By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo Will Win the China Console War

Will Nintendo Win the China Console War?

Nintendo will win 44 40.00%

Sony will win 45 40.91%

Microsoft will win 3 2.73%

Nintendo will not expand into China 18 16.36%

Total:110

Sony and Microsoft are tripping over each other... racing to be first in China, trying to get a foundation in one of gaming's largest potential markets.

But things aren't as simple as being first or setting an early foundation.

China is a very conservative country. The authorities are very vigilant of what content comes in and and how it comes in. Violent games and frugal use of online services are a big no no. This is why the Xbox One and PS4 both launched in China with very few games and limited online services/content.

Over here in the west, our love for violent games and online gaming caused us to criticise Nintendo's development choices as well as the engineering decisions behind the Wii U. But when it comes to China the script is flipped completely. 

Nintendo has some serious advantages if they decide to head into China and here they are:

1. Nearly all of Nintendo's first party games are high quality, family friendly games

2. Nintendo has been very conservative/restrictive in the way they have implemented online features on their consoles/handhelds

3. Nintendo has an impeccable track record when is comes to showing concern about/protecting the gamers who use their devices.

These are some seriously strong pluses for Nintendo when it comes to expanding into China.

If Nintendo decides to head into China (and I see no reason from a business perspective why they wont), it will be a force to be reckoned with.

Feel free to share your thoughts.

Around the Network

Is the wii u out in China?

I am pretty sure they are just going to release a new console in China.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/05/nintendo_creating_a_new_console_for_emerging_markets_including_china

Didn't Iwata had an interview about that topic a long time ago? I recall him saying that they need to have cheap hardware for the chinese market as the average chinese gamer doesn't have much money for gaming.

Edit: It's in the post above this one... xD

Would be interesting. I mean, they already have the 3ds there a long time ago under the name iQue so yea

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

You don't know much about the China market do you.....

A new handheld would be a good bet for Nintendo.... I don't think the new 3ds will impress them because every has faster phones.

Maybe Nintendo's waiting till the nx (what ever that is).

Chinese people mainly seem to play (mainly crap) phone games and online pc game. I hope the new console market increases their range of gaming tastes a little.

Of course Nintendo would. Most of the colorful IP's would be allowed to sell there, plus Asia likes Nintendo.

IF ONLY THEY BOTHERED TO RELEASE AT LEAST THE 3DS THERE AND LOCALISED GAMES!!!!!!!!

Just saying....

It have a stronge chance for win...

I agree.

You mean the Nintendo that's yet to reveal their plans for China is going to overtake their competitors that already released their devices there?

Just because Nintendo's games are family friendly doesn't mean they'll be huge successes either, lol.