By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Trends is the New Polygon

Ka-pi96 said:
Teeqoz said:

@Kapi, have you even played Journey? Or is it just your indie hatred talking?

You don't need to play a game to know that it will be far from enjoyable...

Golden

Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you are necessarily right.

Around the Network

When they gave The Order a 20 and Battlefield Hardline a 90, that was when they lost the little credibility they had.

Someone care to bother to look up who is reviewing these games?

Zekkyou said:

They have thus far been a lot more generous with their scoring of X1 exclusives than PS4 ones (9, 9, 9, 10 vs 2, 6, 8, with each X1 score being higher than the average and each PS4 score lower), but the sample size really isn't large enough to start placing definitive labels on them.

Regardless to if they're legitimate though, I have to admit I disagree with a lot of the scores they've given (to both exclusives and multi-plats) :p

Wow at those scores x}

I won't accuse Digital Trends for having a "hidden" agenda but I gotta say many of their reviews really do stand out. These are some of their most recent:

10/10 Sunset Overdrive
9/10 Halo: The Masterchief Collection
9/10 Forza Horizon 2
8/10 Halo Spartan Assault
8/10 Forza Motorsport 5
8/10 The Last of Us Remastered
7/10 Ryse: Son of Rome
2/10 The Order 1886

And no it has nothing to do with different people reviewing games at different terms because Adam Rosenberg is the reviewer behind all of the above (he's a former writer on Official Xbox Magazine by the way). Their reviews of Infamous, Killzone and Knack aren't written by Rosenberg.

Edit: It turns out that the 2 founders of Digital Trends have worked with Microsoft before. Ouch x}

Ian Bell: Former recipient of Microsoft MVP
Dan Gaul: Former Software Test Engineer on the Exchange Server NNTP team of Microsoft

Turkish said:

When they gave The Order a 20 and Battlefield Hardline a 90, that was when they lost the little credibility they had.

Someone care to bother to look up who is reviewing these games?

Mostly Adam Rosenberg besides Ryan Fleming (Infamous SS, Killzone SF and Knack) and freelancers like Michael Rougeau (Bloodborne) and Anthony John Agnello (LittleBigPlanet 3).

Rosenberg:
10/10 Sunset Overdrive
9/10 Forza Horizon 2
8/10 Forza Motorsport 5
2/10 The Order 1886

Mike_L said:
Zekkyou said:

They have thus far been a lot more generous with their scoring of X1 exclusives than PS4 ones (9, 9, 9, 10 vs 2, 6, 8, with each X1 score being higher than the average and each PS4 score lower), but the sample size really isn't large enough to start placing definitive labels on them.

Regardless to if they're legitimate though, I have to admit I disagree with a lot of the scores they've given (to both exclusives and multi-plats) :p

Wow at those scores x}

I won't accuse Digital Trends for having a "hidden" agenda but I gotta say many of their reviews really do stand out. These are some of their most recent:

10/10 Sunset Overdrive
9/10 Forza Horizon 2
8/10 Forza Motorsport 5
2/10 The Order 1886

And no it has nothing to do with different people reviewing games at different terms because Adam Rosenberg is the reviewer behind all of the above (he's a former writer on Official Xbox Magazine by the way). Their reviews of Infamous, Killzone and Knack aren't written by Rosenberg.

Edit: It turns out that the 2 founders of Digital Trends have worked with Microsoft before. Ouch x}

Dan Gaul: Former Software Test Engineer on the Exchange Server NNTP team of Microsoft

This needs to get viral. How are they even allowed to review PS games.

Around the Network

I always found it odd that Metacritic converts 5 Star Ratings into 10 point scale ratings. I never got the impression that 2 stars = a 4/10.

Turkish said:
Mike_L said:
Zekkyou said:

Wow at those scores x}

10/10 Sunset Overdrive
9/10 Forza Horizon 2
8/10 Forza Motorsport 5
2/10 The Order 1886

This needs to get viral. How are they even allowed to review PS games.

I'm wondering that as well. And what do sites like Digital Trends gain from having biased reviewers?

Regardless of people's bias it's crucial to act professionally and unbiased working as a reviewer. It would be perfectly fine for Digital Trends to be compensated by Microsoft for talking positively about their products (as Microsoft do with youtubers) but in that case Digital Trends must be clear that they're sponsored/compensated/funded/etc. by Microsoft. Otherwise it's a threat to the credibility of media. It's also illegal.

Western society is not one bit better than North Korea if what we're told by media is controlled by people with certain interests.

Mike_L said:
Zekkyou said:

Wow at those scores x}

10/10 Sunset Overdrive
9/10 Forza Horizon 2
8/10 Forza Motorsport 5
2/10 The Order 1886

wow. I knew I was on to something when I saw the scores. Like I said its like they are not even trying to hide it. I am not saying thier is a consiracy (MS paying them to make bad reviews). I think this what it looks like when a fanboy gets a site to make reviews.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

The only scores that threw me off were Sunset Overdrive at 100 and The Order at 20. Haven't bothered to read either review and haven't played either games but still...

Other then that everything seems within the realms of reason. X1 exclusives seem to have been rated higher then PS4 ones up until the arrival of bloodborne, so I wouldn't pay too much attention to that

The Order being a 20 is an absolute disgrace. It has it's problems and design flaws but a score of 20 is for the worst of the worst in all aspects. The Order is not a 20.