By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - D-Pad vs Analog Sticks

Which do you like the most?

The D-Pad for life 14 24.56%

Anolog sticks were the future 36 63.16%

N/A 7 12.28%

Total:57

"If there's no purpose to the analogue, and it just makes inputs unnecesarily long, like in fighting games, then I go with the D-pad.."

I basically view it the other way around.
If its unnessary long to do on a Dpad with taps, and fine grande control from analong is faster, then its better than the D-pad.

Else..... use the darn D-pad :)

Around the Network
Mr.Playstation said:
Updated OP to reflect upper comments, base your vote/ opinion on 2.5D games as these can both be played perfectly on a D-pad or Analog stick so it then all comes down to personal preference.

2.5D is a myth. It doesn't exist. It's just 2D rendered in 3D. There's literally no mechanical difference.

D-pad is more precise, so I'd choose that mostly for 2D games

Analogue has more directionality so it's good for 3D games

but of course, this depends on the game itself

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

2.5d? Like Crash Bandicoot? That's what separates 3 from 1 and 2 in that series. The analogue is so much better for controlling. For 2.5d like DKC I'll take Dpad (though I like Sony's Dpad more than Nintendo's this gen)

I am Iron Man

Depends on the type of game, I used Dpad for Rayman Origins/Legends on the Vita. Anything I played when I was young I used dpad though and still do, pretty much every ps1/ps2 game (CTR, Wipeout Fusion, Spyro the Dragon) where it's possible to use d-pad.

Now It's very rare I don't use analog.

Around the Network

As everyone said, depends on the game.

For the most part, I prefer an analog stick, but for things like 2D platformers and shooters, D-Pad is the way to go.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Dpad is better

Dpad only for side scrollers and fighting games. One of the reasons why I prefer the Dualshock.

Edit: It depends on the game; I don't have a preference.

.- -... -.-. -..

When playing Ori, I switch between them both depending in what I am doing in the game. Overall, i prefer D-pad though.

spemanig said:
Mr.Playstation said:
Updated OP to reflect upper comments, base your vote/ opinion on 2.5D games as these can both be played perfectly on a D-pad or Analog stick so it then all comes down to personal preference.

2.5D is a myth. It doesn't exist. It's just 2D rendered in 3D. There's literally no mechanical difference.

2.5D I think it's games like little big planet. It's mostly 2D but the layers make it more while not making it a 3D game.

Though bringing those games up is pointless fur this discussion since the d pad only controls expressions in little big planet