By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Trends is the New Polygon

Wagram said:
The Order being a 20 is an absolute disgrace. It has it's problems and design flaws but a score of 20 is for the worst of the worst in all aspects. The Order is not a 20.

yep that score was one of the 1st to go up for the order also. they wanted to get that in their right away to affect people's opinions. Its not a matter of being a harsh reviewer they hand out 8s, 9s, 10s, to Nintendo (not a threat to them) and XB1 games.

Its seems with sony they are well below meta

Right around meta with nintendo

well above meta on XB1

Multiplat they are schizo. BF:HL (The only major release the 1 has for months) gets a 9, buy DA:I 7, Evil Within 4 and it goes on and on.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Around the Network
tokilamockingbrd said:
Mike_L said:
Zekkyou said:

Wow at those scores x}

I won't accuse Digital Trends for having a "hidden" agenda but I gotta say many of their reviews really do stand out. These are some of their most recent:

10/10 Sunset Overdrive
9/10 Halo: The Masterchief Collection
9/10 Forza Horizon 2
8/10 Halo Spartan Assault
8/10 Forza Motorsport 5
8/10 The Last of Us Remastered
7/10 Ryse: Son of Rome
2/10 The Order 1886

And no it has nothing to do with different people reviewing games at different terms because Adam Rosenberg is the reviewer behind all of the above (he's a former writer on Official Xbox Magazine by the way). Their reviews of Infamous, Killzone and Knack aren't written by Rosenberg.

Edit: It turns out that the 2 founders of Digital Trends have worked with Microsoft before. Ouch x}

Ian Bell: Former recipient of Microsoft MVP
Dan Gaul: Former Software Test Engineer on the Exchange Server NNTP team of Microsoft

wow. I knew I was on to something when I saw the scores. Like I said its like they are not even trying to hide it. I am not saying thier is a consiracy (MS paying them to make bad reviews). I think this what it looks like when a fanboy gets a site to make reviews.

Something seems fishy, that's for sure. Whether it's because of the fact that founders (Ian Bell and Dan Gaul) and other core members (Andrew Budkofsky, Adam Rosenberg, etc.) of Digital Trends have all worked with Microsoft before and therefore are "fanboys" as you put it or whether it's because they're compensated economically by Microsoft for talking positively about their products (like Microsoft's stealth promotions on youtube) we don't know and probably never will.

teigaga said:

The only scores that threw me off were Sunset Overdrive at 100 and The Order at 20. Haven't bothered to read either review and haven't played either games but still...

Yeah, comparing their 2/10 review of The Order and 7/10 review of Ryse threw me off a little as well especially because of their reasoning (both games are reviewed by Adam Rosenberg).
Ryse: Son of Rome - Highes: "Reward-driven execution QTEs a fresh idea for combat"
The Order 1886 - Lows: "Too much emphasis on watching over playing"

Though I was mostly suprised to see Halo Spartan Assault and The Last of Us both scoring 8/10 (again, both games are reviewed by Adam Rosenberg). They're just unusually different from the average meta score (53 and 95 respectively).