
Teeqoz said:

Yes, perhaps I should have made it more clear that it was a joke......

I took it as a "In your face but at the same time tounge in cheek comment" lol. Ah, all is well.

Teeqoz said:
zorg1000 said:

Except if they could get more than their normal $5 billion profits per generation from going 3rd party....

U don't just bail out of a market that gives u $1 billion annually for something that may or may not pay off, if Nintendo was in some dire situation like Sega was than yes they should try their hand at being a 3rd party developer but they aren't so there is no reason to.

Once we take into account things like mobile games/apps, Quality of Life, Amiibo and IP licensing (films/series) than they could possibly be posting DS/Wii-era profits which was about $15 billion over the course of 5 years.

Nintendo is in a good position to make alot of money in the future, there is no reason to abandon dedicated hardware unless it's something that needs to be done and in Nintendo's case, it's not something that need to be done.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.